Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hello everyone! The forum has taught me so much, so I’m hoping you guys can help me again. I bought some Christmas palms (triples) to plant behind my pool but I’m not sure how far away to plant them from the edge of the pool? I had the pool builder do a footer for a future screen but don’t think we will end up doing the screen. Here is a picture of them just placed behind the pool.

Attachments

• DC3132D7-5424-4A63-8A37-D4F182CDDDE2.jpeg
    DC3132D7-5424-4A63-8A37-D4F182CDDDE2.jpeg
    579.6 KB · Views: 66
I am sure you want to create some shade around the pool. But I would say plant the palms as far away from the pool as possible.

Right now you have a clear area where little tree debris will fall into your pool. I believe the palms will drop berries and dead fonds. I am not sure how frequently they will during the year. If it falls into the pool you are increasing your pool cleaning workload.

Reactions: SchubeyDew
I am sure you want to create some shade around the pool. But I would say plant the palms as far away from the pool as possible.

Right now you have a clear area where little tree debris will fall into your pool. I believe the palms will drop berries and dead fonds. I am not sure how frequently they will during the year. If it falls into the pool you are increasing your pool cleaning workload.
Thanks Aj. That’s a good point, however these don’t really shed much at all and when they do the whole Branch/leaf just gets pulled off. Some additional shade would be nice but they are more for scenery and privacy than anything else. I don’t want to put them too far back from the pool because I still want it to feel like it’s part of the pool area. I’m thinking 5’ would probably be good, but that kind of based on nothing in particular.

Our christmas palm is about 15” from the pool edge. We’ve had a Christmas palm in this spot for about 15 years. This one is only in about a year as the first one grew too tall and was hitting the top of the pool cage. Both palms have thrived in this location and you are correct, little to no debris in the pool. With 7 grandkids, the area gets a lot of splashing water on it.

Attachments

• 148181E1-F79A-41B9-9A26-5DEB05D69B18.jpeg
    148181E1-F79A-41B9-9A26-5DEB05D69B18.jpeg
    801.4 KB · Views: 42
Our christmas palm is about 15” from the pool edge. We’ve had a Christmas palm in this spot for about 15 years. This one is only in about a year as the first one grew too tall and was hitting the top of the pool cage. Both palms have thrived in this location and you are correct, little to no debris in the pool. With 7 grandkids, the area gets a lot of splashing water on it.
Mlamb, thank for your firsthand experience! I talked to a neighbor today who said his Christmas palms were also about 18” away from the pool.

When I moved into my house the pool already had landscaping around it.

We currently have 4 doubles of Christmas palms and 3 triples of dwarf date palms about 1-2 feet from the pool, these are mature large palms for the type they are so they've been here for years.

I stay on top of cutting down seed pods and removing the fronds palms shed it isn't too bad. I've been at the house about 4 years and haven't had any issues with the palms other than maintenance.

Reactions: SchubeyDew
Thanks everyone! I ended up putting them two feet from the edge of the pool deck. Looks good and shouldn’t cause any issues.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.