Chlorine availability during the winter?

atxjmy512

Mar 19, 2022
Austin, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I live in a place where we keep our pools open year round. I think i understand how to balance a pool during winter. However - my go to place for liquid chlorine (Walmart) just put Xmas decorations in the outdoor section , is sold out of LC and put all their pool remaining pool toys, brushes, etc on clearance. This tells me I won't see LC there until next season... Sooo... where do people in southern climates get LC during the winter? Do I just switch to standard bleach during cooler months?

Lowes, Home Depot and some local pool stores (HASA suppliers)

I have not had an issue for the last 8 years.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks. I just happened to see on Lowes.com that the closest store has 200+ bottles on hand. I try to find bottles that have been stored inside, but not always possible.

I live in a place where we keep our pools open year round. I think i understand how to balance a pool during winter. However - my go to place for liquid chlorine (Walmart) just put Xmas decorations in the outdoor section , is sold out of LC and put all their pool remaining pool toys, brushes, etc on clearance. This tells me I won't see LC there until next season... Sooo... where do people in southern climates get LC during the winter? Do I just switch to standard bleach during cooler months?
Same climate here. Chlorine consumption goes way down in the winter. Not that it's advised, but I don't even test my levels between November and March since algae is unlikely to grow when it's so cold and we're obviously not swimming anymore. I just add a half gallon or so every weekend and call it good.

To your question, if you want fresher stock that is only stored inside, pool stores are usually your best bet and will have LC year round.

Same climate here. Chlorine consumption goes way down in the winter. Not that it's advised, but I don't even test my levels between November and March since algae is unlikely to grow when it's so cold and we're obviously not swimming anymore. I just add a half gallon or so every weekend and call it good.

ayour question, if you want fresher stock that is only stored inside, pool stores are usually your best bet and will have LC year round

That's good to know on the consumption. I'll keep my eye out at Lowe's / HD. Pool store is always an option too.

I just got robbed at Leslie's for 8 gallons of 10% LC for 81 bucks after tax. I was used to purchasing at Menards at 3.99/bottle for 12% but with the seasonal shift here they stopped stocking the pool shock and instead have Halloween and Christmas decorations out.

Hopefully this gets me by for a couple weeks while I wait to get the pool closed down.

I just got robbed at Leslie's for 8 gallons of 10% LC for 81 bucks after tax. I was used to purchasing at Menards at 3.99/bottle for 12% but with the seasonal shift here they stopped stocking the pool shock and instead have Halloween and Christmas decorations out.

Hopefully this gets me by for a couple weeks while I wait to get the pool closed down.
I have quite a bit left but you might consider joining Walmart+. They will ship 10% at 4.97 per bottle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.