Texas Tony

Apr 9, 2022
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all - Great site and i've been spending a few hours reading and getting familiar. I'm a new pool owner and adopted a pretty good project to say the least.

I will be adopting the TFP methodology and waiting on my TF100 to arrive any day. I've been using Leslies until now, and I still have half a container of Shock (Power Powder Plus) and almost half of Chlorine Tabs (3" Jumbo Tabs). Do I need to just count my losses and donate those and start right away, or can I phase them out?

I'm heading to the store to buy Liquid Chlorine now so I can SLAM :)

Thanks in advance!

Tony

Power Powder plus appears to be cal hypo (calcium hypochlorite). You may be able to use the rest of that if your calcium hardness level isn’t too high. Let us know what that is when you get your TF100.

As Homebrewale mentioned save the tabs for when you’re away for a bit and can’t add chlorine.

Reactions: Texas Tony
Welcome to TFP :)

You can keep both of those and still use them when needed.. That is the best part of TFP, know what you are putting in the pool and when to put a certain type in like already mentioned for vacation :)

Thank you! This is my updated results from Leslie's until my test comes in.

Calcium Hardness is high, I also noticed my suggested range on TFP is significantly higher than Leslie's target.

I bought the Liquid Chlorine and planned to put it in today since I added Muriatic Acid last night. Will update tomorrow after I retest, I slipped and mentioned at Leslies that I was going to add Liquid Chlorine and she told me not to that my levels were fine. I said ok and walked out knowing I was going to anyway thanks to ya'll!

==========================================
Congo Oasis
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Plaster
Volume: 20000 gallons
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 3.1 (6 hours ago)
CC: 3.2 (6 hours ago)
pH: 7.5 (6 hours ago)
TA: 92 (6 hours ago)
CH: 417 (6 hours ago)
CYA: 76 (6 hours ago)
TEMPERATURE: 72° (yesterday)
==========================================
Test Results 04-13-2022 @ 11:39 AM
Free Chlorine: 3.1
Combined Chlorine: 3.2
pH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 92
Calcium Hardness: 417
CYA: 76

Chemical Addition 04-12-2022 @ 07:26 PM
+ 90 Fluid Ounces of MuriaticAcid29

Test Results 04-12-2022 @ 04:17 PM
Free Chlorine: 3.3
Combined Chlorine: 3.6
pH: 8.0
Total Alkalinity: 99
Calcium Hardness: 422
CYA: 78
Temperature: 72°F

Tony, as you will see & hear many times, don't make any changes based on those store test results. Some of those could be way off. You'll see why later when your kit arrives. In the meantime, you can (should) add some liquid chlorine each day to maintain a decent FC level. To know how much you should update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Also be sure to sign up for the PoolMath APP and link it (in settings) to your TFP account so we can see all of your own testing. Once your kit arrives, you'll see how this all goes together. Quite easy really with the test kit.

I would do nothing to your pool with a pool store test... Who knows what they were testing, what was in there from the last person who got a free test..

With your pool being 20k gallons, 1 Gallon of 10% will raise FC by 5.. Pour 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine in per day till your test kit comes in... that will keep Algae at bay... When you get your test kit post your numbers and we can go from there and start your SLAM.. :)

Tony, as you will see & hear many times, don't make any changes based on those store test results. Some of those could be way off. You'll see why later when your kit arrives. In the meantime, you can (should) add some liquid chlorine each day to maintain a decent FC level. To know how much you should update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Also be sure to sign up for the PoolMath APP and link it (in settings) to your TFP account so we can see all of your own testing. Once your kit arrives, you'll see how this all goes together. Quite easy really with the test kit.
That makes total sense - Thanks for the info - Updating my signature shortly!

I downloaded the app and signed up. I'll add that to my signature also - Missed that part!

Thanks!

Ok, I updated my signature - Hoping it worked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm hoping that they didn't measure a CC of 3.x and that you meant TC instead.

Free Chlorine (FC) [the good kind] + Combined Chlorine (CC) [the bad kind] = Total Chlorine (TC)
They only measured Free Chlorine and listed "Total Chlorine" so I'm guessing i need to update with the delta in the app?

Attachments

• 20220413_140912.jpg
    20220413_140912.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 10
Ok, so after being gone for 4 days and getting some rain. I've gotten my test from TFT. Sadly, one of the plastic measuring containers was cracked, however I was able to compete my tests. My eyes definitely don't like the Chlorine and PH tests. Color matching isn't my strong suit. Hopefully my results are in my signature.

This was the results of the Chlorine and PH. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20220417_173118.jpg
    20220417_173118.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 27
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.