Chlorine Free Sun Shock Pool Purifier

That uses copper ions.
Yes, copper is a great algaecide. But it doesn't work fast enough to sanitize water for swimmers, which is why it is not approved as a pool sanitizer. You'd still need residual chlorine, which automatically keeps the algae at bay. I could see using that if you like metal stains on the pool walls and green-haired kids. See Alternative sanitizers and "chemical free" pools--The Truth!

That uses copper ions.
Yes, copper is a great algaecide. But it doesn't work fast enough to sanitize water for swimmers, which is why it is not approved as a pool sanitizer. You'd still need residual chlorine, which automatically keeps the algae at bay. I could see using that if you like metal stains on the pool walls and green-haired kids. See Alternative sanitizers and "chemical free" pools--The Truth!
I read how the product works. You're supposed to use it in addition to a small amount of chlorine. The entire point of the product is to reduce the amount of chlorine used.
Like I said just wondering if anyone has used this..

Reactions: bukzin
It's junk. Expensive junk.

If someone wants copper in their pool then they can just add cheap copper sulfate, you can get it at Home Depot. Except, copper will surely stain your pebble-tec finish so you probably don't want it in the pool. It is an especially difficult stain to remove, plenty of threads from people who have dealt with that hassle. Also copper only kills algae, it does nothing to sanitize the pool water.

And with that solar panel it is a pretty weak ionizer. So it's a bad way to introduce copper. And also copper is a bad thing to have in your pool water. So, like I said, expensive junk.

You won't find users here in all likelihood because of the reasons stated above. Prior users more likely, who have had issues and then came here for time-honored solutions based in science.

There is no reason to reduce chlorine usage below the correct level based on your CYA (stabilizer). FC/CYA Levels You may be familiar with public pools and that "chlorine" smell, which you associate with too much chlorine. That's not chlorine. It's the stuff that's formed after chlorine has done its job (CC's - combined chloramines), which have yet to be oxidized by the sun.

Do you have concerns about using a proper level of sanitizer? There is no proper lower level than in the chart linked above. Only dangerously low levels of sanitizer.

Reactions: CactusGirl
You won't find users here in all likelihood because of the reasons stated above. Prior users more likely, who have had issues and then came here for time-honored solutions based in science.

There is no reason to reduce chlorine usage below the correct level based on your CYA (stabilizer). FC/CYA Levels You may be familiar with public pools and that "chlorine" smell, which you associate with too much chlorine. That's not chlorine. It's the stuff that's formed after chlorine has done its job (CC's - combined chloramines), which have yet to be oxidized by the sun.

Do you have concerns about using a proper level of sanitizer? There is no proper lower level than in the chart linked above. Only dangerously low levels of sanitizer.
No. I have concerns about the inconveniences of using liquid chlorine. I was trying to find a service (like Amazon) that delivers liquid chlorine regularly. So I was searching websites to see who had what and ran into the above mention product during my search.
Going to the store and lugging cases of chlorine isn't convenient when it's 120°. Nor is dumping it in the pool daily or every other day. (I'm just now clearing algae so I'm not sure how much liquid chlorine we would even go through. Once it's clear I will be keeping a test log so I can calculate the average weekly sanitizer use.)
I absolutely refuse to use tri-chlor because of the CYA. And cal-hypo will just increase the CH, which is already high from the city water we used to fill the pool with. Eventually we will go to a SWG, but not this year.
I guess liquid chlorine from HD and Walmart is my only option. Dang! ???

I am going to guess in Phoenix, during June through much of September, your 28000 gallon pool will need about one gallon of 10% liquid chlorine each day. If you have your CYA at 50-60 ppm. More if you keep the CYA less than that.

You should be able to get into a mode of adding a gallon each day without testing. Test twice or three times a week, once you confirm that FC consumption.

I do believe some pool stores in the Phoenix area market bulk chlorine in reusable containers. Check that out. One I believe is called HASA.

During the end of my jug haulin' I got my bleach from a local cleaning supply company. 5 gallons of high % bleach and fresh as well. That would last 10-14 days and I got a bucket out of it! Might be worth it to call around.

ETA after Marty's reply, a refillable option really would be the best, don't have that option around here.

I am going to guess in Phoenix, during June through much of September, your 28000 gallon pool will need about one gallon of 10% liquid chlorine each day. If you have your CYA at 50-60 ppm. More if you keep the CYA less than that.

You should be able to get into a mode of adding a gallon each day without testing. Test twice or three times a week, once you confirm that FC consumption.

I do believe some pool stores in the Phoenix area market bulk chlorine in reusable containers. Check that out. One I believe is called HASA.
I checked out HASA yesterday. It's about 10 miles away. However, their website doesn't list a facility in AZ. The info I got was from MapQuest, via Google.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get my MA and 12.5% chlorine in refillable gallon jugs from a little local pool store. They don't advertise specific supplies they carry on their website. They sell to a lot of the local pool cleaners. You might try calling some local pool stores in your area and see what they got. You may find a place that carries it in 2.5 gallons containers.

Last edited:
I buy the 2 pack from Walmart, you could stock up on those, and just store them indoors too. I keep several cases in my laundry room where it stays cool.
In July & August, I use a quart a day of 10%, so figure for your 28k gallon pool, you’ll use around 3 quarts a day in the summer. :cheers:

I buy the 2 pack from Walmart, you could stock up on those, and just store them indoors too. I keep several cases in my laundry room where it stays cool.
In July & August, I use a quart a day of 10%, so figure for your 28k gallon pool, you’ll use around 3 quarts a day in the summer. :cheers:
I keep all the pool stuff in our laundry room too. Did you know that Walmart's prices vary by location? Unfortunately, the nearest one to me is technically Scottsdale so the prices are high. When you buy in "bulk" at HD, the price came out to $2.something.

I read how the product works. You're supposed to use it in addition to a small amount of chlorine. The entire point of the product is to reduce the amount of chlorine used.
Like I said just wondering if anyone has used this..

I had a similar one floating in my pool for about a month. I didn't notice much difference in water clarity. As the copper ionizes, it forms a buildup on the copper block, and every so often you have to take it out of the pool and scrub it with a metal brush to remove the buildup. When I took mine out of the pool to scrub it, some of the water from it dripped onto my decking and stained it green. (Also, my hands, though that goes away eventually.) It wasn't in my pool long enough to do that to my pool (that I've seen yet) but I'd imagine it would eventually. I returned mine - especially since I got 20+ gallons of chlorine for the same price. I'd agree with everyone else not to use it.

I plan to make about a trip a month to HD/Lowes for chlorine, since the chlorine shouldn't have a problem keeping (especially indoors) for that long. It is kind of a pain. I'm waffling on whether it's enough of a pain to get a salt water generator and just make my own chlorine on-site.

I had a similar one floating in my pool for about a month. I didn't notice much difference in water clarity. As the copper ionizes, it forms a buildup on the copper block, and every so often you have to take it out of the pool and scrub it with a metal brush to remove the buildup. When I took mine out of the pool to scrub it, some of the water from it dripped onto my decking and stained it green. (Also, my hands, though that goes away eventually.) It wasn't in my pool long enough to do that to my pool (that I've seen yet) but I'd imagine it would eventually. I returned mine - especially since I got 20+ gallons of chlorine for the same price. I'd agree with everyone else not to use it.

I plan to make about a trip a month to HD/Lowes for chlorine, since the chlorine shouldn't have a problem keeping (especially indoors) for that long. It is kind of a pain. I'm waffling on whether it's enough of a pain to get a salt water generator and just make my own chlorine on-site.
It's a total pain!!! I searched everywhere for an auto service to deliver chlorine. I'm really sad Amazon doesn't have that! If someone made one they would make a ton of money from it. So far the cheapest I found was HD, they drop the price a bit if you buy four or more.

Reactions: johntafshar
It's a total pain!!! I searched everywhere for an auto service to deliver chlorine. I'm really sad Amazon doesn't have that! If someone made one they would make a ton of money from it. So far the cheapest I found was HD, they drop the price a bit if you buy four or more.

Right? There are food, shaving, clothing, spicy food, random geek items, etc subscription services out there. I'm also surprised there isn't a chlorine (or general pool chemical) delivery service. My only guess is that shipping bleach isn't cost effective or safe.

HD offer a 3pk of 10% liquid for $8.98 wyb 4 or more ($2.99/gallon) online only. In store $6.17 wyb 4 ($3.08/gallon). And Walmart is $6.44 ($3.09/gallon). I'm going to call the place Arizona dude mentioned to see what their price is.

A&M Corson’s is good but you’re right, the closest one to you if you’re in north Phoenix would be Old Town.

Some Fry’s Marketplace stores have 10% chlorine in 2 gallon packs for $5.99 with a Fry’s Rewards card. Slightly cheaper per gallon than HD or Lowe’s, and maybe you can have Fry’s do curbside! ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.