Cloudy pool, algae covered floor, no chlorine...

Besides that it's much more expensive it's also very tricky to use. Doesn't stay mixed and if you need only a half gallon you never know what you actually put into the water. Granular CYA via sock method hanging in front of pool return is by far a better choice.
Oh ok, I got it! Will stick with the granules then. Thanks!! ☺️

Hey Doe, I want to encourage you to try muriatic again. I was soooooo hesitant, despite all I had read here. First time I tied I got a whiff of it and thought I was a goner! But since that 1st time, here is what I do:

I wear goggles and elbow high rubber gloves, put the bottle on the ground, (never concrete) Crack the seal while holding my breath, step back and let it vent, re-cover. Make sure I have my brush handy to mix it in because I don't pour slow, since I'm holding my breath while I do it.

Take the held breath, lower the bottle till all but the spout is floating and pour my guess of whatever pool math directs.( I don't like to handle it more than once and a guesstimate has always been good enough) Cap it, rinse the bottle a bit and then brush it in well. I have not had any problems that way.

At my home depot they keep muriatic acid in the pool chemical section, not right next to chlorine, but close enough you can see them both.

• Love
Reactions: DoePooled
The JJ method (not TFP approved) is:
  • Grab the jug of MA
  • Stand on the bench near the deep end or tanning ledge
  • Hold my breath
  • Open the bottle downwind
  • Pour the estimated amount of MA into the deep end, in front of a return
  • Close the bottle
  • Breathe again

I've used the liquid CYA at times (mostly out of laziness) and because I know the entire gallon will add ~30 ppm to my pool. If you don't need the entire gallon it would be difficult to use. The majority of the stuff is sludge at the bottom of the jug and you have to repeatedly rinse it out with water and dump in the pool.
PoolMath tells me that a gallon would add ~19ppm to your pool.

Maddie :flower:

• Love
I noticed some respirator masks the other day at, I think it was Lowe's, so I may just try one of those out.

It is NOT advisable to use any kind of respirator or mask when handling muriatic acid. Simple safety glasses and if you desire rubber gloves.

Check your Home Depot for their private label (HDX) muriatic acid that is sold in a box of 2 one gallon jugs. In my experience it's usually on a pallet somewhere outside and not in the paint department. This is absolutely fine for pools (even says it's for pH control right on the box). Not sure which store you go to, but according to the Home Depot website the Tyler and Longview stores both have over a 100 of these in stock.

Lowes sells the same under their label: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kem-Tek-2-Gallon-Muriatic-Acid/4570022

Check your Home Depot for their private label (HDX) muriatic acid that is sold in a box of 2 one gallon jugs. In my experience it's usually on a pallet somewhere outside and not in the paint department. This is absolutely fine for pools (even says it's for pH control right on the box). Not sure which store you go to, but according to the Home Depot website the Tyler and Longview stores both have over a 100 of these in stock.

Lowes sells the same under their label: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kem-Tek-2-Gallon-Muriatic-Acid/4570022
Thank you! Lowe's is a lot closer to us. We're west of Mineola. I may check for paint stores in Mineola. I appreciate the heads up! 😊

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've used the liquid CYA at times (mostly out of laziness) and because I know the entire gallon will add ~30 ppm to my pool. If you don't need the entire gallon it would be difficult to use. The majority of the stuff is sludge at the bottom of the jug and you have to repeatedly rinse it out with water and dump in the pool.
PoolMath tells me that a gallon would add ~19ppm to your pool.

Maddie :flower:
Well that's about the amount I need so...but if that's true, then they told me another pool store fib...they said it goes further!! Back to the store to get my money back!!

Great job there. Do yourself a favor and turn the gauge back CCW 90° so the face is vertical. I don't like when it's flat then water has a chance to sit on it and find a way in.
It's already sealed with the JB Weld. What would happen if water got in it, and how would that even happen, unless the gauge is defective? Well probably have the whole unit replaced before there is even a chance of that happening anyhow. ☺️

Reactions: markayash
so...but if that's true, then they told me another pool store fib...they said it goes further
It did go further. It went home, then back to the store, then to someone else's home. 😁 Oh. Right. But just like any of their advice, it didn't help you in the way you had hoped.

• Haha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.