Circupool RJ 30+ Problems

I would just wait for the cleaning plug. I bought mine on Amazon and got it pretty quick. The 4 to 1 acid wash worked really good, fast and easy for me. The plates looked new afterwards, and it cleaned the whole cell as well. You can dip it in a bucket with the acid mix too.

I was able to limp along by manually powering off/on if the controller shut off, while I waited for the plug.
Thanks. I found a stand on Amazon for 10 bucks that will be here on weds. I have the bypass pipe installed and I’m in slam anyway. Hopefully I pass OCLT tonight this way I will have LC leftover to chlorinate until my SWG is back in business.

The manufacturers recommendation is based on what they think may work best and doesn't take into account that higher concentrations of MA/water mixture will erode the coating on the plates much faster.

Use the 10:1 water to MA ratio suggested above to properly clean the SWG and keep the plate coating erosion to a minimum. Or use vinegar (I believe cleaning vinegar) undiluted.

Only leave the cleaning solution in contact with the plates until the fizzing stops. Then rise the cell with fresh water.

Also, do not place the entire cell in a bucket filled with the cleaning solution. Only fill the internal part of the cell - where the plates are. You don't want/need the cleaning solution in contact with the external electric cord and its cell connector.

Reactions: DanF and mknauss
Well I think you are right. Is there a way to clean this without waiting for that cleaning plug to arrive? How did this happen in 6ish months. I tried a jet from a garden hose and it didn’t do much.
Positive CSI lends to scaling in the SWCG - I learned this the hard way as well.

Before acid washing, I'd get some plastic zip ties, wood skewers, etc and scrape as much as you can off. Mine wasn't quite as bad as yours appears, but I was able to get 95% off using water and non-abrasive poking.

Then running a negative CSI cleaned most of the rest off the plates (or at least that I can see when in water) and cell is back to producing well. Save acid cleaning for only when absolutely necessary based on the advice here - helps cell last longer.

Thanks I will try that. I need to keep my pH in check better to keep my CSI slightly negative. I have been slacking on adding MA as often as I should be, and I was also worried about negative CSI with new plaster.

In finally done SLAMing and my cleaning plug should be here tonight.
Positive CSI lends to scaling in the SWCG - I learned this the hard way as well.

Before acid washing, I'd get some plastic zip ties, wood skewers, etc and scrape as much as you can off. Mine wasn't quite as bad as yours appears, but I was able to get 95% off using water and non-abrasive poking.

Then running a negative CSI cleaned most of the rest off the plates (or at least that I can see when in water) and cell is back to producing well. Save acid cleaning for only when absolutely necessary based on the advice here - helps cell last longer.
I did not have much luck with a zip tie.. I dont have any bamboo skewers. I am going to hit it a little better with a hose before I chemical clean it. My cleaning stand should be here today. Also I am done SLAMing. Thank god because LC is expensive these days. Hope to have the pool swim ready by Friday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks. At what point will the pH test start being accurate again? I need to get my CSI under better control.
~10ppm or less.

You might consider testing without the acid wash. It’s smart to avoid that if you can get enough out physically to make the cell happy.

Update… I couldn’t clean much of anything off with tools, so I did the MA soak and it bubbled up real good for about 10 min. I emptied the cell and there was still a bit of white scale that my hose would not remove so I did another soak. This time it stopped bubbling in a few minutes and then it was clean. I got it hooked back up to the pool and it flashes hi salt every once in a while but the amps/volts are good and you can see it generating. My salt is 4200 but the cell is reading 5300 so I’m not sure what that’s about.

I guess this is a lesson learned to keep my pH in check better and check the cell for scale maybe every few months when I do filter cleanings so I can catch this before it gets so bad next time.

DSP wants me to open the control unit and move a jumper over to bypass the temperature sensor. He said if that changes the salinity reading closer to real life he is going to send me a standalone temp/flow sensor that screws into the flow sensor tee. He also said that scale can cause the temp to read lower than normal but I cleaned the cell out pretty well and dont really want to acid wash anymore.

Moving the jumper to bypass the temp sensor did not change the salinity reading. Then they said try hooking up the old cell that had the cell connection error. It still said cell connection so now they are sending me a label to sent them the old cell and control unit. Frustrating how drawn out this is but it seems theyre trying to help me. Guess I'm back on LC for a bit. DSP is in my area so hopefully I am back on a SWG soon.

I finally got an email invoice from Circupool, not DSP, that said they replaced a circuit board cooling fan. The warranty is pro rated so I had to pay 60 percent of a 70 dollar repair plus shipping and tax. In the meantime I've been dosing with LC and I used MA and my waterfall to get the TA back down to 80. I've been testing pH each day and it seems to be holding at 7.8 instead of constantly rising like it was before. Hope to be back on SWG soon and this time I will be checking/adjusting my pH 2-3 times a week instead of once.

I finally got an email invoice from Circupool, not DSP, that said they replaced a circuit board cooling fan. The warranty is pro rated so I had to pay 60 percent of a 70 dollar repair plus shipping and tax. In the meantime I've been dosing with LC and I used MA and my waterfall to get the TA back down to 80. I've been testing pH each day and it seems to be holding at 7.8 instead of constantly rising like it was before. Hope to be back on SWG soon and this time I will be checking/adjusting my pH 2-3 times a week instead of once.
Thanks for the update/info. Sending my controller back tomorrow. They insisted it had to be the 3 year old cell so i bought a new one. Still the same issues that you described with the new one. I'm hoping it's an inexpensive fix. As for the expensive new cell I'll wait to see what they say.

What exactly was your issue? Mine was scaling obviously but after cleaning it did produce FC, just didn’t read temp or salinity correctly. It’s hot out so I’m sure the second it cools down it would have stopped producing prematurely due to temp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.