Chlorine Date Code Decoder/Easy Way to Measure Strength.

Is there any way to use a hydrometer to measure bleach? Forgive my ignorance on whether new vs. old bleach (at various percentages) would show a difference in specific gravity. It just seems with all of the dilution this adds too much room for error.

Are all Clorox pool products date codes as same as bleach bottle to see when it was made? I was at Lowe’s and had few items in the cart. Remember to check dates. I put them back on the shelf. One had 15 and others had 16 as the first number. So would that be 2016 and 2015?

Are all Clorox pool products date codes as same as bleach bottle to see when it was made? I was at Lowe’s and had few items in the cart. Remember to check dates. I put them back on the shelf. One had 15 and others had 16 as the first number. So would that be 2016 and 2015?

Yes. Pricey salt water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is why I buy all my bleach from Wal-Mart. Their in-house brand ("Great Value") is $1.77/gallon for brand-new 6% bleach. Whenever I need some I'd estimate that 90% of the bottles on the shelf were made within the past week or two. It's always the cheapest and freshest stuff I can find.

When I search Greensboro Walmarts, I see $2.94 for the Great Value 6% Bleach. It's also $2.94 in my area. Which Walmart has it for $1.77?

A better deal at Walmart (for me) is "Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid" at $3.64 per gallon (128 oz, not 121 oz). The 2 pack cartons are $3.22 per gallon. It's 10% strength. Not all Walmarts carry it but some do. Best deal around here.

Reactions: splashpad
When I search Greensboro Walmarts, I see $2.94 for the Great Value 6% Bleach. It's also $2.94 in my area. Which Walmart has it for $1.77?

A better deal at Walmart (for me) is "Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid" at $3.64 per gallon (128 oz, not 121 oz). The 2 pack cartons are $3.22 per gallon. It's 10% strength. Not all Walmarts carry it but some do. Best deal around here.
Agreed, the same for us here. And our Walmart stores it inside.

Watch the dates on those 2 packs from Walmart. All 37 Walmart’s around me :rolleyes: carry those, and I’ve seen them dragging out old stock from last year. (They put away the pool dept to make room for the Christmas stuff, then drag it back out again)
I’ve been buying the single bottles till they get new batches of the 2 pack in.

I really appreciate the info in this thread. I did a drain and refill last weekend, and had been having a hard time getting the FC level up. Turns out the 2-pack of liquid chlorine from Walmart that I bought last week had a date code showing July 2018, so had been stored through the rest of last summer in what I am assuming is a warm warehouse being that I am in AZ! The single bottles had a date code of late December 2018, so still 3 months old, but 3 months of cooler weather so hopefully I am good. Again, thanks for the education here!

AZ, they put away last years remaining stock to make room for Xmas stuff, then they drag it back out for pool season. :roll:
The single bottles you got are the same date code I’ve been using, and they’re fine. I did find a 2 pack of 10% at Home Depot that was made late Jan, so check your local HD to see if they have any. :cheers:

Reactions: azxd09
Does anyone know the date code for Vertex Liquid Chlorine Shock?

I just got a call back from a very nice rep from Vertex. The production date codes read as follows:

First character, ALPHA, corresponds to the Month: A=1=January, B=2=February, C=3=March, etc.
Second two characters, NUMERIC, is the day of said month. 01-31.
Fourth character, NUMERIC, last digit of Year.

Characters 5-7 are not important unless you have an issue. It is simply the ID of the tank in which it was produced.
Character 8 is the manufacturing plant. It should always be "D" since Dupo, IL is the only plant they use to manufacture the product.

Example: "F1900004D" Would be June19, 2020.

Reactions: Rhetty_Set_Gone

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.