Clean and Clear 420: Rust in Filter Housing

dw886

Gold Supporter
Sep 19, 2016
ND
Opened pool on Friday, and when putting in the filters, I noticed some rust in the filter housing. Is this anything to be worried about? My water levels are all in good shape, and were at closing as well...

Levels:
FC: 2
CC: 0
TA: 90
CH: 150
PH: 7.6
Salt: 3200
CYA: 0

Here's the pictures:
20190419_173521.jpg20190419_173530.jpg

Attachments

• 20190419_173524.jpg
    20190419_173524.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 2
We never like to see rust or any signs of corrosion, but I don't see anything extremely odd in your numbers that would indicate a corrosive atmosphere. Of course your CYA is zero from opening, so the chlorine is much more harsh, but I'm sure you're working that soon. Some parts in our systems are simply prone to corrosion. I have a metal e-ring under the lid of my Hayward filter that seems to corrode every 1-2 years and I can't see why. But keep an eye on the remaining parts of your system and pool. Hopefully this is just an isolated component (clamp, ring bracket, etc) that would have otherwise began to rust no matter what you did.

This tends to happen where the stainless steel is welded or physically stressed.

Heat or mechanical stress can change the steel at the molecular level and make it more susceptible to corrosion.

Other than maintaining good chemistry there's not much you can do.

This tends to happen where the stainless steel is welded or physically stressed.

Heat or mechanical stress can change the steel at the molecular level and make it more susceptible to corrosion.

Other than maintaining good chemistry there's not much you can do.
I've seen this on welds before, and thought it was due to the additional metal added by the weld. It's the other side that has me a little more concerned - I'm hoping the insides of my other components (heater, pump) don't look the same...

My levels are always within range - I'm diligent in my testing and maintenance, so I don't know what more I can do if it's rusting when everything is within spec...

Thank you to all of you for the info. We had already cleaned and put it all back together before posting so did not want to take a part for pic, which I know helps. From reading these posts I am having the same issue so will take another good look when we clean again at the end of the season.
Thank You,
Paulette

I cleaned my 1-year-old CCP520 the other day and saw a little rust in exactly the same places. I guess the answer is "they all do that" but it doesn't make me happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.