Clorox Pool Salt

Apr 23, 2008
StL, MO
I’ve always used Morton’s, but bought 8 bags of Clorox last weekend. Dumped it Saturday evening, found yellow stains the next day. I immediately suspected trace iron in the salt, and a quick search here confirmed same.

I actually called the company that manufactures the salt that is branded as Clorox (Scotwood Industries) and to my pleasant surprise they owned the problem and advised me to submit receipts for the ascorbic acid and any additional items I would have to purchase to remedy the issue, and they’d cover my costs).

I wanted to share my solution. I ordered a pound of crystallized ascorbic acid from the source listed in the sticky, added 4
tablespoons to an old plastic water bottle that came from my local bike store, filled 2/3 with pool water and shook until dissolved. I then dove into the freshly vacuumed pool (pH 7.2, FC at 4.5, CYA 70) and squeezed the solution sparingly over the stains. They dissolved immediately with virtually no use of my sponge. Left pump run on filter overnight.

The next day the stains hadn’t returned, pH hadn’t budged, and FC only
dropped to 3.5. Three days later and the stains are still gone. I figure the amount of iron released was so nominal that no sequestrant was necessary - if the ions precipitate out they’d be so dilute after several turnovers that it wouldn’t be noticeable to the eye. I’ll advise if they do return but wanted to share my fix.

I wanted to avoid the usual protocol for removing iron stains. I wouldn’t recommend this for more significant stains but it did the trick for my episode of Clorox Pool Salt.

Good job :goodjob: on all counts!
Good for you for calling the company and complaining. Great job getting compensation (unheard of thus far) and amazing job fixing your problem so quickly.

We shall continue warning folks against the Clorox salt (and bleach, and Xtrablue products) as they are *not* pool friendly.

Don't forget you can use Solar Salt meant for salt water conditioners in your pool. Usually cheaper too.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Ignoramus
I hope you bill them $1,000/hr for your time to remedy their low quality product. Let us know what you actually collect.

Oh, and post your contact for reimbursement. If enough customers get on them they will improve their product.

Reactions: Ignoramus
Same issue with me and my FG pool. Clean and clear, one bag of Clorox salt and BOOM, a dozen or so "rust" stains. I used Morton's Solar Salt almost exclusively but needed a fast dissolve and "splurged" for the Clorox pool salt.

Can you pass us all the contact info you used? I'd like to do the same treatment you did with them picking up the cost.

Reactions: LloydinOK
Same issue with me and my FG pool. Clean and clear, one bag of Clorox salt and BOOM, a dozen or so "rust" stains. I used Morton's Solar Salt almost exclusively but needed a fast dissolve and "splurged" for the Clorox pool salt.

Can you pass us all the contact info you used? I'd like to do the same treatment you did with them picking up the cost.
Why did you need a fast dissolve? My kids wish the solar salt would not dissolve so fast so they could play with it more.

Reactions: avspin
Hello
All,

New to the forum.

Ordered a Circupool RJ45; waiting for it to arrive. I thought I'd get a head start on adding the salt. Everyone says
Always used Morton's
but when I went to Lowes the two type of Morton's (pellets & granular) both stated 'for water softener use ONLY.' They had another brand made for pools but it was $2.50 more per bag and had what they describe as a 'stain fighter.' I've also read that you want 99.9% pure so 'I don't need no stinkin' stain fighters!':laughblue: None of the products listed their ingredients (other than the fact that the bag contained salt) and none said anything about purity.

Any help would be appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Same with wedding parties- tell a caterer a party is for a "wedding" and the same meal is now 30% higher! Pools are like that. Pool stores sell baking soda as "Alkalinity Increaser" for a lot more than Walmart sells baking soda in large bags in the baking section. Same exact ingredient, different packaging.

GO ahead and use the solar salt for water softeners. Some are larger pellets but still just salt.
This one looks good to me--> https://www.lowes.com/pd/SureSoft-40-lb-Salt-Solar-Crystals/50354194

Reactions: KandTFromPhx
now I know what the stains in my pool are from. We always used mortons and 3 years ago used clorox and never realized that the stains were probably from that.... sadly they look awful and are still there. We also had issue with the power of the clorox salt, we needed a lot more clorox salt to get the levels correct. I do like their DE though..

I wanted the fast dissolve because I wanted to run my robot next - and I did not want to suck in gobs of solar salt. maybe a little too cautious on my end - and now I am paying for it.

Why did you need a fast dissolve? My kids wish the solar salt would not dissolve so fast so they could play with it more.

I went to Lowes the two type of Morton's (pellets & granular) both stated 'for water softener use ONLY.' They had another brand made for pools but it was $2.50 more per bag and had what they describe as a 'stain fighter.'

Same thing with Home Cheapo, they have water softener salt, and they have "pool" salt for $3 a bag more.

Ultimately, salt is salt, as long as it's Sodium Chloride. You can look at the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for any of these products and see what is in them, as long as it's not a proprietary trade secret. (and salt isn't a trade secret, lol).

Morton has two varieties of water softener salt that I saw, the blue label and the yellow label. When you look at the MSDS, it shows the blue label product is 100% Sodium Chloride. The yellow label product includes Sodium Hexametaphospate, too. So I chose the 100% NaCl variety and it's working fine.

Morton Blue Label.jpgMorton Yellow Label.jpg

Why I like this site, I would have bought Clorox salt today :) instead bought mortons
yup this site saved me from buying Clorox salt. I went to Lowes the other week and they had tons of Clorox bags. I told my wife we need to get pool salt and she pointed to the Clorox bags, I was like no the TFP told me not to get that.

yup this site saved me from buying Clorox salt. I went to Lowes the other week and they had tons of Clorox bags. I told my wife we need to get pool salt and she pointed to the Clorox bags, I was like no the TFP told me not to get that.

Here is why...

Apparently also the Clorox branded salt can come from various source areas and some were found to contain metals which appeared in folks pools almost instantly as big stains. It was a handful of folks here on TFP who experienced this so we said "No way could we recommend this product!".

I came to Walmart to buy Morton and they were out but had a ton of Clorox. Guess nobody’s buying it, Lotta bad reviews on Walmart.com for it also.
I haven’t even installed my SWG so I’m just building it up slowly so I can wait

Do they have water softener salt pellets? Just be sure they are plain, no iron whatever. That is what I use.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.