Cloudy again..

Between the sun and lots of swimmers, the FC plummets.
Swimmers shouldn’t matter all that much. If you have a blowout party, yes. But 4 people for a while won’t blow through 9 ppm FC. 1 or 2 maybe.

The sun shouldn’t be burning off any excessive FC either. You are pretty much in the middle of the country, demand wise. Not too hot and not too cold. (Although all of us are respectively hot this week).

I think the next step would be to go +10 CYA and see how it holds.

Reactions: 3kidsAndAPool
I wouldn't raise the CYA until you pass an OCLT. If it is the cover, we can cross that bridge later. We'll figure it out. For now, try to get a good late evening and early morning FC reading. Careful on the drops and counting. Consistency is key. We'll be watching.

I wouldn't raise the CYA until you pass an OCLT. If it is the cover, we can cross that bridge later. We'll figure it out. For now, try to get a good late evening and early morning FC reading. Careful on the drops and counting. Consistency is key. We'll be watching.
I will do my best and report back in the morning! Thanks everyone!!

@Snoobug Had a similar struggle recently. Snoo got any thoughts ?
I don't think I covered my pool during the slam. Not sure if because the autocover wasn't installed yet or because I was trying to let all the LC get air.

My pool still seems to consume a bit more chlorine than I'd expect. I don't know why, it's crystal clear and there is no algae deposits anywhere. I scrub around the two main drains everyday because those just seem like they have too many nooks and crannies.

Worried about it being behind the lights. I don't like working with electrical stuff. It scares me but I'm not sure what to do. My pool is stupid clear and beautiful though thanks to TFP!

Let me know if you figure anything out.

Reactions: Newdude
The "big guns" are already here helping, but I'm wondering how confident you are in your CYA reading? It won't have anything to do with the overnight loss but would definitely contribute towards "fragile" daytime levels.

I will do my best and report back in the morning! Thanks everyone!!
So, here’s the verdict. Last night I tested around 10:30, 3 different times and got 3 very different results. 22.5 ppm, 21 ppm then 20.5. I’m more inclined to believe that it would have been 20-20.5 ppm. I feel as if I did the test the same each time and no differently than I have all summer so I don’t know why the results are off by so much 😕 I ordered the magnetic stirrer last night.. This morning I got 18.5 ppm then 19 ppm. It sounds like maybe it’s my testing? I am working with new powder and solution, but I order from TFP and can’t imagine it would be that? Although the powder was pretty crystallized this time and I kinda mashed it up a little. Would that matter? I have never had this much trouble with a SLAM. I usually pass my OCLT after the 2nd day. I brought it back up to 20 ppm but won’t be able to monitor it as closely today since we are having company. Water is still crystal clear!

Pretty sure the speed stir will save the day here. Or at least be consistent with how the pool is consuming. (y)

Either way you will absolutely LOVE the speed stir. I never once did it myself and I can’t imagine swirling 40+ drops. Sure I could, but why ?? I could walk 3 miles to work everyday too, but I ain’t gonna. You will appreciate it even more.

So, here’s the verdict. Last night I tested around 10:30, 3 different times and got 3 very different results. 22.5 ppm, 21 ppm then 20.5. I’m more inclined to believe that it would have been 20-20.5 ppm. I feel as if I did the test the same each time and no differently than I have all summer so I don’t know why the results are off by so much 😕 I ordered the magnetic stirrer last night.. This morning I got 18.5 ppm then 19 ppm. It sounds like maybe it’s my testing? I am working with new powder and solution, but I order from TFP and can’t imagine it would be that? Although the powder was pretty crystallized this time and I kinda mashed it up a little. Would that matter? I have never had this much trouble with a SLAM. I usually pass my OCLT after the 2nd day. I brought it back up to 20 ppm but won’t be able to monitor it as closely today since we are having company. Water is still crystal clear!
With the pool being clear, you are good to swim with FC up to SLAM Levels. Just enjoy the clear water you have today, go swim!

+1.
Even *if* something is there still, 20 FC will more than keep it at bay. You’ve earned a mental break (many times over). Shift to pool enjoyment for the day. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, time to take a break and swim. :swim: I think the speedstir will help you out. :stirpot:
Well, today ended up being mostly cloudy and breezy so we found other things to do besides swim, but the mental break was nice!! I just checked the FC and I was down to 10 ppm. I brought it back up, changed out skimmer socks, skimmed and brushed. I’m having to add some water at this point so I will check again once the water is back up and add LC accordingly. I’m also running low on powder again, so I’m hoping that comes in soon!!

Reactions: Texas Splash
@3kidsAndAPool I just knoticed you have a UV on your pool. Is it running? Do you keep it on all the time?

UV filters are not necessary for an outdoor pool. It may sanitize, but it also will consume FC. I took mine out. This may be the source for your OCLT. I would suggest you unplug it and bypass it. Then recheck. I wouldn't be surprised your pool is fine, it is your UV system!!!

@3kidsAndAPool I just knoticed you have a UV on your pool. Is it running? Do you keep it on all the time?

UV filters are not necessary for an outdoor pool. It may sanitize, but it also will consume FC. I took mine out. This may be the source for your OCLT. I would suggest you unplug it and bypass it. Then recheck. I wouldn't be surprised your pool is fine, it is your UV system!!!
I do have a UV/ozone system. I unplugged the ozone box about a month ago and turned my pump down low enough that the UV light doesn’t come on anymore thinking that would help since I don’t know how to unhook all of it. Did I help by doing that or could that still be causing a problem?

I do have a UV/ozone system. I unplugged the ozone box about a month ago and turned my pump down low enough that the UV light doesn’t come on anymore thinking that would help since I don’t know how to unhook all of it. Did I help by doing that or could that still be causing a problem?
Nice on killing the ozone box. Yes, having the UV come on should help your FC loss (less FC loss if it is off). It has sanitizing properties, but really only has benefits for an indoor pool. They are not necessary for an outdoor pool and will only consume FC, not really help with sanitizing.

Turning the pump down low does no damage. There are lots off threads and pool school article on pump run time and speed. You should be good there.

Can you unplug the UV? If so, just to ensure it doesn't go on, unplug it. If it was installed correctly, there should be a couple of bypass valves. You can stop the pump and open the bypass valves and no water will flow through the UV. Can you post a picture of your setup? Can you provide a make and model # on the UV?

Still trying to think through all the possibilities to help...

Last night my final test was at 20.5 ppm and this morning was 16.5 ppm. I was so mad and frustrated that I added LC and just went back to bed 😕This is day 6..water is still crystal clear. I used up the last 2 scoops of powder this morning as well, so I’m going to keep adding a gallon of LC every couple of hours until I can get more. I’m going to check the local pool store tomorrow because my order won’t be in for a couple of days. There’s a chance of rain every day this week, do you guys think it’s safe to cover the pool if it does? At this point I don’t know if the rain will make it worse or not. Thanks!

Last night my final test was at 20.5 ppm and this morning was 16.5 ppm. I was so mad and frustrated that I added LC and just went back to bed 😕This is day 6..water is still crystal clear. I used up the last 2 scoops of powder this morning as well, so I’m going to keep adding a gallon of LC every couple of hours until I can get more. I’m going to check the local pool store tomorrow because my order won’t be in for a couple of days. There’s a chance of rain every day this week, do you guys think it’s safe to cover the pool if it does? At this point I don’t know if the rain will make it worse or not. Thanks!
I’m also going to try to tackle the weir doors today if I can figure them out. I’ve been searching the internet but can’t seem to figure out which one it is. I’m going to post pics to see if you guys can help or have the same thing!636B31B6-94AD-4A24-99E9-7241ADDDEE7A.jpeg92DB8086-F119-4DEE-A8CC-90A084BAF92C.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.