Raleigh NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I'm considering converting our nearly 1 year old 27K gallon pool to a SWG. We have a Pentair Intelliflow pump with EasyTouch and ScreenLogic. The pool is in the sun all day long. Bather load 2 people. CYA at 50. I know the cell should be oversized to reduce run time but is an IC60 overkill? Is there any downside other than initial cost with going with the IC60?

I have obtained a quote for this conversion and it includes a Pentair Salt Generator Power Center. Does this connect to EasyTouch and will the SWG adjustments be accessible in the ScreenLogic app? Is there anything else that's needed to make the conversion? Will my CYA level need to be increased? Thanks.

Dj,

We always recommend a SWCG be rated for 2 x the volume of the pool.. In your case, the IC60 is your only real option.

Since I assume your EasyTouch did not come with an internal SWCG power supply, then you will need the external Power Center. It gets wired into the EasyTouch. The power must be connected to the load side of the Pump/Filter relay and the com ports of the two units must be connected together.

Once installed, you should see a screen like this on your PC..

View media item 1963

You can run a CYA of 50 if you want. The lower the CYA, the more FC your pool will use each day and the higher the SWCG output will need to be.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Since I assume your EasyTouch did not come with an internal SWCG power supply, then you will need the external Power Center
And if you need a power center, it's the same one for the 20/40/60 so there is no additional costs besides the cell going larger. (y)

Thanks all! Now I have to convince myself we're going to like the feel of a salt water pool.

Jimrahbe, is that same screen available on the iOS ScreenLogic app?

Now I have to convince myself we're going to like the feel of a salt water pool.

Dj,

I've said this many times before, but just for you... When you get out of a non-saltwater pool, you feel like you need a shower. When you get out of a saltwater pool, you feel like you just took a shower. :mrgreen: I suggest that you run your cell using a salt level below 3500. I try to run at 3200 to 3300.

I have never seen the screens from an Apple system, but I'm pretty sure that you will get the same info, even if the screen is a little different.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Now I have to convince myself we're going to like the feel of a salt water pool.
You probably have quite a bit of salt in the pool already. What's your current salt level?

Your signature shows AquaChek 561140A Salt Test Strips. Get/borrow a proper Taylor K-1766 kit to measure your salt level. See if a friend or neighbor may have one that you could borrow to run a test.

You probably have quite a bit of salt in the pool already. What's your current salt level?

Your signature shows AquaChek 561140A Salt Test Strips. Get/borrow a proper Taylor K-1766 kit to measure your salt level. See if a friend or neighbor may have one that you could borrow to run a test.
With the AquaChek strips salt level is about 675. When I bought these strips I wasn’t thinking SWG so I thought they would be accurate enough for my purposes. The highest I’ve measured was 750 in November.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We've decided to make switch to a SWG with the Pentair IC60. What instructions or questions should I have for the installer? The IC60 should be connected to the EasyTouch panel. Should the IC60 be on it's own breaker and circuit? Installer has already told me his normal distributor is out of stock on both the IC40 and 60. Is there any Pentair warranty concerns with the installer not being a Pentair warranty center?

Our CYA is at 50. Should I raise the CYA to 60-70? I have a lot of TriChlor pucks from prior to switching to liquid chlorine so I intend to use those to raise the CYA.

The IC60 should must be connected to the EasyTouch panel.
djp,

Connecting the IC60 to the EasyTouch is "must" thing and not a "should" thing. The Power Center has to get its AC power from the load side of the Pump/Filter relay. You should not need a separate breaker unless you just want one.

The Power Center's com port will also need to be connected to the EasyTouch's com port.

If your install guy does this stuff for a living that is all that is required.

You don't need to bring your CYA up until the summer starts to get here.

Thanks,

Jim R.

What instructions or questions should I have for the installer?
The IC60 should have have a minimum of 12"-18" of straight pipe before the cell.

Ensure you test your salt level with a K-1766 before adding salt.

Add a little less salt than you think; it's easy to add another bag but harder to reduce the salt level. When adding the salt, make sure you have the cell off and circulate the pool for at least 24 hours before using the IC60.

Reactions: Newdude
It Also needs a full day to mix. You won't see it right away so be patient, brush any residuals and test again the next day before adding any more. (y)

Reactions: Jimrahbe
The IC60 should have have a minimum of 12"-18" of straight pipe before the cell.

djp,

If you can do this great! But it is really not a major issue.. My system was installed by my pool builder with about 1" of straight pipe before the cell and it works just exactly like the two rent house pools that have 18" before the cell. I can't see any operational difference.

I suspect that rule was written back in the old single speed pump days...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: pjt
+1. Mine was had a 90 degree elbow with unions glued to it. The heater was on one side and the SWG was the other.

So I scheduled the installation of the SWG but IC60s are nowhere to be found. Installer said they were told by their distributor about a 1 month wait. I spoke with Pentair and the rep said they are currently in manufacturing but couldn't explain why everyone is out of stock. IC40s are available locally but I wanted the 60.

Installer said....... 1 month wait
PBs may be locked into a contract with the local distributer or only be able to purchase from local distributors per their authorized dealer contract. If they are out of stock, their hands are tied.

I faced a similar problem calling all of the local pool places looking for equipment as they all used the same 2 distributors by me and all got the same answer. So I found my stuff online and shipped it. Ask your PB if they will credit you if you can provide it yourself.

Several of my online purchases which claimed availability got flagged shortly after the fact as backordered, but I cast a wide net and the first of each item that showed up, won. One succeeded over the internet from the west coast, one by a phonecall to FL and one was just plain dumb luck walking into the right pool store a few towns over.

But you'll have any options that the PB doesn't so see if they are cool with it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.