Cloudy water, balanced chemicals

May 22, 2017
Midland Michigan
Hello,

I would greatly appreciate some insight on why I'm not able to clear my pool, water is cloudy. I tested all of the chemical levels except for CYA since I ran out of the reagent, and I am tempted to go the pool store for a water reading but I know how that will end up, me buying a bunch of chemicals I probably don't need. We just installed a new pump, chlorinator was just fixed and then proceeded to add salt and test the water. Levels read as follows:

pH: 7.4
FC: 5.0
CC: 0.5
TA: 145
CH: 200
CYA: Was not able to test

TDS: TDS Meter reads 4200 / Chlorinator reads 3700

Please help since I don't understand why the water won't clear up!

Thank you

Without knowing the CYA level, you have nbo way of knowing if you've been maintaining adequate FC.

If the water is cloudy, you should perform a SLAM Process, but again, you need to know the CYA level so you know what FC level to target there.

If you have a Taylor or TF100 kit, just go to the pool store and buy a CYA reagent refill. Two problems solved at once: you can test your own CYA and you'll have bought something at the store to appease the salesman.

Hello,

I would greatly appreciate some insight on why I'm not able to clear my pool, water is cloudy. I tested all of the chemical levels except for CYA since I ran out of the reagent, and I am tempted to go the pool store for a water reading but I know how that will end up, me buying a bunch of chemicals I probably don't need. We just installed a new pump, chlorinator was just fixed and then proceeded to add salt and test the water. Levels read as follows:

Thank you
Will the pool pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test? My guess is no, and you should be SLAM Processing.

I would make the CYA reagent a priority.

I do have a Taylor kit I purchased from TFP, so that's a great idea thank you! I had ordered some reagent but it arrives on the 25th and I can't wait that long. I will buy and test today and get back with the CYA level.
Thanks again for your response!

- - - Updated - - -

As I mentioned to the previous response, I will test CYA today and report back. Thanks for your help!

Without knowing the CYA level, you have nbo way of knowing if you've been maintaining adequate FC.

If the water is cloudy, you should perform a SLAM Process, but again, you need to know the CYA level so you know what FC level to target there.

If you have a Taylor or TF100 kit, just go to the pool store and buy a CYA reagent refill. Two problems solved at once: you can test your own CYA and you'll have bought something at the store to appease the salesman.

I do have a Taylor kit I purchased from TFP, so that's a great idea thank you! I had ordered some reagent but it arrives on the 25th and I can't wait that long. I will buy and test today and get back with the CYA level.
Thanks again for your response!

*Update: I got some CYA reagent and tested it. The black dot at the bottom of the comparator tube never disappeared when filled to the top. I am assuming this means it has zero CYA, correct? If so, how much should I add and when (right now or tonight)?

- - - Updated - - -

Will the pool pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test? My guess is no, and you should be SLAM Processing.

I would make the CYA reagent a priority.

**Update: I got some CYA reagent and tested it. The black dot at the bottom of the comparator tube never disappeared when filled to the top. I am assuming this means it has zero CYA, correct? If so, how much should I add and when (right now or tonight)?

Need to know your CYA because it's imperative and you may need to SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain your pool.

Update: saw that you tested the CYA...how did you test this... remember to only "glance" at the vial when testing..do not stare into it because you'll eventually see the black dot. If you still see the black dot, just add enough stabilizer to your pool to bring your CYA up to a 30.

Hello,

Thank you

Need to know your CYA because it's imperative and you may need to SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain your pool.

Update: saw that you tested the CYA...how did you test this... remember to only "glance" at the vial when testing..do not stare into it because you'll eventually see the black dot. If you still see the black dot, just add enough stabilizer to your pool to bring your CYA up to a 30.

Hi! When I tested the CYA yesterday I actually stared into it (I did not know I should't stare directly into it) So when I tested today I just glanced at it and could still see the dot. So I will add enough stabilizer today to bring it up to 30. FC is at 4.5 today (yesterday was at 5) and CC is the same as yesterday 0.5.
Thanks for your help!

Good morning!

I have finally tested all my levels and they are as follow:

pH: 7.2
FC: 10 (Maybe because I added a gallon of liquid chlorine early this morning since there was a dead mole in the pump)
TA:120
CH: 180
CYA: 55

TDS: 4,800

Are these levels ok or do I need to adjust something?

Thanks again for all the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.