Circular patches failing

whatdidigetmyselfinto

Jun 6, 2019
Ottawa, ON
I have these circular patches on the side and bottom of our viynl pool and slowly the pool cleaner has lifted their edges.

These patches predate me. What could they be for?

They seem to be in a line pattern making me think of a strong chemical that was dropped and damaged the liner?

And finally : is that still the best approach going forward? Replace them with new patches?

That will be an interesting diving experiment :)

Attachments

• 84CFD9AD-E05D-49BC-8FE5-0D9860026626.jpeg
    84CFD9AD-E05D-49BC-8FE5-0D9860026626.jpeg
    986.9 KB · Views: 17
They appear to be just what you called them, "patches." Not uncommon for original liner material to be used as a patch over a leak/damage. May even be from the original installation. Perhaps the liner was dragged into the pool on installation or manufacturing defect.

So peel them off and psych again?

I noticed they have used a strong glue to apply them. Will I have to remove and reapply the patches? Or do you I will be able to apply some of the same glue to make them stick again? Patches themselves are fine just slowly peeling...

So peel them off and psych again?

I noticed they have used a strong glue to apply them. Will I have to remove and reapply the patches? Or do you I will be able to apply some of the same glue to make them stick again? Patches themselves are fine just slowly peeling...
If you peel them, there is the possibility of tearing the liner, be gentle. You need a vinyl repair glue that can be used under water.

Don't remove the existing patches, that's asking for trouble. Patch over them with new bigger patches making sure to use plenty of glue all the way to the ends of the new patches. I don't know whether you can do this underwater or not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.