Cloudy blue

cmdr-s

Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Columbus, IN
Over past month, pool has gone from emerald green, to lime green, to mostly clear (after adding Super Floc), to cloudy blue. Have used about 54 lbs of calhypo, and at least 50 gal of 10% liquid. What settles to the bottom is a very fine white silt. Is that algae that has been bleached white? I vacuum to waste, and there is less each day.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Yes. That is algae.

How are you testing your water?

You need to follow the process SLAM Process. You raise your FC based on your CYA using [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

You need a proper test kit for that process. We suggest the TF100 from TFTestkits.net or a Taylor K2006C.

Let us know a full set of test results when you get your kit.

Take care.

So here are today's results. PH-7.5, FC-7.4, CC-0, Alk-150, CYA-30.
Been trying to keep the FC above 10 for a week. CC has never been measurable, even when FC is 0-1. No chlorine or ammonia smell. No change in appearance of water. Now that sun is up, that FC will drop like a rock. Just keep adding gallons of chlorine? Anybody sell this stuff by the pallet?

Read SLAM Process. You do add chlorine to maintain your FC at SLAM level. You have a big pool.

Once you pass the three criteria for a successful sLAM, raise your CYA to 50 ppm. It will reduce your chlorine loss during the day.

I have read SLAM many times. My takeaway: as there is no CC, there is not an algae problem. the only thing depleating the FC is sunlight. Thinking my filter was dirty, I changed the 2 yr old sand 2 days ago. No improvement in filtering. I suspect that whatever is suspended in the water is just being passed through the filter. Guess I'll try some DE. An other ideas?

You very well could have algae.

This is my pool right after opening with algae all over the place and then 6 days later after SLAMMING.
My Pool Looks Much Happier

Through most of it I had no CC. I don’t know why. Maybe someone else does. But after 11 summers of TFP I’ve come to just accept that cloudy and/or green means algae for my pool.

Finally, success! After over a hundred gallons of LC, the water is clear and it passes the tests for stopping SLAM. To be honest, I had my doubts, but perseverance paid off. The other major factor was that I retired as an airline pilot. For over 20 yrs, I would go to work with a clean pool, but come home days later to a cloudy, or worse, mess. Work a few days trying to get things back to normal, then repeat the process, all summer. Kids went directly from, too young to handle chemicals, to "can I have the car keys?" Oh well. View out the family room window is nice. Now need to figure out a maintenance routine. Will come back to this forum often. Keep up the good work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.