Cloudy Water

Bobby Buttercup

Jun 29, 2019
Canada
Hi! So, my pool water became really cloudy all of a sudden. I checked and cleaned the filter and did a test with that red and yellow liquid. My PH was non-existent as was my chlorine level. I had only been using stabilizing chlorine pucks in the skimmer and algaecide since I did a full shock treatment when I opened the pool about 6 weeks ago. Then, all of a sudden cloudy water and chlorine and PH were at 0! So, I started putting two pucks into my skimmer and about 6 kilograms of PH booster along with the recommended amount of Alka-booster. After a day, the chlorine and PH were perfect (I couldn't test the alkaline), BUT my water was still cloudy. I took a sample to my local pool store where they tested it and the results were: Chlorine perfect (which I knew), PH perfect (again I already knew that) and alkaline perfect (I was glad to know that).

When I asked why my water was still cloudy, the pool store guy said that there must be too much stabilizer and that I would have to empty out 75% of the water in my pool and refill with fresh water. I am refilling my pool as I write this. He also said that I should stop using the chlorine stabilizer pucks and just stick to granulated chlorine treatments. He even said to stop using algaecide. Is this legit? Thanks!

I’m sorry you have having such troubles. Lets take a step back here. You clearly have algae as your pool is cloudy and no chlorine. However, you also have some testing errors going on here. Your pH cannot be 0. I think it would dissolve your hand if that were the case. :) The most important question I will ask is what test kit are you using? In order to have the correct tools to clear your pool you need one of these. Test Kits Compared. I personally recommend the TF-100 with XL option and the Speedstir. You will thank me later for the Speedstir. You can see the link for this kit in my signature. If on mobile, turn your device sideways to see it.

Have you read this Overnight Chlorine Loss Test? And the process you need to follow is this SLAM Process. If you follow this process to the letter, asking questions along the way, your pool will be crystal clear. It may take from a few days to a week or more. Though since your pool is not a green swamp, it should take less than 2 weeks, maybe less than one if you have the time to dedicate up front. The more time you can put in early, the quicker the process gets started.

pool store testing is worth exactly what you paid for it
you need a quality fas-dpd test kit the tf100xl is the main one reccomended by TFP or the taylor k2006c
note the xl or c option as they have more test reagents than the smaller kits
chlorine perfect is not a number and ph fine is not a number
we rely on accurate numbers

I was using this. When I say 0, I mean that the water sample remained transparent. Aquarius Complete Test Kit for Chlorine and PH | Canadian Tire
The pool store guy had a more elaborate testing kit that was able to check for more than just chlorine and PH. The thing is, the last time I tested it, the chlorine and PH read as ok according to the kit I have but the water was still cloudy. Now that I have refilled the pool, it is clearer. Should I shock it again and add algaecide 40%?

So, 7.6 for PH and 1.5 for chlorine but the water was still cloudy

Last edited:
I have no change to my prior recommendations. Do you have questions about what I suggested?

I have no change to my prior recommendations. Do you have questions about what I suggested?
Like I said, the pool has been refilled and the water is looking much better. My question was more about the legitimacy of the pool guy saying that Algaecide and stabilizer pucks are not necessary if the pool is properly chlorinated. I'm not really interested in shelling out more money to conduct exhaustive tests at night over a period of days. But thanks anyways!

there are problems with poor test kits
if you have high fc it can bleach the ph test to read zero which as mentioned if it was really zero would disolve your hand
dont add algaecide it can cause more problems
what is this shock product you speak of?
what is your cya number as your fc must be 7.5 percent of this number
cya measured accurately, outside under natural sunlight with back to sun, not inside under led or fluro lights
you really need to help us to help you
in computers there is a phrase "garbage in garbage out"
pool testing is the same
that is why we push so hard for an accurate test kit
it seems expensive but will save you from spending so much at pool store
edit= you posted whilst i was typing
either follow tfp advice or pool store
your pool your choice
see you next year when you are in the same position and keep a track of how much you spend at pool store to have a cloudy pool

Like I said, the pool has been refilled and the water is looking much better. My question was more about the legitimacy of the pool guy saying that Algaecide and stabilizer pucks are not necessary if the pool is properly chlorinated. I'm not really interested in shelling out more money to conduct exhaustive tests at night over a period of days. But thanks anyways!
Here is a summary of our approach which may be helpful to understand my recommendations. What is TFPC? - Trouble Free Pool

see you next year when you are in the same position and keep a track of how much you spend at pool store to have a cloudy pool

This is the first year I have had this problem. My question was about the validity of the pool store employee's claim about stabilizer pucks and algaecide. I wasn't looking for a dressing down. Go 'ave yerself a Foster's and some shrimp on the bah-bee mate!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok to answer your questions
He also said that I should stop using the chlorine stabilizer pucks and just stick to granulated chlorine treatments. He even said to stop using algaecide. Is this legit? Thanks!
stabi;izer pucks- depends on your cya level
granulated treatments-depends whether triclor and cya level or cal/hypo and calcium level
algaecide- depends on brand and ingredients and why you are trying to use them
hope that clarifies it for you
too cold for a bbq right now, but a beer would go down well

Reactions: Bobby Buttercup
ok to answer your questions

stabi;izer pucks- depends on your cya level
granulated treatments-depends whether triclor and cya level or cal/hypo and calcium level
algaecide- depends on brand and ingredients and why you are trying to use them
hope that clarifies it for you
too cold for a bbq right now, but a beer would go down well
Ok, I'm buying the testing kit! Thanks!

I’m sorry you have having such troubles. Lets take a step back here. You clearly have algae as your pool is cloudy and no chlorine. However, you also have some testing errors going on here. Your pH cannot be 0. I think it would dissolve your hand if that were the case. :) The most important question I will ask is what test kit are you using? In order to have the correct tools to clear your pool you need one of these. Test Kits Compared. I personally recommend the TF-100 with XL option and the Speedstir. You will thank me later for the Speedstir. You can see the link for this kit in my signature. If on mobile, turn your device sideways to see it.

Have you read this Overnight Chlorine Loss Test? And the process you need to follow is this SLAM Process. If you follow this process to the letter, asking questions along the way, your pool will be crystal clear. It may take from a few days to a week or more. Though since your pool is not a green swamp, it should take less than 2 weeks, maybe less than one if you have the time to dedicate up front. The more time you can put in early, the quicker the process gets started.
I can't find this test kit on Amazon. Where can I buy it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.