Circupool RJ-45 Production Test

Salt levels are fun:
Module Salinity - 4,400
Module Avg Salt - 3,200
Taylor K-1766 - 3,800
That's a big difference and it might indicate a difference in performance on different polarities.

You can reverse polarity by turning it off and then back on.

Reverse polarity and see if the numbers for volts, amps and instant salinity are the same.

The manual say that it has two reverse polarity cycles, but I don’t understand what that means.

The voltage and/or amperage should change from + to - when reversing the polarity.

NOTE: You may see a negative sign in front of some diagnostic numbers during normal operation.

This is normal and indicates the system is on one of its two Reverse Polarity cycles.

1657039973413.png
1657040019463.png

Reactions: Texas Splash
Salt levels are fun:
Module Salinity - 4,400
Module Avg Salt - 3,200
Taylor K-1766 - 3,800

Nothing like consistency huh? Ha ha

But you gave me some good details about the votes/amps to monitor. :goodjob: I'll watch those closely for the next few days to see if they fluctuate well out of range. This could certainly influence a potential warranty claim from the cell to the module itself. My first two seasons I ran at 30% output 24/7 which according to PoolMath is 4 ppm per day. This was the first time (3rd season) 30% was struggling which prompted me to crunch numbers like this. I expect a cell to wear over time and slowly lose some of its production, but this seemed kind of sudden. I'll continue to monitor.
My unit is about as accurate as yours, my Taylor kit says 2800 but the unit says 3300. Should I add more salt?

My unit is about as accurate as yours, my Taylor kit says 2800 but the unit says 3300. Should I add more salt?
I usually leave it alone if the SWG is happy and not throwing any red lights or errors. But if you are really concerned, you could add about 200 ppm which keeps both items in that 3,000 - 3,500 ballpark.

Salt levels are fun:
Module Salinity - 4,400
Module Avg Salt - 3,200
Taylor K-1766 - 3,800

Nothing like consistency huh? Ha ha

But you gave me some good details about the votes/amps to monitor. :goodjob: I'll watch those closely for the next few days to see if they fluctuate well out of range. This could certainly influence a potential warranty claim from the cell to the module itself. My first two seasons I ran at 30% output 24/7 which according to PoolMath is 4 ppm per day. This was the first time (3rd season) 30% was struggling which prompted me to crunch numbers like this. I expect a cell to wear over time and slowly lose some of its production, but this seemed kind of sudden. I'll continue to monitor.
Did you have happen to check and remember what those numbers were early on?

Maybe you should let a pool store do a professional water test 🤣🤣🤣

I just installed my RJ-45+ two weeks ago. I originally figured I'd have make up 2-2.5 ppm of loss every day based on previous year's usage of liquid chlorine at 30-50 CYA level. I surmised a new, higher CYA level may effect this some, but would get a feel for it as I go. Based on Pool Math I originally set up a pump run time of 10 hours and a 40% SWG setting to generate 2.2ppm of FC. Levels held for a few days and then began dropping off. Not unexpected(I thought) as previous years my LC usage would increase after the 1st week of July. I increased to 50%, a day later 60%, then increased my run time to 14 hours to make sure I had enough cycling time. I double checked CYA and added 1lb just to make sure I was in proper range. Something just didn't seem right, then I saw your post. I tested the past two nights for the same amount of time. My pool size is almost identical to yours, unfortunately my results are even worse.

UNIT: RJ-45+
HOURS (Nighttime) TESTED: 7
OUTPUT SETTING: 100%
PROJECTED FC OUTPUT (per Poolmath) - 3.9 ppm
ACTUAL FC OUTPUT: 1.4 the first night, 1.6 the second night.

I noted my volts/amps last night and this morning while it was generating ....... 22.6-23.0 V 5.57-5.70 A Salt is well within the limits on the controller unit reading as well as my testing. I will perform an OCLT to make sure, but I have no reason to think it's going to be a factor. I was running my FC at 7 and only ever got to 5 for a day. The pool is crystal clear( you know, like always). My SWG was off during the day yesterday and I noted a FC loss of 1.2 during a mostly cloudy day with some sun showing itself in the late afternoon. That's as close to knowing what my daily FC usage is with a CYA of 70. My most recent setting of 14 hours @ 60% should be producing 4.7ppm of FC. It would appear something is amiss.

PROJECTED FC OUTPUT (per Poolmath) - 3.9 ppm
ACTUAL FC OUTPUT: 2.5
Here are my results. I did the production test first night and followed up with OCLT test the following night (0.0 OCLT loss). I used 25 mL samples, repeated each test 3X and noted the average result.

PROJECTED FC OUTPUT (per Poolmath) - 3.8 ppm
ACTUAL FC OUTPUT: 2.7
SALT LEVEL: 3200
CYA: 80

My output is 71% of CP claimed output, compared to Pat's 64%.

Somewhat disappointed, but not surprised. It would be an interesting experiment to run the SWG for 24 hours/100%, but I'm not inclined to do it at this point.

Let us know what CP says Pat.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think it would be important while comparing to also note the CYA and salinity as those contribute to the cells efficiency.
The salt could certainly be a factor. These are nighttime FC production tests though, so the CYA shouldn't be a player unless someone is sharing daytime results.

Pat is running out to get more test strips now to retest
Funny thing, those who know me know I'm OCD about tracking data - spreadsheets specifically. I have one for just about everything at home to track things (bills, maintenance, etc). I started another spreadsheet a few days ago for all the data on my RJ module, so I'll include that at some point. But of course the module Salinity Now and average levels never match-up with my K-1766. Ha

Here are the dimensions of the Hayward plates and the production in lbs per day at 100% for 24 hours.

Assuming the same voltage, salinity and water temperature, the production will be about the same assuming the same plate surface area.

T-15 has 13 Titanium Plates, 150 x 63mm. Produces 1.47 lbs/day.

T-9 has 13 Titanium Plates, 101 x 63mm. Produces 0.98 lbs/day.

T-5 has 7 Titanium plate, 150 x 63mm. Produces 0.735 lbs/day.

T-3 has 7 Titanium Plates, 101 x 63mm. Produces 0.53 lbs/day.

What is the size of the cell plates and how many plates are there?

Can you get a measurement from looking in the clear plastic or does anyone have an old one they can cut open?

Maybe someone can contact the company and ask what the cell plate size is and how many plates per cell.

Based on the amps, the production is somewhere between the T-9 and the T-15.

Funny thing, those who know me know I'm OCD about tracking data - spreadsheets specifically. I have one for just about everything at home to track things (bills, maintenance, etc). I started another spreadsheet a few days ago for all the data on my RJ module, so I'll include that at some point. But of course the module Salinity Now and average levels never match-up with my K-1766. Ha
That’s why I was joking CP “ sir what is your free chlorine and have you tracked it” Pat “ what date and time do you want? Want my CSI also”

So here is an update to my FC production concerns. I've been capturing my module data for a few days now and here is what I am seeing at 40% output (water temp 89 - 92 degrees):
NOT GENERATING: Volts: 26.6 - 29.1; AMPS: 0; SALINITY NOW 0; AVERAGE SALT 3,200
GENERATING: Volts: 20.7 - 22.4; AMPS: -4.76 to -5.66 and 4.86 to 5.45; SALINITY NOW: 2,920 - 3,790; AVERAGE SALT: 3,200
- My K-1766 salt results are usually around 3,600 ppm.

@JamesW, it looks like I have 13 plates. The manual states volts should be 21.0 to 27.0 volts when generating, otherwise 16-31V. AMPS when generating anywhere between 2.50 - 7.80. While my amps appear to be in a good place, the volts are on the low end. Still, it is within range so I doubt there is anything to accomplish by attempting a warranty service request. In hindsight, I wish I would've captured some of these number back in Apr 2020 when the unit was brand new.

I've been doing some experimenting with my chemistry which perhaps later I'll be able to share. But for now my cell seems to be holding better. I think the big takeaway from this experience is as follows. A manufacture can advertise the cell will product X-lbs in 24 hrs, but you can bet that's under "ideal conditions". In other words, don't get your hopes up. In addition, while the overnight GAIN test can help to show you if the cell is producing some chlorine at night, don't expect it to be spot-on with a specific number like I was expecting it to do per PoolMath. As far as Discount Salt Pools is concerned, if the cell is producing chlorine it's good.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.