Cloudiness - fiberglass

PeteMarch

Jun 9, 2023
New jersey
I have similar issue and cannot tell if it is fiberglass oxidation or a CH scaling issue. Here is photo of my hand with the chalk like substance on it. Very fine, and causes cloudiness in the water. My CH is only at 150, so I will attempt to raise it >300. I do not experience this chalk issue above the water line. My pool is ~15 years old.

I just wanted to share photo of what this looks like...it is not a hard substance. It removes easily with brushing and makes water cloudy. I can try to collect it to pour muriatic acid on it (which will bubble in presence of calcium carbonate). I've reviewed many threads addressing this issue, but decided to post on this one. My fear is that this is not scaling, and I need to recoat my pool surface.

If anyone has similar experience with the texture / feel / look of this from the picture, and is able to rule out scale or oxidation let me know.

IMG_3221.jpg

I have similar issue and cannot tell if it is fiberglass oxidation or a CH scaling issue. Here is photo of my hand with the chalk like substance on it. Very fine, and causes cloudiness in the water. My CH is only at 150, so I will attempt to raise it >300. I do not experience this chalk issue above the water line. My pool is ~15 years old.

I just wanted to share photo of what this looks like...it is not a hard substance. It removes easily with brushing and makes water cloudy. I can try to collect it to pour muriatic acid on it (which will bubble in presence of calcium carbonate). I've reviewed many threads addressing this issue, but decided to post on this one. My fear is that this is not scaling, and I need to recoat my pool surface.

If anyone has similar experience with the texture / feel / look of this from the picture, and is able to rule out scale or oxidation let me know.

View attachment 526115
Looks like oxidation. Calcium doesn't usually come off that easily.

Reactions: proavia
Unlike the embedded chalkiness that does not wipe off in my shell, I seem to recall other members (old threads) who had the same as you - it wiped off easily with their hands. Some of them saw improvement by increasing their TA a bit, but I don't recall them increasing the CH. :scratch: Of course we "shouldn't " have to increase the CH, but that is odd. Two questions
1 - How old is your pool?
2 - Can you share some water test results?

Pool is ~10-15 years old. I am second owner and this is my 1st year so I am not exactly sure on age. I have not been the best with my water chemistry or keeping things really stable. So I will try to raise TA, CH, and get the CSI score in check.

At this point I probably need to buy a Taylor test kit and start getting serious, the standard test strips just aren't cutting it for me.

I will also try to brush it all off, and see how long it takes to come back.

Salt water Pool with chlorine generator
Salinity>3000 ppm
pH usually on higher side, most recently 7.8.
TA - usually a bit low
CYA - usually low
CH - 150 ppm

Thanks -Pete

Reactions: Texas Splash
Test Kits Compared

The TF-100 Salt or TF-Pro Salt are the better values overall and use Taylor brand reagents.
The Pro version come with the powered stirrer and a nicer case.

The Taylor K-2006C needs to be the "C" version, add the K-1766salt test and SpeedStir.

Reactions: .ben
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.