Chlorine is low/pH high and white flakes - Saltwater

Jan 15, 2019
Morgan Hill
I know its most important to maintain the correct pH level before you can do anything else - mine has been between 7.8-8 which i know is high, so I have been adding acid to bring it down. The good thing is that it's coming down BUT the Chlorine has been very low (0.60). I am running a salt water chlorine generator at 75-80% of the time that the equipment is on. I tried to do a "super chlorinate" but did hear that can be tough on your equipment. I haven't noticed much uptick in the generation of chlorine. I picked up some liquid chlorine today but I won't add it until tomorrow given I put acid in the water 3 hours ago. Is this the right way to do it? If not, would love to hear recommendations.

Lastly, I have been noticing white flakes in the water - which I think are calcium flakes, what can I do resolve this?

SWG is good at maintaining chlorine levels. But since they generate a small amount of chlorine over a long period of time, you should use liquid chlorine to raise the chlorine level and only use the SWG to maintain level. Get some chlorine in the pool. How much? That depends on your CYA. The white flakes are calcium. They happen when you fail to maintain proper balance. Very high calcium or allowing the pH too high results in high CSI and calcium precipitates out of the water. With a SWG the flakes form in the cell and are flushed out into the pool each time it reverses polarity.

Last edited:
SWG is good at maintaining chlorine levels. But since they generate a small amount of chlorine over a long period of time, you should use liquid chlorine to raise the chlorine level and only use the SWG to maintain level. Get some chlorine in the pool. How much? That depends on your CYA. The white flakes are calcium. They happen when you fail to maintain proper balance. Very high calcium or allowing the pH too high results in high CSI and calcium precipitates out of the water. With a SWG the flakes form in the cell and are flushed out into the pool each time it reverses polarity.
This is very helpful - thank you! Will add chlorine right away.

As for the calcium flakes, should I expect them to disappear once the pool is balanced or this there something I can add to help expedite that process?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.