Cloudy water - what to do?

Awsome, tomorrow i do all the test. Then on monday i will have the salt test kit,and the speed stir to help in the process.
I try to do the TA test but the water is not turnning Red. Im watching videos and reading.

Awsome, tomorrow i do all the test. Then on monday i will have the salt test kit,and the speed stir to help in the process.
I try to do the TA test but the water is not turnning Red. Im watching videos and reading.
One idea - take a sample from the tap that is your fill water to the pool. It should have minimal Chlorine (<1ppm) and zero CYA. This way you can focus on the CH and TA test. Not sure what part of Florida you are in and if hard water is an issue. Regardless, it just provides you another benchmark for when you add water to the pool.
On the TA test - it is important that you wipe the tip of the R-0009 bottle with a wet cloth to remove static electricity. Then hold the bottle vertical and let each drop form and fall into the tube. Swirl after each drop (until you get your speed stirrer). Remember that this is with a 25ml sample of water. You should see the color go from green to purple then to red. That becomes the end point.

Reactions: AlexisD
Help here plz,i can get readings on FC or CC. Or im doing something wrong i follow the instruccions on the card. When apply the R-0870 it turn pink but it change to red the i add the R -0871 counting but no changing color. I count over like 100 drops.
Same happenning with the TA test after the R-008 it turn green but i count like 60 drops of the R-0009 It turn to a ligther color but no total red.
Im stuck in here

Last edited:
Help here plz,i
What size water sample are you using? Be sure it is 10 ml. Add the water to the vial first to the 10 ml line then add the Stir bar to do the test. Add one heaping scoop of R0870. Each drop of R0871 to clear is 0.5ppm.

Im using the 25 ml,wow u fast thanks,loving this site,working on it.
I dont have the speed stir yet it comming sunday.
Im working on it but 30 drops and no change?

Last edited:
I think i got some results. The 1 i need is the CC but still reading and looking how to do it rigth.
FC=29.5
PH=7.8
TA=100
CH=290
CYA=35
Im still waiting for my salt test kit and the speed stir.
So far i only add 1/2 gallon of chlorine in the mornings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In your original post - the Leslie's test had FC at 15ppm but the Pinch A Penny test results only had 3ppm. Not sure if it was the same water sample. I am trying to understand how your FC could be 29.5 based on your pool store results and with you only adding a gallon or so of Chlorine. Regardless, as given to you earlier in the YouTube video - on the FC test - ensure you use a 10ml sample and after adding the R-870 powder the solution should be PINK. Since you do not have a speed stirrer yet, after each drop of R-0871 you need to swirl the tube to mix the solution. Add a drop, then swirl, add a drop, then swirl. Keep a constant process. The solution will turn to a very faint pink then on the next drop or so, it should be colorless (it may be cloudy) but it will be colorless (i.e. no pink). This is the end point. Total drops divided by 2 equals your FC in ppm. ie. 30 drops would be 15ppm.

Now for the CC test. Using the original sample from the FC test, when it is colorless, immediately add 5 drops of R-0003. This is to test your CC. If it remains colorless then your CC is Zero (0.0). If it turns pinkish, then again add R-0871 then swirl, add drop then swirl. It should turn back to Colorless. This is the end point. Again total drops divided by 2 equals your PPM for CC.
If you let the original sample sit after testing for FC or if you let your sample sit after testing for CC, the solution may turn a faint pink. Do not worry about this. This is why the test has to be done in a continuous process. Once you achieve colorless on your FC test or on the CC test - the test is DONE.

Does the drops have to be diviided or multiply a little bit confuse.
Sorry for confusion. You get the same result but I like whole numbers.
30 drops divided by 2 =15ppm or 30 drops multiplied by 0.5 = 15ppm
Remember your fractions 1/2 = 0.5 :)

Hi all finalli the water looks clear, i only been using 1/2 gallon of chlorine daily as suggested. I finally got all my test done with the help of you guys and gals.
4/17/2021
FC=26
CC=1
PH=7.6
TA=150
CH=250
CYA=35
Opinions,suggestions. Now what i still dont ge it is the 26 FC if is good or bad? I think was mess up my water was the clorox xtrablue tablets and the clorox shock. As long i only use chlorine or leslies tablets during summer. Next im planning go into the swg way.

Attachments

• 20210417_110434.jpg
    20210417_110434.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210417_110418.jpg
    20210417_110418.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That water does look clear! Well done!

I would lower your FC to match the upper end for FC in the recommended levels for your CYA in the link posted above.

Once you get a good handle on keeping the water clear and balanced we will work on getting your TA down a bit. That can wait for a bit.

Kim:kim:

I have just the link for you for keeping the pool clear and balanced!

Over time you will find what works best for YOUR pool. The above schedule is a base line to work from.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.