CircuPool SJ or RJ?

LazyL

May 14, 2015
Stillwater, NY
Getting ready to order either a SJ 40 or RJ 45 and trying to decide if the ~$130 more for the RJ is worth it.

The RJ offers real time salt readings which sounds like can be off by quite a bit and not as accurate as i would like. Since I will be buying a test kit to get the initial readings and since it sound like the salt level does not fluctuate that much, occasional testing my be just fine.

Honestly, the only thing i can see being a positive for the RJ is the temp display (silly I know but for some reason i like that feature), having a greater ability to dial in the chlorine production and an extra 2 years on the warranty.

Any other points or reasons why i should go with the RJ over the SJ?

The RJ does produce more chlorine per day (2.0 vs 1.7), so, in theory, the RJ cell would require less frequent cell replacement. I would also check cell replacement costs. I assume the RJ's salt sensor may fail and require replacement as well?

RJ takes a lower salinity to operate than the SJ. If you are sensitive to taste of salinity, that can be a consideration.

The RJ does produce more chlorine per day (2.0 vs 1.7), so, in theory, the RJ cell would require less frequent cell replacement. I would also check cell replacement costs. I assume the RJ's salt sensor may fail and require replacement as well?
The RJ cell is aprox 100 more to replace. According to my signature my pool is 28k g but in reality i think its more like 22-22K so either one should produce plenty of chlorine.

RJ takes a lower salinity to operate than the SJ. If you are sensitive to taste of salinity, that can be a consideration.
According to the Circupool website both start at 3000 but I see where those metrics lack consistency across other websites. No sensitivity to salt but not sure if there could be other negatives associated with a slightly higher salt concentration.

The RJ is rated to last more hours, something like 10,000 for the SJ and 15,000 hours for the RJ.
The RJ outputs more chlorine per day than the SJ.
The RJ requires less flow to operate.
The RJ has diagnostics to help troubleshoot the system. We can usually tell if the cell needs to be replaced from the diagnostic readings or if something else is wrong.
The RJ can be dialed in with smaller increments of output percentage. The SJ is adjusted with 20% jumps.
The RJ operates with less salinity than the SJ.
The SJ is cheaper.

I just ordered a CORE-55 because I don't have much space on my plumbing. The integrated flow switch on the CORE models makes them quite a bit more compact, plus I don't need to mount a separate control unit.

I just ordered a CORE-55 because I don't have much space on my plumbing. The integrated flow switch on the CORE models makes them quite a bit more compact, plus I don't need to mount a separate control unit.
Check to see if your plumbing is 2". Mine is all 1.5" and I had to cut out some and put 2" pipe in to accommodate the Core-55. Same goes to @LazyL because I believe all Circupool models require 2" plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check to see if your plumbing is 2". Mine is all 1.5" and I had to cut out some and put 2" pipe in to accommodate the Core-55. Same goes to @LazyL because I believe all Circupool models require 2" plumbing.

My plumbing is 2" so I shouldn't need adapters. The CORE-55 arrives today so I'll see the actual size then. If it won't fit on my horizontal pipe space, I'll need to mount on a vertical pipe, but that is still supposed to work, it just doesn't look as good. :rolleyes:

My plumbing is 2" so I shouldn't need adapters. The CORE-55 arrives today so I'll see the actual size then. If it won't fit on my horizontal pipe space, I'll need to mount on a vertical pipe, but that is still supposed to work, it just doesn't look as good. :rolleyes:
I'm not sure that the Core series can be mounted vertically. Depends on how stiff the flow switch is... The manual calls for 11 inches of straight pipe but I think you could do it in a much smaller space.

I just received my CORE-55 yesterday, and it appears to be well made. Hopefully you feel the same way about your RJ-45.

I'm not sure that the Core series can be mounted vertically. Depends on how stiff the flow switch is... The manual calls for 11 inches of straight pipe but I think you could do it in a much smaller space.

There is another thread where vertical mounting was discussed for the CORE series and it's supposed to be OK, it's just that the display will be sideways since it can't be rotated in the housing. In my case there is a jog in the horizontal pipe using two 45° elbows, so I plan to move the jog to one side to make more straight pipe space for the CORE-55. In addition to the 11" of pipe space to mount the unit, the manual calls for at least 6" of straight pipe before the inlet to make sure the flow switch will operate correctly. Hopefully I can make all that fit without too much trouble.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.