Cloromax in pool

A lot of store brands of laundry bleach are now using “Fabric Protection Technology” in their name which means they’ve all switched to lower concentrations (6%) and polyionic surfactant additives (Cloromax Technology). Unless you can find a bleach brand that is just straight sodium hypochlorite (no additives), then I would caution against using bleach from the store and suggest that folks switch to pool store chlorinating liquid.

A lot of store brands of laundry bleach are now using “Fabric Protection Technology” in their name which means they’ve all switched to lower concentrations (6%) and polyionic surfactant additives (Cloromax Technology). Unless you can find a bleach brand that is just straight sodium hypochlorite (no additives), then I would caution against using bleach from the store and suggest that folks switch to pool store chlorinating liquid.

It would suck big time if I couldn’t find plain bleach here anymore. I checked the local pool store for chlorine, and it’s $10 a gal. What a ripoff!

So far, at least for this past season, I’ve been able to get plain bleach at Home Depot and Kroger’s.

I'm thinking it's a no go then. It says "keeps whites brighter longer" on the label. I already put some of it in my pool. I haven't noticed any bubbling or slimyness though so hopefully I'm good.

You’re in Marana so go to eKonomy Pools and buy your liquid chlorine (and muriatic acid) in four 1 gallon refillable jugs. You pay a one-time $6 deposit for the safety carrier (the $6 is refundable) but it’s well worth it over the long run. Their LC is 10% (typically stronger) and has no additives. Last time I bought acid it worked out to $4.75/gallon...way better than any other pool store. Plus they’re a decent mom & pop local business that’s good to support. I think they over-charge on pool equipment and spare parts but that’s pretty much standard operating procedure for all pool shops.

You’re in Marana so go to eKonomy Pools and buy your liquid chlorine (and muriatic acid) in four 1 gallon refillable jugs. You pay a one-time $6 deposit for the safety carrier (the $6 is refundable) but it’s well worth it over the long run. Their LC is 10% (typically stronger) and has no additives. Last time I bought acid it worked out to $4.75/gallon...way better than any other pool store. Plus they’re a decent mom & pop local business that’s good to support. I think they over-charge on pool equipment and spare parts but that’s pretty much standard operating procedure for all pool shops.

Thanks! I get my acid from them already. I'll have look into their chlorine options.

The Walmart 'cleaning bleach' is plain still. only 6% but also only $1.77 at my local stores.

Awesome thanks for the info!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.