Cleaning Hayward sand filter

Sand should come about 2/3 full in the vessel. If you lifted the laterals up while doing maintenance, I'm afraid you'll have to remove the sand to get them back down to the bottom. :brickwall: If you go that far, might as well pull them all the way out and inspect them really well for damage. Remember to add about a foot of water before dumping the sand back in to protect the laterals from the weight.

Reactions: ShrinerManSC
Sand should come about 2/3 full in the vessel. If you lifted the laterals up while doing maintenance, I'm afraid you'll have to remove the sand to get them back down to the bottom. :brickwall: If you go that far, might as well pull them all the way out and inspect them really well for damage. Remember to add about a foot of water before dumping the sand back in to protect the laterals from the weight.
Thank you. Laterals look good. We had started taking the sand out. Oh my!! Nasty 🤮. Should we add any chlorine to the filter? I found this because I was in the middle of a SLAM and was not getting 2 off the 3 tests. Dead algae in the bottom of the pool and loosing chlorine over night.

If you completely emptied the filter to inspect the laterals, the sand should be fine as long as it didn't appear to be gummy or clumped which could be a result of someone using floc or clarifiers in the past. But if you go the vessel all clean and the sand looked like normal, gritty/fluffy etc, then you are good-to-go. Continue with the SLAM Process and you should do well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.