Clear Blue Water but still new algae everyday

Hello everyone, been absent for a few days. I have not added any more bleach, but did add powder stabilizer last evening. Just took readings and here are the results.

pool math 6-8-18.jpg

Water level is dipping from hot temps, so I will be adding some new water to the pool. Also plan to a some borax for the Ph. Thinking of turning down the SWG.

Any other suggestions?

I would let you know my guidance but I cannot read the screen shot.

Any chance just listing the test results?

Take care.

The 1CC is concerning. Like to see that at 0.5 ppm at most.

I assume you have passed Overnight Chlorine Loss Test the past couple nights.

I would let FC get to 8 ppm and set SWCG to maintain that. No action needed on other items.

Take care

I am sure many members come here to seek advice, and once their problems are solved, we no longer hear from them. I am guilty of this. It has been a month since the members of this forum helped me get my pool in shape. So, tonight I thought it was time to step back and thank the forum members who helped me get my pool chemicals in control. Thank you all so very much!

You are so nice! It was a pleasure working with you. Your diligent brushing, utilization of PoolMath, and staying the course made our part much easier!

Any other questions or concerns?

Also, again, thank you so much for being a TFP Lifetime Supporter and for any Amazon Smile or additional donations you may have contributed!

Sad to say, I am back with the same problem. I apologize to Administrators as I started a new thread under Swimming Pool Start-up & Closing. I thought my questions were related to installing a new liner and fresh water and getting the chemicals right. But, no, clearly it is the same algae problem I had last year with the hits of brown algae that looks like sand/dirt. Since I have a new liner and water, I assume it must have entered the pool from the lines? Anyway, off to stock up on bleach today so that I can begin the SLAM process once again. As soon as I get my new regiments I will begin the process.

Can you take a picture of the brown stuff you refer to as Algae and post it. Could it be you are dealing mustard algae which requires a higher amount of chlorine to get rid of it. I'm sure the experts here will chime in.

Also, post your full set of test results.

My test reagents arrived today, so I began the SLAM process. First scrubbed the walls with a brush, then used my Dolphin Pool Cleaner to pick up all mustard algae (brown grit). I am using the new PoolMath app to track all this. But I have a question; when I enable the SLAM (Shock Level &Maintain) slider, it automatically populates the SLAM Target Level to 10. Then is said that my target is outside the suggested range. I thought last year the experts said I should keep the FC level around 28.

The PoolMath app said to add 1 gallon, 3 quarts of Bleach, but that doesn't seem like enough at all. I have an 18,000 gallon pool, vinyl liner. Can someone please tell me if PooMath app is right, or if not, what I should I add? Oh, current FC is 0.

Haven't posted full set of test results, because last year I was told don't do anything until you the the FC level up. Thanks for getting me going.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I cannot get the CYA to register. Once I fill the capacitor the black dot at the bottom remains clearly visible. One of the reasons I wanted new reagents because I couldn't get the CYA to register before either. The Taylor Kit references adding the cloudy mixture, but mine is not cloudy.

FC this morning 10. I noticed some algae (brown grit) in the bottom of the pool, near the main drain. I plan to remove that and add more chlorine.

Also, keeping your test data and additions current in PoolMath makes if very easy for us to see as you are sharing your Poolmath logs.

Old Pool Math calculator shows:
FC - 14
PH - 8.2
CYA - 25

Didn't test TA, CH, or Salt.

If I added 6 jugs of bleach and it only increased FC from 10 to 14, why is pool math suggesting only 3 gallons to reach 30 FC?
Thank you
Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 3.43.03 PM.png

I am sorry but I am lost. You stated earlier you had no CYA. Now you show 25 ppm. Is your FC dropping very fast after you add it?

I really am not sure. There continues to be mustard algae in the pool (on the floor next to the nearest jet, and on the white pool steps). However it is not showing itself this afternoon. I put in three more gallons of bleach an hour ago, and will test a little later. I will see how it looks in the morning. I thought I had to continue the SLAM for a few days until the algae is no longer visible.

The criteria for ending the slam are:
crystal clear water- not dull or hazy
CC 0.5 or less
pass the OCLT

If the water is clear but dull you need to continue to slam, your close but not quite there. Until the water is crystal clear and CC is greater than 0.5 there is no point in trying an OCLT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.