Chlorinator vs other sanitation systems?

May 22, 2017
Midland Michigan
Hi All,

I am having trouble with my chlorinator (control panel issues). We got a new chlorinator about 3 years ago and already having issues and are wondering now, do we spend another $500-600 to fix the panel or simply change the entire santitation system to something that is more cost effective. I feel like I struggle every year getting the water right and I'm not sure what is the best way to go considering cost, maintenance, effectiveness, etc. Last year I bought the higher end test kit that was recommended here and I finally maintained the pool myslef with no pool supply stores filling me up with tons of chemicals I don't need! So at least that's a step ahead and thanks to this site!
I appreciate your help!

Thanks!
Maria

Maria,

Tell us more about the salt system you now have... What is the brand and how big is the cell???

I have three saltwater pools and can't imagine having any easier and trouble-free type of sanitization...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Well that is a bummer that you are having trouble with your SWCG. If you added what model/size it was and any more information on the issues I am sure there are folks here that can assist.

Your other choice to chlorinate is to use liquid chlorine. You can add it manually DAILY, or set up a Stenner pump system with chlorine tank that you add LC to every few days or so.

Let us know if you would like assistance with your SWCG.

Take care.

Maria:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Both Pentair and Hayward make dummy pipes in where you can remove the salt cell, at least for the season or however it takes you to figure out the issue with the control board. Your next step would be liquid chlorine, done on a daily basis. If you want to go this route, add the chlorine, early morning or late evening when the sun is not beating down on the pool or you will loose most of it to the sun.

In addition, you can keep your CYA levels lower and chlorine levels lower. The calculator will guide you through adding 1.5 - 2 ppm daily to keep your pool clear. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.