Clear floating things all over top layer of water after opening

JonF7

Bronze Supporter
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Hello,

Just want to say I've been lurking my way to the last few successful pool seasons, so thank you everyone for your information! I opened my pool (brush, vacuum, backwash, replace DE) on 5/31 and shocked at night. My water is perfectly clear and the readings from my test kit are very positive the last few days; but these tiny floating things on the top are driving me insane. They are pretty much translucent and not very noticeable unless the light hits it just right, but the skimmer will not get these tiny things out. The filter has been running almost non-stop since then.

We did have a cover tear with some very questionable sitting water on-top over the winter, could this be some sort of left-over algae or mold? They aren't very white and am praying it isn't white water mold, but I would have no clue what it is otherwise? I also think the pool smells a bit off, but this smell is not a chloramine smell which I had last season.

Pool Spec - Vinyls:
Size: 21,500 gallons
Filter: Hayward DE4830
Pump: Hayward 1hp 115/230 volt. Couldn't really read it but can try again.
Heater: Hayward but not turned on yet this season

Pool Readings - 12 Noon 6-1 / 4pm 6-2
FC = 11 / 9
pH = 7.4 / 7.4
TA = 90 / 90
CH = ~200-250 / ~200-250
CYA = Under 30 / Under 30 (Big tablets in the Chlorinator until CYA gets higher, then will be adding bleach / shock for FC increases)

The pictures lost some quality in the email (and the liner is giving a weird color, but nothing is green/yellow/black. Thanks and let me know if you need any more details!

Attachments

• IMG_3668.jpg
    IMG_3668.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3671.jpg
    IMG_3671.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3669.jpg
    IMG_3669.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 4
I have the same thing at times. It is stuff falling from the sky and will filter out. Keep the pump running and it should clear up.

Now if you want to clear it up faster you can put a t-shirt over a flat net and scope it that way.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: JonF7
What you are describing sounds very simialar to what my pool looked like when the bubbles on the solar cover all popped. The skimmers didnt help much and there were 1 million contact lenses floating around. Not quite clear, not quite not.

Reactions: JonF7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.