Clarification on Ozone vs. UV---High daily FC loss

Ok-another 5 gallons so far today.

Bad news- I’m almost out of reagents. My order placed over the weekend won’t arrive until Friday.

I’ve checked the skimmers again-brushed and have never seen any sign of anything.

could there be anything else consuming the chlorine?

I really dread the thought of having to stop because I’m out of testing reagents. I don’t want to repeat the process. I cannot seem to get the pool to 24ppm FC to begin with let alone maintain it. But I’ve stopped testing after bleach additions to conserve reagents.

Water features, behind lights, ladders and even drains are other notorious hiding spots. Do you have those, and have you checked them?

Hi JJ Tex-

I have shear which we stick the metal rod in but only get out pvc remnants No ladder-I’ve brushed the drains and around the lights.
It’s a brand new pool-filled about 4 weeks ago-not sure how to take the lights out.

We’ve never “seen” anything. Our only symptom is going through bleach like it’s water.

good news is I found a pool store local that had one left of the reagents I need.

also will switch to 5ml samples-great tip for ensuring high FC!! I thought about it today but didn’t want the decreased accuracy—-but I was thinking for an OCLT. I can switch back to 10ml for those!!!

Last edited:
Ok-took apart the lights and didn’t see much in the pool. Went to the spa and there was some extra plaster around the edges. Some sand as well. Wasn’t sure if anything could grow in that so just plucked it all out with a flat screwdriver and running the pump in the spa to flush it all through.

the only thing we haven’t checked now is the filter. Warning label says we need a torque wrench to ensure appropriate tightening so we will have to get one tomorrow.

Also adjusted the pool volume up again-as I was still having to add more than the app suggested to get to appropriate levels.

Double thanks on the 5ml sample size-that is easier to check the levels when I have to keep it at 24.

Reactions: kimkats
Krysib,

Once you get the FC loss addressed, I'm in Houston and with Texas summer with heat and sun, I found if I bumped my CYA to 90 starting in mid July and kept it there for 2 months FC held better. Then starting in October I would let CYA drift back down to 60 using drain and rain water return me to a CYA of 60. Trying to maintain 60 CYA is fine for winter and May and June but otherwise I always had an issue with FC loss and starting chasing false algae issues. I'm not saying you don't have that but

Reactions: Krysib
Krysib,

Once you get the FC loss addressed, I'm in Houston and with Texas summer with heat and sun, I found if I bumped my CYA to 90 starting in mid July and kept it there for 2 months FC held better. Then starting in October I would let CYA drift back down to 60 using drain and rain water return me to a CYA of 60. Trying to maintain 60 CYA is fine for winter and May and June but otherwise I always had an issue with FC loss and starting chasing false algae issues. I'm not saying you don't have that but
Do you have a SWG? We do not... just want to verify!!

thanks for your advice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I told my husband to put a shovel in the cart and some lye....lol

nope-finally found some at Lowe’s-don’t like that they are stored outside but the fourth Walmart only had the two packs. I refuse to pay more for 2(although I guess I could’ve taken them out of the carton and left the empty cartons on the shelf)

also got my reagents early in the mail today! I’m set for the long weekend. I wish we didn’t have to hang out in the superchlorinated pool-but better than an algae bloom!!

Reactions: Newdude
Oh, and I took a water sample to the PS...just for fun and I got an “80%” grade!! Lol....

I got docked for high chlorine and high phosphates. (Of course)

Ive read the forums on phosphates-but curious if it’s worth the insurance once the SLAM is done. My neighbor- the one with the cloudy pool states they are always fighting phosphates. Wonder if it may just be a higher probability of problem due to local water supply, temps, etc.

I think I’d pay an extra $70 just to not do a slam anytime in my near future.

Read the above. Up to you on phosphates. Be sure you get your own test kit and properly measure what you have. If less than 2000 ppb, not really a big deal. If you do remove them, use a quality product.

Thanks Marty-I’ve had your recommendations of a test kit and quality phosphate remover in my amazon cart awaiting your reply! I’m debating just for the insurance for weeklong vacations, work travel etc. it looked like it was a no harm (except $$) but no real reason either if FC/cya is maintained. I’ll probably make a decision once the slam is done.....

POP...
POP...
POP......
🤯

Reactions: Newdude
It's like why you want a cinnamon roll just from walking into the mall. You know better than to fall for phosphates. You knew that going in. But you went ahead and stepped inside the pool store, you didn't ask, they didn't say, but you come home and for some reason you just can't get phosphates out of your head. It's mind control, man, I'm tellin' ya! Best to sleep tonight wearing a tin foil night cap. You'll be OK by morning...

Last edited:
Nice looking pool neighbor! Sorry you’re having some FC loss issues but it seems you’re almost there. Always good to see another LC resident on here! Surprisingly, I seem to have had one of the few builders that didn’t try to talk me out of a SWG. Been worth every penny.

When buying your chlorine, don’t forget to check the dates on them. Buying an old batch(chlorine degrades over time and more so when stored at higher temps) may yield little to no increase in your FC.
Chlorine Date Decoder

Nice looking pool neighbor! Sorry you’re having some FC loss issues but it seems you’re almost there. Always good to see another LC resident on here! Surprisingly, I seem to have had one of the few builders that didn’t try to talk me out of a SWG. Been worth every penny.

When buying your chlorine, don’t forget to check the dates on them. Buying an old batch(chlorine degrades over time and more so when stored at higher temps) may yield little to no increase in your FC.
Chlorine Date Decoder
Thanks Jbrillo! Glad to hear you found a builder that wasn’t against them. (Maybe I could connect with them to add the SWG upgrade!)

dirk-too true! I lve me some Cinnabon (but 90’s Cinnabon-not whatever they have now)!!

well....drumroll......only lost 0.5ppm FC from midnight to 6 am. CC under 0.5 and clear water. That sounds like a passing score to me.
Almost doubting it a little as I had to add bleach at 10:30 or so-but I turned the pump up and gave it an hour before final PM testing-so I think I’m good.

I will probably hold it at SLAM levels today-just for good measure and let it fall over the weekend.

anything I’m missing?

THANKS ALL!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk and mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.