Bronze Supporter
Apr 15, 2020
Pageland SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a friend with an AGP who doesn't really know anything about it. Something with the electrical has been broken that he's just gotten repaired.

It's a murky green mess right now. It's a salt pool. I asked him about his chlorine generator, and told him to keep the pump on 24/7 and turn his chlorine generator up all the way, and I would come test his water and help him slam it.

He had no idea what I meant by chlorine generator. Lol

Idk exactly what I'm looking at. I believe this is it. This is the chlorine generator, right? Most of the information on it is flaking off and illegible. Anybody recognize it, so I can look up the manual and figure out how to operate it?

IMG_20200905_165959994.jpgIMG_20200905_170007266.jpg

It looks like the Intex salt water generator 3000 :) I would turn the SWG off and and only use liquid chlorine... once done with the SLAM turn the SWG back on.. Run the pump and sand filter 24/7 until done...

I did plan for us to slam it with LC, I just thought it would be a good idea to crank the CG up in the meantime. We don't have the chlorine on hand, and I'm afraid with the holiday weekend we won't be able to find enough.

I have 3 gal of 10% at home for my pool, but I doubt that's enough to even make a good start!

The LOW SALT light is on. You need a salt test kit like the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test or take the water to a pool store for salt testing. Raise the salt around 3600 ppm to get the Swg running.

The LOW SALT light is on. You need a salt test kit like the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test or take the water to a pool store for salt testing. Raise the salt around 3600 ppm to get the Swg running.

Ah thanks! I didn't think about how I was going to test for salt. They said they have test strips, I don't know if they test for salt or not. I'll order a salt test kit. In the meantime I can test for chlorine and we can proceed with a slam.

They are using test strips, "shock" from the store, and algaecide. I'm trying to steer them away from that. Geeze it's hard to convince people that's not right.

Check the ingredients in any algaecide they used or intend to use. They can have stuff you don’t want in your pool water like copper.

Algaecide may help prevent algae. It never helps once you have an algae outbreak.

What test kit do you have?

Do a complete set of tests before the SLAM process. High CYA or CH may be a reason to exchange water before the SLAM.

Reactions: mwemaxxowner
Went over and worked on it with him some today. I took my Warrior SE over and he's going to run it pretty steady. It's stirring a lot more junk up off the bottom than he thought he had in there. It's gathering a lot of sludge in the box every hour or so.

I tested his CYA to be 0, PH was high, at least 8.2, TA is 120, and FC was 1. I didn't test CH. Once things are cleaned up I will and use whatever that is and plug it into the CSI calculator and figure out what we need to do to maintain the right CSI to keep scale off the generator.

I added muriatic acid to bring the PH to about 7.2. I used LC to bring the FC level to 11. According to pool math our SLAM target for his 13,000 gallons is 10. I showed him how to use the test kit, and left it with him, as well as enough chlorine to probably at least get him through today.

I haven't added any CYA yet. Aside from the chlorine burning off faster while we slam, that's fine, right?

He added salt. He isn't concerned with getting a salt test kit 🤷🏼‍♂️. He just added two bags to get the low salt light to go off. His pool! Lol

I'm assuming if he gets a high salt light, he has to exchange water to bring it down?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you don’t have any cya the chlorine will be gone real quick- add 30 ppm worth & SLAM Process @12 ppm fc
while you’re slamming & the swg is off clean the cell w/ 50/50 vinegar & water. I use an icecream bucket & let it soak 30 min or so. Check in between the plates for scale. You can push it out carefully w/ a credit card.
if there’s too much salt yes-you must replace some water w/ fresh.
Explain to your friend that algecide doesn’t kill algae it just inhibits it’s growth & its mostly useless @ high fc levels. So basically a waste of $$.

I haven't added any CYA yet. Aside from the chlorine burning off faster while we slam, that's fine, right?

Not really. CYA buffers high chlorine levels.

FC of 11 with no CYA is harsh, will bleach pool liners, and is not safe to swim in.

Also, his SWG will not be able to keep up with chlorine loss without CYA.

The pool needs CYA 30 now and more when the SLAM Process is complete.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Not really. CYA buffers high chlorine levels.

FC of 11 with no CYA is harsh, will bleach pool liners, and is not safe to swim in.

Also, his SWG will not be able to keep up with chlorine loss without CYA.

The pool needs CYA 30 now and more when the SLAM Process is complete.
A pool is never safe to swim in at SLAM levels anyway, right? Until the murky mess is cleaned up, nobody would be swimming either way. I assumed pool math would offer an appropriate slam chlorine level based on the cya level we put in. After getting the algae cleaned up my plan was for us to get the cya up, chlorine down to what pool math recommends (looks like around 5 or 6 with cya 30).

I did know that the chlorine generator wouldn't keep up without CYA, but right now we're slamming with liquid chlorine. I don't think it can keep up during a slam either way.

As far as damaging equipment the liner, we definitely don't want to do that. I'll head over there in a little bit and we'll add some CYA.

A pool is safe to swim in with FC up to SLAM level for the CYA and you can see the bottom of the pool.

.After getting the algae cleaned up my plan was for us to get the cya up, chlorine down to what pool math recommends (looks like around 5 or 6 with cya 30).

That for treating the pool as a liquid chlorine pool or SWG pool?

If using the SWG for chlorine then you need at least CYA 60.

Refer to FC/CYA Levels

No, once it's cleared up he does plan to use the salt chlorine generator.

We've got 3 lbs of stabilizer in a sock being applied right now, and will boost the chlorine to 12 ppm once it's dissolved and shows in the test. When we're ready to turn it over to the generator we'll bring it to 60 ppm CYA.

We've got 3 lbs of stabilizer in a sock being applied right now, and will boost the chlorine to 12 ppm once it's dissolved and shows in the test.

You don’t need to wait for the stabilizer to show in a test. Have the stabilizer in the sock dissolving and get FC to 12.

This is from before we started. It actually looks worse now, because my robot started stirring all the stuff up off the bottom. Lol

We were checking Xena and emptying the cartridge, cleaning the filters each hour. He said it's starting to have less junk each time he checks it. I'm sure that's a good sign.

IMG_20200905_175543029.jpg

We're making progress, but slowly. He's not checking his chlorine very often (once a day at best) and keeps not heeding my recommendations. For instance after the first day he wasn't dosing chlorine any more at all because it has the salt generator, but I'd already told him we'll have to dose manually because it can't keep up, and we'll have to keep on until it's completely cleared up. But it was "looking better" he said. Haha

He's starting to get it though. Bumped the chlorine dosage back up to 12 about 5 this afternoon.
Screenshot_20200909-181842.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.