Clorox salt and Iron

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
I tried a couple bags a couple months back since Walmart will deliver it with Walmart plus and had no issues.
So thought great lets get more since we had a ton of rain and mine is low again but this time I got stains :(

I have the inyo which looks a lot like the hayward so keep it close to 3000 to be safe.

I put it in my spa so its mixed and poured out the water fall and this morning I see stains, nothing major but enough to tell me it has some iron in it.

Reactions: Newdude
Thanks for being the test mule and confirming that Clorox salt still has impurities and should not be recommended.

Reactions: markayash
I have seen worse stains form salt but still concerning. Our Walmart has Morton in the spring so will have to get a few bags to keep around. Those shopping carts don't push very well with 120 pds of salt in them :)

When I get salt from Walmart I order it online for instore pickup and they have it ready in the pickup area. Someone will help wheel it out the door to load it into my car. I have needed 10-15 bags at times.

I had issues with Clorox and SureSoft causing staining. From then on I pre-dissolve the salt in a big plastic storage container so I can inspect it and make sure it is mixed in fairly well before I put it in my pool.

I did notice a tan scum like substance on the top of my plastic tub about an hour after I put in the salt and started it dissolving. I skimmed off the top before and discarded before dumping the salt/water slurry into my pool. I'm guessing that was just dirt and not iron, but it made me feel better not putting that into my pool.

I had issues with Clorox and SureSoft causing staining. From then on I pre-dissolve the salt in a big plastic storage container so I can inspect it and make sure it is mixed in fairly well before I put it in my pool.

I did notice a tan scum like substance on the top of my plastic tub about an hour after I put in the salt and started it dissolving. I skimmed off the top before and discarded before dumping the salt/water slurry into my pool. I'm guessing that was just dirt and not iron, but it made me feel better not putting that into my pool.
Interesting it skims off

I'm guessing that was just dirt and not iron
Every bag I ever used caused dirty foam like the beach on a rough day. Not as much of course, just a thin layer of dirty bubbles that went away in a few minutes.

Rando pic I have showing some of it. It was worse immediately upon adding.

Screenshot_20230908_164008_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: JJ_Tex
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.