Cloudy water coming out of returns

Crimson850

Jun 6, 2019
Virginia
I opened my pool late this year, and the algae was not bad. It's been clear for a couple of weeks now but there seems to be lots of "dust" collecting on the bottom. I try and vac with my brush head but it just stirs most of it up. And then it re-settles. I also notice after turning my pump off for a bit today when I restarted it the water coming out of the returns set a cloud of stuff into the pool. I backwashed and rinsed and that helped. It seems like maybe this dusty stuff is not getting captured by the sand. I thought about adding a cup of DE to the sand filter to see if this would help a bit. Is it possible my sand needs to be changed? It probably has 6 seasons on it. Is there anything better than regular sand to replace it with?

I don't think you need to change the sand. Can you add your equipment specs to your signature? When you are adding DE you make a slurry first. without knowing your set-up a cup could be too much.

Now, when vacuuming, as you start, do you have good suction, and then as you go, it decreases and things just get stirred up?
Are you backwashing until the sightglass goes clear? (takes a good minute or so depending on the size of the filter and how dirty it is.)

It could be its clogging and you just need to backwash more thoroughly? And during the vac process? For example if its a large pool you may need to backwashing once during and once after...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.