cloudy water

Jul 20, 2013
Northeast
Pool has been opened for almost 5 days. Started slamming and adding CYA right away.
CYA reading was 5 (Leslies)
Added CYA to ~~35 (R0013, Leslie reading was 42). Now, 3 days later 25-30 (R0013. Will test at Leslies, hoping their CYA test result is more consistent than mine)
Slammed according to instructions - to 10, to 12 to 14.
overnight chlorine loss 0.5-1. Yestarday was 1.5 .
Tried to lower TA by lowering PH twice, but PH stuck at 7.6. (I always had high TA, but ignored it)
Added 12lb of CH over the period of 3 days (something I always did much later, when pool water was clean)

Can still smell chlorine

I've been having issues with low CYA upon opening in the past, assumed it was soil bacteria but never tested. Could I be having this same issue again with overnight loss 0.5-1 and CC 0.5?

Current test results (TF100) -
FC 11.5
CC 0.5
PH 7.6
TA 150
CH 240
CYA 25-30

Could old filters be slowing the processes? I have 2 sets, use older ones during opening and then once water is clear replace with newer ones for the rest of the season.

No visible algae, but no improvement since Tuesday.

Thanks.

Attachments

• poolwater.jpg
    poolwater.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
First question everyone is going to ask .... why were you going to Leslies for any of the tests if you have a TF-100? Are those numbers under "Current Test Results" all your own TF-100 numbers? We want to make sure any advice is based on reliable testing and not the pool store.

First question everyone is going to ask .... why were you going to Leslies for any of the tests if you have a TF-100? Are those numbers under "Current Test Results" all your own TF-100 numbers? We want to make sure any advice is based on reliable testing and not the pool store.
I use Leslies to compare CYA reading. I don't know if I can trust their "5" when I see nothing with the tube. I will probalby start doing ammonia test from now on.
Yes all the numbers are current numbers with TF100 taylor. I corrected OP, sorry about the confusion
thanks.

Last edited:
Good thing is you have FC so we can rule out ammonia. Your pH is a little high for a SLAM Process since we like to start at about 7.2. You can adjust it now if you like and add about 10 ppm worth of stabilizer, then maintain the FC SLAM level of 12, I would test the CYA again in about 24-48 hrs just to see if it rose closer to 40 which would require a new FC level of 16. But other than that, you're on the right track.

CYA is measurable in increments of 10 ppm and that's all you need to be effective. Stay out of the pool store! You are confusing yourself (and us, too) with number's that are irrelevant.

Currently, what does your water look like? What are you trying to accomplish? Forget ammonia. We can help if you will tell us what your goal is.

CYA is measurable in increments of 10 ppm and that's all you need to be effective. Stay out of the pool store! You are confusing yourself (and us, too) with number's that are irrelevant.

Currently, what does your water look like? What are you trying to accomplish? Forget ammonia. We can help if you will tell us what your goal is.
I just uploaded picture. I have 4 steps, can barely see the last one. No visible algae, but I can smell chlorine

Good thing is you have FC so we can rule out ammonia. Your pH is a little high for a SLAM Process since we like to start at about 7.2. You can adjust it now if you like and add about 10 ppm worth of stabilizer, then maintain the FC SLAM level of 12, I would test the CYA again in about 24-48 hrs just to see if it rose closer to 40 which would require a new FC level of 16. But other than that, you're on the right track.
PH was 7.2 or lower when I opened. Because I only use liquid chlorine it goes up. But I've been trying to get it down from 7.6 twice, it's just stuck at 7.6.

I have 4 steps, can barely see the last one. No visible algae, but I can smell chlorine
Based on those updates, you should continue with the SLAM Process as noted above. I suspect the smell is the combined chlorines. The filter may just need more time to collect everything.

Would switching to newer filter cartridges speed things up?
Hard to say. I've been using my cartridge for several years. Easy to get 7-10 years or so with good care and chemistry. Other than the pleats separating or bands breaking, the paper lasts a very long time unless something was added to the water that may have gummed them up. Give the SLAM the weekend to see if there is any improvement. Be sure to pass the CC and Overnight Chlorine Loss Test first. If water clarity is lagging behind, you might need to try a good TSP washing or as you noted simply replace teh carts. Everything is getting so expensive, it would be nice to not have to replace them if possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hard to say. I've been using my cartridge for several years. Easy to get 7-10 years or so with good care and chemistry. Other than the pleats separating or bands breaking, the paper lasts a very long time unless something was added to the water that may have gummed them up. Give the SLAM the weekend to see if there is any improvement. Be sure to pass the CC and Overnight Chlorine Loss Test first. If water clarity is lagging behind, you might need to try a good TSP washing or as you noted simply replace teh carts. Everything is getting so expensive, it would be nice to not have to replace them if possible.
I have 2 sets of carts, newer ones are some generic brand (used for about 5-6 months) and 12+ yr old Hayward OEM ones. Hayward ones are still intact, I use them at the beginning of the season when I shock my pool

Since you also use carts I have a question - the new ones have to be forced into mainfold, while the Hayward OEM ones slide right in. The inner diameter on generic ones is about 1mm smaller than on Haywards. Seller offered money back or the discount, I took the discount. Can I use silicon (or P-80) when I install them so I don't have to force them in? Getting them out is also not as easy as it should be, so if I can use lubricant that can last 3-4 months it'd be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
s there any benefit (or harm) going beyond SLAM numbers during night hours or cloudy days?
It is generally not worth it. Algae removal simply takes time. Adding more chlorine above & beyond what is listed on the FC/CYA Levels is typically just wasteful since it allows a higher percentage amount of free chlorine to remain unprotected by stabilizer and get burned-off quicker. Progress is good! :goodjob: Hang in there.

Do you think better (newer) cartridges would speed up the process? I tend to use older ones during SLAMing only, and then newer ones for the rest of the season.

Thanks.

P.S I'm asking for the future. For this opening I'll replace cartridges once I'm done with slaming

Do you think better (newer) cartridges would speed up the process?
Unless the paper pleats are visibly damaged which might allow debris to get by, I don't think so. My carts of about 5 years old and I use them no matter what. But if you wish to replace them now with the new ones that's not a problem.

Reactions: nikon5400
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.