Combination of tabs and liquid chlorine. Ok?

Eduardo69

Jul 28, 2022
Houston
Pool Size
I use tabs to clorinate my pool, but often I need to add granular chlorine to maintain appropriate levels. Because I do not want to increase calcium or stabilizer too much, I thought about combining the tabs with liquid chlorine once or twice a week.
Would this be ok?
And if it is OK, then, should I also shock the pool with liquid chlorine when needed?
If I use liquid clorine regularly, can I occasionally use cal hypo to shock it?
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum.
You must maintain your FC at all times above minimum as shown on the FC/CYA Levels
The continuous use of trichlor means your CYA is increasing. So you must test it often to know what level the FC must be maintained at. 'Shock' is not needed. But daily maintenance is.

Be careful using cal hypo. It adds calcium, which your pool water may not need. It also is the most dangerous pool chemical to store.

Reactions: Eduardo69
I used to use Tabs and Cal Hypo (I didn't realize it was dangerous) in my pool until I found the TFP way. I did use Tabs after learning the TFP way for vacations since there was no way for my pool to get chlorinated while I was away. I knew my CYA would go up but I also knew that at the end of the season I would be draining the pool somewhat to winterize.

I used bleach as my liquid chlorine since it was very cheap and readily accessible everywhere. Things have changed a little since I had my pool as bleach has more than doubled in price and I'm seeing big box stores carry liquid pool chlorine so a cost analysis would need to be done today.

I agree that you should get a good water testing kit. Learn to use it and trust it. Stick with 1 form of chlorine that adds the least amount of things to your water which is liquid. And use tabs for when you can't be around your pool any length of time knowing that they will add CYA to your water. But once you get testing down pat you'll know how to deal with it all.

And if it is OK, then, should I also shock the pool with liquid chlorine when needed?
If I use liquid clorine regularly, can I occasionally use cal hypo to shock it?
If you use LC on a consistent basis, there is no need to shock your pool. I am in Houston area as well and I currently add a half gallon of 10% LC per day which I purchase at Home Depot or Walmart. I add 32 oz (1 qt) in morning and another 32 oz in late afternoon. This keeps the FC at a consistent level throughout the day. Never ever had to shock.

I stopped using any powder “shock” years ago when I made the switch to LC. Also, I do use trichlor pucks when I am away for a week or so. I first bring the FC up to SLAM level with LC, then add the pucks to a floater in the pool. If away time gets extended I can find a neighbor or a family member to drop bay to add LC.

Hope this helps. Your pool volume is just a bit lower than mine, so the process with LC works. My pool is about 90% in sun all day.

Go to the TFP Pool School page, and start by reading through the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

I've had my pool for a bit over two years now, following the TFP methodology ... and have never shocked my pool ... not even one time. I've never had algae, or any other water quality issue with my pool.

It is worth investing the time to learn the TFP method. After having my pool for 1 year, I calculated the entire cost of everything it took to operate for that year time. Chemicals and pump electricity ... it can out to right around $300. It may be different for you, of course, but I mention this to possibly encourage you to read up on the TFP way so you can understand the approach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.