Jbake37

Oct 5, 2021
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool lady came on Monday, dumped some chlorine in the pool. Now all we smell is chlorine or chloramine gasses. Feel like an idiot asking this question because I’m brand new at setting to learn about this. I assume more chlorine would need to be added? Testing the pool water should be the first step on my part. Correct?

Using a proper test kit to get accurate pool water chemistry results is always the first step. Then add to the pool what the testing guides you too. Dumping in some chlorine is not proper pool water chemistry maintenance.

Reactions: Jbake37
J,

Pools that are maintained using the TFP pool care method do not have any chlorine smell...

If your pool smells like a public pool, then it is not being maintained correctly.

You should take a read through our Pool School and see what we are all about.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP!

A couple ounces of urine in a 10,000 gallon pool would not be noticeable. Unfortunately pool managers, especially in a place like Florida where there's competition and prices need to be kept low to compete, spend as little time caring for a pool as possible. That means quickly testing with cheap and inaccurate supplies, dumping in whatever will keep the water looking acceptable, and getting to the next stop. I'm not saying they don't care, but to stay in business in a field where margins are low then quantity has to go before quality.

Unfortunately without a good set of test results we can't really give too much insight. Adding chemicals to a pool without knowing what it needs and how much is just as likely to make things worse as it is better. It all starts with good data to base decisions on.

As far as water smell, here's something I've written before when someone asked why their TFPC pool doesn't smell like a public pool:
The smell we associate with chlorine is actually the by-product chloromines produced by chlorine oxidizing something. In a pool with extremely high bather load and chlorine-to-CYA level (think public pool with no CYA) things oxidize so quickly that it throws these chloromines in to the air before they can be further broken down. In a pool with very low chlorine-to-CYA level (many residential pools) the oxidation is slower but there's not enough chlorine to further break down the initial by-products so you get a strong smell.

In a TFPC pool you have a good balance so there's plenty of chlorine to break down contaminates and then further process the by-products, but not so much that it's going crazy on skin and swimsuits. You'll get a hint of the smell when you first get in, especially if you recently applies sunscreen. Otherwise it smells like a pool is supposed to smell like, clean and fresh but not overpowering.

J,

Our site is dedicated to teaching homeowners how to maintain their own pools... The main problem with "Pool guys" is that they only have about 10 minutes to keep your pool running for a whole week. Kind of like only changing an infants diaper once a week... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
That’s about how long she is here.

Welcome to TFP!

A couple ounces of urine in a 10,000 gallon pool would not be noticeable. Unfortunately pool managers, especially in a place like Florida where there's competition and prices need to be kept low to compete, spend as little time caring for a pool as possible. That means quickly testing with cheap and inaccurate supplies, dumping in whatever will keep the water looking acceptable, and getting to the next stop. I'm not saying they don't care, but to stay in business in a field where margins are low then quantity has to go before quality.

Unfortunately without a good set of test results we can't really give too much insight. Adding chemicals to a pool without knowing what it needs and how much is just as likely to make things worse as it is better. It all starts with good data to base decisions on.

As far as water smell, here's something I've written before when someone asked why their TFPC pool doesn't smell like a public pool:
Thank you, so I need to purchase a legit tester and test myself. I appreciate it.

Hey J and welocme !!!
I have two little kids that may or may not be peeing in our pool
There’s 2 kinds of kids I always say…..

1) those who pee in the pool
2) Liar Liar pants on fire’s.

But like said above, it’s a drop in the proverbial bucket. Now, a public pool FULL of kids….. :puker:
I am somewhat starting out here
We got you now. Step one is figuring out a reliable test kit. The TF-100 from TFTESTKITS.net has been much cheaper lately. Either way, you also need a salt kit (k-1766) if you have a SWG pool. Take a minute when you have one and fill out your signature with specs and model #s so we know what you have. It helps us help you.

If you go with the TF-100, consider the XL option. There is a slight learning curve and you’ll be testing a lot more as a newb until it all clicks and you are at one with your pool. The XL gives you more to cover that extra use.

No matter which kit you buy, the smart stir device is the best $30 you can spend on your pool. Sure you can swirl and mix yourself, but why ? Press a button and watch it do everything for you. So so easy. 🙂

So that’s the kit basics. Step two is to start your journey here. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Read it, take some time to process and read it again. It’s an assault of info at first but all stupid easy stuff. Ask away at any time and we will happily guide you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
By now, you may feel a little overwhelmed. Don't be. Maintaining your pool properly is not, as they say, rocket science. It is a fair amount of time and trouble, but you will spend a lot less while having a better pool. Starting place is to find out what's in your pool now.

Go here:
If you have a salt water chlorine generator, you want the $165 kit. If you use liquid chlorine or (horrors) tablet chlorine, get the $142 kit.
or go here:
and get the Taylor K2006C...and also see the "often bought together" items and add the SpeedStir to your order as well as, if you have a salt pool, the K1766 test kit.

Either of these will give you the ability to know what's in your water. The pool school here will tell you what to do, if you have too little or too much of anything in the pool. Again, it may all be new to you, but it does not take long to get it figured out. You too can be a pool water expert, and all the while you'll spend less than you do for a weekly pool service AND be confident it is safe for your kids to swim, and you're not going to have algae. Your properly maintained pool will NEVER "smell like chlorine."

BTW, first chance, fill out your signature with your pool info. See mine as an example. It helps the experts here to know what you have when they're asked for advice.

Hey J and welocme !!!

There’s 2 kinds of kids I always say…..

1) those who pee in the pool
2) Liar Liar pants on fire’s.

But like said above, it’s a drop in the proverbial bucket. Now, a public pool FULL of kids….. :puker:

We got you now. Step one is figuring out a reliable test kit. The TF-100 from TFTESTKITS.net has been much cheaper lately. Either way, you also need a salt kit (k-1766) if you have a SWG pool. Take a minute when you have one and fill out your signature with specs and model #s so we know what you have. It helps us help you.

If you go with the TF-100, consider the XL option. There is a slight learning curve and you’ll be testing a lot more as a newb until it all clicks and you are at one with your pool. The XL gives you more to cover that extra use.

No matter which kit you buy, the smart stir device is the best $30 you can spend on your pool. Sure you can swirl and mix yourself, but why ? Press a button and watch it do everything for you. So so easy. 🙂

So that’s the kit basics. Step two is to start your journey here. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Read it, take some time to process and read it again. It’s an assault of info at first but all stupid easy stuff. Ask away at any time and we will happily guide you.
Thank you so much.

Reactions: Newdude
Testing and caring for your pool not only becomes fun, but you will spend so much less money
on chemicals too. Almost everything we use can be found in big box stores, supermarkets or
online. Don't fall for the "Free test/Now I Have to Buy Something" guilt trip at pool stores.
Avoid them, do your own testing and ask us anything (especially before adding chems until
you understand their effect on your water). We'll walk you through it all. Some very smart
and knowledgeable people here!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Testing and caring for your pool not only becomes fun, but you will spend so much less money
on chemicals too. Almost everything we use can be found in big box stores, supermarkets or
online. Don't fall for the "Free test/Now I Have to Buy Something" guilt trip at pool stores.
Avoid them, do your own testing and ask us anything (especially before adding chems until
you understand their effect on your water). We'll walk you through it all. Some very smart
and knowledgeable people here!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:
Thank you, spending $100 monthly now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.