Clamp Assembly stopped threading…just in time for 7/4!

May 31, 2022
Connecticut
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone might have a temporary fix to my clamp assembly problem. It stopped threading as of this morning. It’s a Pentair CCP320 filter.

I tried using plumbers tape but no matter what I do I can basically pull the nut/spring right off the clamp bolt even half way screwed in…it’s just not threading any longer.

Is there something I can get at Home Depot or Lowes as a temporary fix? Has this happened to anyone else?

Attachments

• BBCCDD8A-D558-412A-9851-F0C58306FDB0.jpeg
    BBCCDD8A-D558-412A-9851-F0C58306FDB0.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 15
I would take the ring off and look at the threaded bolt on its own. Then take the nut and review that. Are all the threads in good condition. Then thread the nut onto the bolt with no springs. See how it makes up.

You may have the ring not properly seated around the filter, so it is not engaging properly.

The bolt seems to be in fairly good condition, the nut can freely get pulled up and down the bolt without screwing, so I think the nut is no good. Do you think there is a temporary alternative at a hardware store?

The bolt seems to be in fairly good condition, the nut can freely get pulled up and down the bolt without screwing, so I think the nut is no good. Do you think there is a temporary alternative at a hardware store?
I would go to ACE Hardware. They seem to have the best assortment.
First I would rethread the bolt. I am curious why the nut threads are gone. Are the bolt threads in good shape?
You can then look for a large nut.
Have you tried Amazon.

For now, if you can find a nut and washer that work on the clamp bolt, tighten it up behind the Pentair nut. You would basically be using the Pentair nut as a bushing to compress the spring. You may need to take the clamp into the hardware store with you to find the correct thread for the replacement nut.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone might have a temporary fix to my clamp assembly problem. It stopped threading as of this morning. It’s a Pentair CCP320 filter.

I tried using plumbers tape but no matter what I do I can basically pull the nut/spring right off the clamp bolt even half way screwed in…it’s just not threading any longer.

Is there something I can get at Home Depot or Lowes as a temporary fix? Has this happened to anyone else?
If you find a nut at a hardware store to TEMPORARILY use, be sure it is stainless steel. Get a couple of stainless washers as well. Too many times I have seen pool owners intend to get the right assembly and use regular steel. When it rusts it will also destroy the bolt in the clamp. On older filters we just replaced the bolt. Now, the entire clamp assembly would need replacing. Get the proper nut and spring assembly as soon as you can, it is a part of a safety that is built into the clamp assembly.
At the very least you need this

194997​

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.