Cloudy water-Need suggestions

Ok, I get 120 ounces... divided by 16...YUP! 7.5 pounds. AFTER YOU SLAM:

I'd suggest you go slow and only add about 5 pounds at first. Let it dissolve and mix in. Test after its all groovy. You don't want to overshoot.

Pool math tells me to put 7 pounds and 8 onces of dry stabilizer to bump up cya from 20 to 80. Am I doing the math right? It will probably take 4 socks on 4 returns then I guess.
There's a very good reason why Marty is recommending "The Party Line" (or is that the Marty Line?) not to raise the CYA until you've killed all the contaminants in your pool. At 80ppm CYA, you'll need to maintain a level of 2.5 times more chlorine for the water to stay at a shock level, which is where the magic happens. Welcome to the forum and good luck SLAMMing!

The reason not to use tabs during this process is they're very slow to dissolve and release, and also continually release trichlor (CYA) into the pool. Also, it might be wise to sneak up on 80ppm CYA over time. I was in a situation before finding TFP where my CYA was sky-high because all I had were tabs and trichlor shock from the pool store. The only way to remove CYA from the pool is to empty / swap / refill water. It wasn't terribly difficult, but it took me doing 2 rounds of drain / refill to get it under control, then I had to readjust a bunch for my fill water alkalinity and hardness.

It's just like playing a slide guitar... "you can take as long as you want getting to the note, but you can't go past it..."

Learn more here:

Last edited:
There's a very good reason why Marty is recommending "The Party Line" (or is that the Marty Line?) not to raise the CYA until you've killed all the contaminants in your pool. At 80ppm CYA, you'll need to maintain a level of 2.5 times more chlorine for the water to stay at a shock level, which is where the magic happens. Welcome to the forum and good luck SLAMMing!

The reason not to use tabs during this process is they're very slow to dissolve and release, and also continually release trichlor (CYA) into the pool.

Learn more here:

I added about 1.5 pounds to a sock and it is now releasing stabilizer..will bring it up to 30 before going to the next step of bringing pH to 7.2..thanks everyone !!

Reactions: TexEdmond
First year, while I was teaching myself the TFP way, I let the pool company do their thing while I learned my chemistry set. They NEVER turned off swg when adding salt, nor bothered to brush it in.

Good news is nothing bad happened, and it didnt for you either, so yay! But it is best practice and I'm now religious about it.

Bottom line, we paid a lot of money for our pools and no one else is gonna care if anything goes bad sooner rather than later, not like we do!

I brought up cya to around 30. Had to add stabilizer 3 times. Used close to 2 lbs of stabilizer. Then added around half a gallon of muriatic acid to bring pH close to 7.2. Then added around 120 oz 10% chlorinating liquid. I will check FC in a couple of hours. For how long should I keep the FC at 12? When can I let the kids go into the water again?

Thanks PoolStored !! I just read in one of the articles that you should wait for a day after adding stabilizer to check cya. I did not do that and continued to the pH step in SLAM. Hope it will be ok. First test of FC after adding chlorine showed 11.5. Added some more chlorine and the second test after a few hours showed 13.5. Have stopped the swg after that reading. Will keep an eye and test tomorrow morning. I will be away on vacation starting Monday returning in a week. Any suggestions how I can keep the FC at 12 while I am out. Or will I have to start all over again?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a neighbor that you can show how to test and have them add Chlorine?

Worst case no testing and have them put a consistent amount in to maintain 5ppm.

Likely much less time. Do you have solar cover? How much direct sun does your pool get?

Took 48 hours for my pool to go from 20 to 9 FC, at the end of my slam.

Just a guess, my pool is 31K, you are about half. WORST CASE, hot days, no cover, I think with 60-70 oz. a day, my pool would be stable. Your pool is half. Say 35 oz. per day, plus a bit for comfort (no different than maintaining slam). Have a neighbor add 60 oz. per day. Even if you come back and it is 12-16, you are no worse for the wear and the algae will be gone.

If you can bring the water up to SLAM level, then cover the pool with a dark tarp, you have a chance of coming home and finding things as good as you can hope for.
Skippy and I have an autocover and salt water chlorine generator and we've gone to Europe for 17 days at a time and come home to a clear sparkling pool.

Maddie :flower:

I think the darkness is an important element when leaving the pool "as is" until you return home. Clear covers would seem to me to intensify chlorine loss and algae growth. I would use a dark tarp or cover instead of clear.
With a dark cover I would bring the water up to SLAM level and just keep the SWG on with the pump running its normal schedule. I don't raise my water to SLAM level as I don't have algae when I go on vacay but you're interrupting a SLAM, right? In that case the high chlorine level with a dark cover gives you the best chance.

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
So, left for vacation with tarp and SWG cranked up to almost 100%. Came back to a sparkling clean water. Thanks to all of you !! Here are my results from testing today:
pH 7.7
Fc 13
Cc .5
CH 75
TA 110
CYA 20 (Still can see the hazy dot with the tube full)
Do any of the numbers look off?
I know I have a lot of reading to do and find out my target numbers.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Nice work! :goodjob: The only thing I would do is add some stabilizer. Perhaps not to the 70 CYA level that we normally recommend each summer since you'll be closing soon and it may be getting cooler in your area, but at least to about 40-50. You'll want some of that CYA protection when you close.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.