closing our SW pool - some questions

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
I honestly didn't know that "closing" your pool was a thing until I read some threads. For the past 2 years, it was business as usual with the pool, just turned the SWG down and we bought a cover. This is the third winter for us.

I just checked the chems and our TA is a touch high so we added more acid.
FC 6
CH 425
TA 110
pH 7.8-ish
CYA 50

Our plan is to vacuum it thoroughly. The SWG is down to 20%. What is the whole closing down process thing? When I did a search, I didn't find anything current or relevant to an IG SW...Please advise what should be done, I guess. Because I obviously don't have a clue!

You would not 'close' a pool in Houston. That is for cold weather climates.

You should maintain your chemistry and test often to ensure that. You will need to run you pump at least a couple hours per day and more if your SWCG will generate. Most SWCG's will stop producing chlorine around a water temperature of 60F. You would then use bleach to maintain your FC.

Take care.

You do not state what size your SWCG is but most likely there is no reason to run your pump that much. Only need to run it enough to generate the chlorine you need and keep the pool clean.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.