Cloudy green pool STILL

CV701

Jun 15, 2019
Wisconsin
Hello and thanks in advance!

So we have a 24x52 summer waves pool that we bought last year. This was our first season opening and we did not properly close it last year. A mistake I will not make again. Anyway, after opening, the pool was extremely dark and could we not see anything. We leaf raked and got all large debris out, dumped shock in (blindly-before I found TFP) and then turned original cartridge pump on.
As you can imagine, the water did not change much. I then found this website which has been amazing. I purchased the Taylor k2006 test kit and went from there in preparation to SLAM.
First day readings were
pH 7.1
TA 120
CH 60
FC 12.5
CC 1.5
CYA 20
We then added stabilizer per the pool calculator. From what I understand, we don't really need to raise the calcium hardness.
Second day readings we only tested FC (which went down to 8) CC(which went down to 1-yay!) and CYA (40).
Per the SLAM/CYA chart we added chlorine and raised the FC to 16 and CC is still 1.
The problem is the water is still cloudy green. I can only see about 18 inches down. I'm rinsing the filter multiple times daily and run it 24/7.
There does seem to be a lot of very small particles in the water. I know flocculant is a no no but will clarifier help? Will it even be effective while SLAMing?
What do I do??

Attachments

• 15610662142641059334100083337860.jpg
    15610662142641059334100083337860.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to the forum!
Stay working the SLAM Process
It will take several days to get to cloudy blue. The several more days to a couple weeks to clear.
Can you fill out your signature with more detail. Volume, equipment, etc?

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

So update. It is day 9 of SLAM and my pool is still green.
I'm ready to throw in the towel.
From day 1 before SLAM
pH 7.1
TA 120
CH 60
FC 12.5
CC 1.5
CYA 20
Brought CYA up to 60. My SLAM level for FC is 24 and have been keeping up with that testing the water at least twice a day, more if I am home. Being so desperate, I even put more chlorine than necessary just hoping it will kill the algae. I don't know how the water is still green.
Please help me.

Well if you have been holding SLAM level FC for 9 days, your pool should not be green still.

Have you been running the pump 24/7? Cleaning the filter when the pressure rises by 25%? Brushing at least daily?

I agree. Cloudy I could understand, not green.

How many total gallons of chlorine do you estimate you have added to the pool. Can you post what the FC is everytime you test it and how much chlorine you add to maintain your SLAM level?

On days that I work, I test it at least twice. Otherwise I test it about 4 times a day. One morning I tested it was 18, that was the lowest it has gotten. The last few times it has only dropped to 21. I always add more chlorine than what pool math says so it doesn't drop too much while sleeping or at work.
I run the pump 24/7. It hasn't been off in 9 days other than cleaning the filter which I do daily. I also brush once a day. I do not vacuum because I cannot see the bottom. I have leaf raked and there is nothing left coming up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If water cost is not extreme, I would suggest a significant water exchange to fresh. Something beyond regular algae is going on.

I have well water. We filled the pool last year, half off the well and half with a water truck but that was pricey. I could possibly drain half the pool. How would you suggest directing the water flow while draining?

Your post about no flow from the pump is concerning. And looking at your equipment, the filter system is not adequately sized for the pool. Did that pump/filter come with this pool?

No the filter did not come with. It said it was rated for over 15k gallons and my pool is about 13k. It is much faster and stronger than the original pump but the cartridge seems to clog quickly. I clean it at least once daily. Yesterday I did twice.

The filter is your issue. If the pool never got algae, it will work fine. But not with the swamp you have.

You need a larger filter/sand filter or you need to drain most of the water (leave at least a foot of water in the pool) and fill with fresh and SLAM that. Then you might have a chance.

Only way I see you will have success.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.