Cloudy water after vacuuming

Kayla, if I recall from Friday, your water was clear and you passed the OCLT back then. Now the concern is that your water turned cloudy over the weekend which is a precursor to algae. That changes things a bit. You mentioned doing a simultaneous water exchange recently, but your recent CYA appears to be higher than it was Friday. :scratch:

Ideally you want to get that CYA under control. Now that you have a good test kit, you can see that if the CYA is over 100 it's almost impossible to keep the FC balanced continuously, and doing a SLAM Process for algae would require a lot fo bleach. It's frustrating because you had the pool store steer you off course, but now you have reliable results. Lowering the CYA would be step #1. Try to get it down to at least 50 - 70 or so then start a SLAM or at least another OCLT to confirm.

Kayla, if I recall from Friday, your water was clear and you passed the OCLT back then. Now the concern is that your water turned cloudy over the weekend which is a precursor to algae. That changes things a bit. You mentioned doing a simultaneous water exchange recently, but your recent CYA appears to be higher than it was Friday. :scratch:

Ideally you want to get that CYA under control. Now that you have a good test kit, you can see that if the CYA is over 100 it's almost impossible to keep the FC balanced continuously, and doing a SLAM Process for algae would require a lot fo bleach. It's frustrating because you had the pool store steer you off course, but now you have reliable results. Lowering the CYA would be step #1. Try to get it down to at least 50 - 70 or so then start a SLAM or at least another OCLT to confirm.
Hi
Sorry for the confusion. I made a new post but the forum merged them. This is my neighbors pool. I’ve been trying to share with her the info I’ve learned. She has the same pool I do and unfortunately got the same bad advice I got. She passed the overnight test and her CC was 0.5 but still cloudy.
Mine was cloudy until I drained it and started over last week. So glad I did. So far I’ve only gassed cya and chlorine. Today my chlorine was 2.4 and cya 30. Ph was below the scale. I have ph increased (sodium bicarbonate) from the pool store.
mid this okay to use? I don’t see a good source to tell me how much to add.
thanks!

For your pool, be sure to keep the FC balanced to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. The pH generally just needs to be in the 7.2 - 7.8 range. With a low pH, there are various ways to increase it depending on what your TA is. It would help to know your TA, CH, and pool type info by updating your signature. Then we can tell you the best way to manage the pH.

Ok, thanks! I added more chlorine this morning per the pool math calculator. I did not test alk or ch but will do so when home from work.
ill update info.
For your pool, be sure to keep the FC balanced to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. The pH generally just needs to be in the 7.2 - 7.8 range. With a low pH, there are various ways to increase it depending on what your TA is. It would help to know your TA, CH, and pool type info by updating your signature. Then we can tell you the best way to manage the pH.
Ok updates values. This is city water added to my pool yesterday
Fc 3.2
Cc o.2
Ph 7.0
Alk 30
Cya about 20
CH 40
I’m just not sure where to start. I’ve only added chlorine and cya. Looks like I need to add more but then what after that.
I have ph increased and alkalinity increased from pool store. Can I use those? How do I figure out amount?

Also if I add borax as the pool calculator says to raise my ph it looks like it will raise my alkalinity too. But to get alkalinity where it’s supposed to be the calculator says to put 3 times as much borax to get alkalinity in line as the ph. So then won’t my ph be too high

Raise your TA with baking soda (the alkalinity increaser from the pool store should be that - sodium bicarbonate) to 70 ppm. Your pH will come up a little and be fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just chlorine. Not sure where you are with all the various threads you had going but if the pool is clear and passes OCLT, just keep FC in target range based on your CYA.

Just chlorine. Not sure where you are with all the various threads you had going but if the pool is clear and passes OCLT, just keep FC in target range based on your CYA.
Ok. Thanks. It’s new city water as of 3 days ago. I drained and restarted. Pool is crystal clear abs I’m checking levels daily. My question is more for understanding. Not sure why we check ph and ch if we don’t care?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.