Chunk of concrete breaking off raised area

chunky

Dec 16, 2017
Mesa/AZ
This goes back over a year ago, so here's a condensed story. Pool was remodeled from plaster to pebble about 11 years ago. Steps, raised bench areas and spa were added at that time.

Noticed a crack near spa area bench that slowly got worse. We also began to think we had a leak in the pool, but after dropping water level beneath returns, the pool level stopped dropping as the same rate. Water level was still above cracked areas, so I think that may be an issue in the pipes. Different topic for now.

The crack(see photos). We eventually drained the pool because we left town for a prolonged period and didn't want a green mess when we returned. Crack expanded a bit more and I noticed some additional spider cracks on outer curves in other locations. Tapping on them sounded hollow, and I eventually hit an area hard enough it crumbled. You can see some of that in the photos.

So I decided to pick at the scab. There is a separation in the concrete bench. I can move the entire cracked slab slightly, so I know it's basically just resting where it's at. I guess my question is this...what are the solutions.

I could have someone rebuild concrete area. Or, perhaps saw out the section and create a mini step in that area. I'm curious if anyone has dealt with this and what they did. I'm also curious if anyone can cite a $. I intend to call a few remodelers for quotes, but wouldn't mind some input from this forum. Or, I may rent a larger masonry saw and just cut out the section to my liking. Don't know yet. I'm kind of a crazy diy'er at times.

Any input appreciated. Thank You.

MinerJason

Bronze Supporter
Jan 29, 2018
Tucson, AZ
When the remodel was done, were the steps and bench added with shotcrete/gunite, or was the concrete poured in place? Kinda looks like someone used the rebound from a shotcrete shoot to form part of the step.

Regardless of how it happened, best bet for repair is to chip out anything loose/hollow sounding/weak, and reform it. Chipping rather than saw cutting will help ensure you get all the loose out, and will give a better surface for the new concrete to adhere to.

chunky

Dec 16, 2017
Mesa/AZ
When the remodel was done, were the steps and bench added with shotcrete/gunite, or was the concrete poured in place? Kinda looks like someone used the rebound from a shotcrete shoot to form part of the step.

Regardless of how it happened, best bet for repair is to chip out anything loose/hollow sounding/weak, and reform it. Chipping rather than saw cutting will help ensure you get all the loose out, and will give a better surface for the new concrete to adhere to.
Thanks Jason. I'm not 100% sure how it was poured. I wasn't present at that moment. I did see some sandbags that were put in under a rebar framework before that occurred. I don't know what the proper method would be. I agree tearing out everything loose. Get a solid foundation and build back as desired.