Coming Soon - Pool Build in Austin TX

Dascrow

Jan 31, 2019
Austin TX
Hi, We are getting ready to sign on the dotted line with a PB and I wanted to get some input on this design from the community. I've really enjoying reading all of the threads and have already soaked up some great information. Once we get past this part I look forward to posting the entire build process!

Here are the proposed specs of the pool:
  • Pool Dimensions: 33'x24'
  • Pool Area: 586SF
  • Pool Depth: 3'-5'6"
  • Spa Dimensions 11'9" x 6'2"
  • Spa Area: 65 SF
  • Total Gallons: 15,000
Are there any pros/cons to having the pool so wide vs longer and more narrow?
We will be on propane and I'm concerned the spa might be too big and cost too much to heat? Thoughts?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and advice.

austin-pb1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! :wave: Congrats on the new project. What what really help everyone here answer your questions is to know more about the equipment. Try to find and post back anything you can get like pump type, HP, speeds, filter type/size, type of chlorination (SWG, manual, etc), number of return jets, heater info, etc. The more we know the better we can help.

Here is my input! I love what I see. It looks like a natural lake! I see a good swim lane from one side to the other as well as being able to swim around the edge of the pool!

Now lets talk about details:
-3' is too shallow-you cannot do a crawl stroke without scraping your knuckles.
-5'6"=why did you pick this depth? 6' is better for jumping into and some swimming down to play pick.
-depths overall-where will be the shallow and deeper?

Do you have the "detail" plans you can share? That will help me know what is where.

I LOVE the design though!!!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Dascrow
Thanks for the suggestions on the depth. I believe the PB has it only 3ft right around the entry way and benches. Most of the pool area will be four feet and then the deep end is towards the hot tub. I'm also thinking about flipping the spa around so the curves on the hot tub face towards the pool.

We are on 3 acres so there is plenty of room to position the pool anywhere. We are trying to work around some of the larger existing trees though.

Now, on to the details:
Pool Shell: 1/2 inch grade 40 Steel Rebar on 10 inch centers
Pool Bond Beam: 1/2 inch grade 40 Steel Rebar X 4
Concrete: Dry mix gunite rated to exceed APSP building standards
Thickness: 12” bond beam, 12” walls / floor
Pool Pipes: 3 inch schedule 40 PVC
Returns: (4) A&A Infusion V-fittings inlets, placed for maximum efficiency
Skimmers: (2) A&A Venturi Quick Skim plumbed for optimum control
Drains: AVSC unblockable channel drain with LeafVac
Spa Pipes: 3 inch schedule 40 PVC
Spa Jets: 8 jets
Spa Air: Included
Overflow Line: N/A
Cleaner Line: (1) independently plumbed
Electrical: Hookup from exterior sub-panel, bonding by electrical code (UL) Includes all required circuit breakers and GFCI, etc

Start-Up: Pool School upon filling of pool
Maintenance: 16’ telescoping pole, brush, net, thermometer, and test kit
Main Pump: Jandy VS FLOPRO Energy Star (Variable Speed)
Filter: Jandy CV Series 460 SF cartridge
Heater: 400k BTU Raypak LP
Blower: 2.0 HP Quiet Motor
Cleaner: N/A
Remotes: Jandy IQ904 PS full automation App
Sanitizers: Fusion Nature 2 and Delta UV (*We plan on taking this off, but it was in the quote)
Pool Light: (2) Colorlogic LED & 1 located at tanning ledge
Spa Light: (2) Colorlogic LED

Spa shape-I would leave it like it is IF you leave it there. I really think that is purrfect like that. Now notice I said "if you leave it there".............What about moving it over to the right. This will put it by the seating and closer to the house........this is good for chatting and TV watching while in the pool.

-Overflow line-why is it not being done? You will wish for it the first time you have a big rain!
-Skimmers: (2) A&A Venturi Quick Skim plumbed for optimum control-More details please on how they will do this.
-Drains: AVSC unblockable channel drain with LeafVac-I want more details on this one to learn about it. I have not see one that talks about "LeafVac" before. Sound neat!
-Start-Up: Pool School upon filling of pool-Will this include chemicals? It should.
-all equipment needs model numbers-share them here so we can make sure it is what you need for your pool.
-Sanitizers: Fusion Nature 2 and Delta UV (*We plan on taking this off, but it was in the quote) -What will you use instead?
-Valves-make sure they use the "good" ones like Jandy neverlube NOT the ball valves from the big box stores.
-lights in pool-is it a total of 3? 2 in pool and 1 on tanning ledge or 2 in total?

This should keep you busy for a while!

The Fusion thing is a mineral (copper or zinc) that will stain your pool. The other part uses trichlor, which is not a sustainable method of sanitizing your pool water. Read How to Chlorinate your Pool.

Either get a SWCG or plan to use liquid chlorine added daily.

I am so glad I asked! Talk about a bullet dodged! Read the link Marty shared. It has great info.

The SWG is the most trouble free way to go. It does have the ouch effect when you see the price but it makes pool care SO easy it is worth it! In the end liquid chlorine vs SWG ends up costing about the same. It just takes some time for the liquid chlorine to add up. Let us know what you decide to do and we can help pick out what will best fit your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One other concern I have is I'm on well water and the water is extremely hard. For the house I have a commercial water softener setup and system to remove the sulfer and other sediments out of the water. Would that have any impact on the decision to go liquid chlorine vs SWG ? We've already talked about the trucking water in for the initial setup.

It will not impact it at all. Chlorine is chlorine. I WOULD truck in for the first fill up AND make sure your water bib that will help top the pool off as needed goes through the water softener AND has a bypass in case you don't want to use the softener for some reason.

That is a VERY good question and concern!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.