Hook_emHTX

Oct 6, 2019
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Alright folks... I am admittedly very ignorant about my pool and need some help here. This is my first pool purchased In a slightly older (30 yr old) home. We have had multiple problems since moving in, even though having a full inspection as part is the home buying process and having all new housing replaced on the pool pump.

When I first tested my water after moving in, we had high calcium. I drained about 18 inches of the pool and when I turned the valve back to recirculate when I fired up my pump, the gasket was damaged and it leaked back through the waste valve. Long story short, I opted to replace the valve on the DE filter and after two weeks without circulation I used the green to clean and multiple shocks to kill the algae and return my pool to blue.

As part of this process, I pulled the filter and cleaned it and reloaded with DE. I followed directions, but now after a week or so of running the pumps (me assuming everything was fine) I notice that the skimmers are not pulling any water and the filter is clogged.

How do I clear my skimmer lines, and what should I do with the filter? Can I just backwash it?

I should note as well that the vacuum that we purchased with the house is no longer working and can not be repaired. I know this will get easier, but if it weren’t for bad luck I might not have any luck at all.

Welcome to the forum!
It is most likely that algae has plugged your filter.
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

I’ve been having the chemistry tested at Leslie’s. It has been 7 days since testing, so I will run a sample by tomorrow, but 7 days ago FAC was 4 and ph was 7.8.

Before I applied the Green to Clean, I shocked with 4 gallons of liquid chlorine the day before the pump was fixed. I did the Green to clean and two additional shocks and let the pump on record until it was a milky white. I then ran it through the filter for about a day before I pulled the grids and washed them.

Both of my skimmers are currently clogged with DE. Water clarity has been good except for sediment on the bottom that wasn’t being picked up by the vacuum until I received the replacement Polaris today. How do I get the DE out of my skimmer plumbing? Do I just need to clean the filter again?

By the way, filter is at 33psi with normal operating pressure of 15-20.

I am sorry, but your skimmers are not clogged with DE. If they were, your filter pressure would be zero. Your filter is clogged with algae.

Thank you. I will break the filter down and clean again. Assume once I do the suction will return to the skimmer? Currently the drain below my strainer basket is full of DE.

Hook,

If the pipe between the skimmer and the pump were clogged with DE, the pump would not get any water.. I suspect that if you see DE under your skimmer basket it is in the hole that goes to the main drain, or the hole that is plugged..

In either case, if this were my pool I would open up the filter and removed the grids for a cleaning.. With everything still open, I would stick a garden hose in the pump and force water back from the pump and into the skimmer.. This will either prove the line is not plugged, or it will help clear the line if it is plugged.

If you are adding dry DE to your skimmer by the truck load, you are doing it wrong... :mrgreen:

Put the amount of DE you want to put in your filter in a five gallon bucket.. Fill the bucket with water.. it will not look like it but it will take almost five gallons of water. Mix up the DE into a slurry and with the pump running at a good clip, sloooowly pour the slurry into the skimmer.

Next time, stay out of the pool store and don't add stuff to your pool unless you know before hand what it is going to do...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hook,

If the pipe between the skimmer and the pump were clogged with DE, the pump would not get any water.. I suspect that if you see DE under your skimmer basket it is in the hole that goes to the main drain, or the hole that is plugged..

In either case, if this were my pool I would open up the filter and removed the grids for a cleaning.. With everything still open, I would stick a garden hose in the pump and force water back from the pump and into the skimmer.. This will either prove the line is not plugged, or it will help clear the line if it is plugged.

If you are adding dry DE to your skimmer by the truck load, you are doing it wrong... :mrgreen:

Put the amount of DE you want to put in your filter in a five gallon bucket.. Fill the bucket with water.. it will not look like it but it will take almost five gallons of water. Mix up the DE into a slurry and with the pump running at a good clip, sloooowly pour the slurry into the skimmer.

Next time, stay out of the pool store and don't add stuff to your pool unless you know before hand what it is going to do...

Thanks,

Jim R.
For what it’s worth, I’ve tried my best to do my homework and understand what I was doing before heading in and wrecking several thousands of dollars of equipment. I’ve had the pool repair guy out here walking me through the steps to get my pool back in order and educating me on what I need to do, but I’m sure I still have much to learn.

As for the DE, I followed the instructions and YouTube videos, but obviously I missed a step or something. I did mix but I poured it quickly and perhaps could have used more water. I’ll try to push water back through the skimmers and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Hook,

I reread my post and did not mean for it to sounds as harsh as it did when I read it again... ?

What I was trying to say is pool store advice is almost always wrong as their job is to sell you "Magic" in a bottle.. And as we all know.. magic is just not real..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am sorry, but your skimmers are not clogged with DE. If they were, your filter pressure would be zero. Your filter is clogged with algae.
So I came home and cleaned the filter today. After running the vacuum on the first day, it definitely clogged the filter. Keep in mind, the water was clear until running the vacuum but there was definitely a sediment built up on the bottom of the pool that was being neglected with the absence of a pool cleaner.

That being said, I pulled the filters and cleaned them and turned the pump back on. Filter pressure was running mid range after cleaning. Problem solved for the moment.

I shut the valve to the main drain and the filter pressure dropped to zero. I have two skimmers, and prior to doing this I tried to push water from the pump side back through the plumbing out the the skimmers to clear any blockage. Not easy to do with a water house.

So I’m pretty sure I just have a blockage on both of my skimmer lines. What can I do now?

I assume the main drain is on the left.

With pump off, close the main drain valve. Since you tried from the pump all ready, try from the skimmers with the hose. Take the pump basket lid off when you do. Try from the pump again if that does not work.

It would be odd if DE created a clog in both skimmer lines at the same time.

I assume the main drain is on the left.

With pump off, close the main drain valve. Since you tried from the pump all ready, try from the skimmers with the hose. Take the pump basket lid off when you do. Try from the pump again if that does not work.

It would be odd if DE created a clog in both skimmer lines at the same time.
I’ve tried all of the above. So far, no luck

When you tried to run water from the garden hose from the pump to the skimmer, and vice versa, was there water pushing through the lines?

Also, do you have another type of pool cleaner that you can use that does not use the skimmer lines? I would hold off on using the vacuum until you have the clog cleared.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.