closeing question about sand filter

rajung

Mar 17, 2015
Cedar Falls, Iowa
I have for the past 3 years removed sand and stored filter in garage,can the sand filter be kept outside with the with the port valve removed and tank drained out without worrying about expansion and cracking tank if I also put a bag over opening?It does take forever for it to drain out the lower plug.I'm sure the sand will never dry before it freezes.Not a big deal, just getting tired of scooping sand out with a mini cup since that's all the room there is with the stand pipe in middle of tank, and then lugging 120lbs of sand in buckets.

Just remove the drain plug at the bottom, the site glass, and the pressure gauge. Leave the rest. Put the multiport on "Winter" or if it doesn't have a winter setting put the multiport between any two settings and that's it.

I found this in another thread but I'd have to say I've never seen the guy who close the pool do this step. - > Just removing the drain plug will not sufficiently evacuate 90% of the water still in the sand filter. To remove the remainder is to use a high volume shopvac to blow the filter out through your backwash line. You place your dial to Rinse then place your vac hose on the line from the pump(leave you gauge and sight glass in while doing this). When blowing the air forces the water up and out. This procedure takes usually an extra 5-10 minutes but it will save your tank from freezing expanding then cracking.

This is what I do. I use an air compressor hooked up to the drain screw on the pump. I backwash the sand filter real good, flip the multiport to filter, remove the drain plug and flip on the compressor. It will push the water out of the filter. I then flip the multiport to recirculate and blow the lines. Some will say, your pushing dirt back in the pool. Nope! No dirt for me. Works like a charm. Then leave the drain screw off and losen the top screw so any extra water can trickle out.

Just removing the drain plug will not sufficiently evacuate 90% of the water still in the sand filter. To remove the remainder is to use a high volume shopvac to blow the filter out through your backwash line. You place your dial to Rinse then place your vac hose on the line from the pump(leave you gauge and sight glass in while doing this). When blowing the air forces the water up and out. This procedure takes usually an extra 5-10 minutes but it will save your tank from freezing expanding then cracking.

Kiss4aFrog:

You mention will not remove 90% of the water? How much water do you feel is removed just by the drain plug? And also, is there water left in the filter? I will try this on Rinse and blow through the return line and see if any water is left over. Sounds to me that I may have missed something over the last few years. Thank you.

Update:

I blew air from the pump, through the filter on "Rinse" with sight glass and gauge on (No cap at bottom). A little bit of water came out from backwash port. Now, I shut off shop vac (Not Cyclone as I feel this will be too powerful) and changed MPV to "filter". When I turn on the shop vac blower, water comes out of the drain, but only on "filter". Shut off the vac, and water stops coming out. There is not a lot of water, but some. I will only do this for another minute at most and then put everything away. The Hayward manual states the following:

Interesting to note: Hayward Manual for the S244T 24" 300# sand filter, states only this in their instructions for winterizing:

WINTERIZING

1. Completely drain tank by unscrewing drain cap at base of filter tank. Leave cap off during winter.

2. Depress Vari-Flo control valve handle and rotate so as to set pointer on valve top between any two positions. This will allow water to drain from the valve. Leave valve in this "inactive" position.

Kiss4aFrog:

You mention will not remove 90% of the water? How much water do you feel is removed just by the drain plug?

You may have missed where I said this: I found this in another thread but I'd have to say I've never seen the guy who close the pool do this step
I was just trying to be through. When the service has closed this pool I've never seen them do anything but open the filters bottom drain and leave it off for the winter. I'm sure there is still moisture in there but it gets down in -20 range around here and this filter has lived through all the winters since the 70's outside without cracking.

No worries. I've missed more than my share of info trying to punch out a quick reply. :shock:

I think the guy was trying to say draining will get 90% out. Makes more sense there might be around 10% in moisture left behind but I haven't had a problem with it.

Strange part is that there is more water in the filter, and each time I turned on shop vac, more water came out. I close according to Hayward's manual and never had a problem.

Now, I will perform my second experiment with a 5 gallon bucket of water filled with sand (75% and 1 gallon water). Left outside with lid to see what happens. Last year, I took a 4' 3" schedule 40 tube filled up with 99% water and capped off (left outside all winter with wind and cold) and in the spring, no water was lost or pipe damaged, etc. I know your state is a lot colder than NJ, but always curious to know under what conditions damage would occur. Take Care!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.