Cheri from Chandler, AZ needs new pump and filter!

CheriH

Jul 25, 2020
Chandler, AZ
Hi There! I have visited this site awhile ago and really appreciated the knowledge and information on it. So.....I'm BACK! This time to glean your wealth of wisdom on the rather urgent project I am embarking upon.
Have lived in my home over 22 years, the second owners. The first owners installed a 20,800 gal pool in 1987. The equipment installed has done a phenomenal job keeping the pool clean, clear and blue and was running well until old age kicked in. The 3/4 hp pump died 2 days ago and the DE Filter is no longer made so no parts. That said I am doing my homework on Filter Systems and was hoping to gain insight from you all. I am going to stay with a DE Filter (36 sq ft). The company I am working with (Perry's Pool Pump - Phx, AZ) suggested a Waterway Crystal Water Filter system. Is anyone familiar with Waterway and/or have other suggestions?
For the pump, I decided to stay with a 3/4 hp, rebuilt AO Smith. Only because that size pump worked well and the cost savings to go to a variable speed pump only saves me approx 98.00 a year.
Please.....glean on me!!
Cheri

Hello Cheri and welcome! :wave: Waterway is just one of the many large brand names in the pool industry. They, like Hayward, Pentair, Jandy, etc make a variety of items. Everyone has their preference, just like Chevy, Ford, or Toyota. I have a Waterway pump while my cartridge filter is Hayward. As long as you're happy with the selection, cost, and quality, that's all that matters. The pump size/power should be fine as it worked well before. I would make sure that it is a 2-speed though so you can run it on low as much as possible. Other than that, let us know if you have any other questions. Have a nice weekend. :swim:

Reactions: CheriH
I have been very pleased with the Pentair DE filter. Mine is 60 sq ft for a 14,000 gal pool. The first one lasted 16 years and I just replaced it with updated model. You may want to reconsider use of VS pump. You may need to do some replumbing with a new filter and may as well bite the bullet now to get the better pump for the longer term and have that plumbed in properly to work with new filter. Just my thoughts. If you were just changing out the pump it may make sense to stay with what you have but since you changing filter as well. You didn't mention anything about SWG so assume you manually chlorinate the pool. Is a SWG also a consideration for the future?

Hello Cheri and welcome! :wave: Waterway is just one of the many large brand names in the pool industry. They, like Hayward, Pentair, Jandy, etc make a variety of items. Everyone has their preference, just like Chevy, Ford, or Toyota. I have a Waterway pump while my cartridge filter is Hayward. As long as you're happy with the selection, cost, and quality, that's all that matters. The pump size/power should be fine as it worked well before. I would make sure that it is a 2-speed though so you can run it on low as much as possible. Other than that, let us know if you have any other questions. Have a nice weekend. :swim:
Outstanding! Thank you so much!

Hi! OK, I do have another question. If, in the future, if I have to increase the size hp for the pump, I want to make sure the filter I purchase now can accommodate the larger pump, without having to do any re plumbing. In my research, I am supposed to calculate the Feet of Head for my pool. How in the world do I measure the lengths of All the pipes if I have no diagram, and the pipes are buried?

How in the world do I measure the lengths of All the pipes if I have no diagram, and the pipes are buried?
I wouldn't make it that complicated. Just basic info. Most pool plumbing is 1.5" or 2" in size. The distance could make a difference if the equipment pad is exceptionally far from the pool, or if there is a significant elevation change from pad to pool. Otherwise, as long as you get a fairly large filter, it should be able to handle a stronger pump should you chose to go 1 - 2 HP. If you really get serious about a specific model filter or pump, let usu know and we can get some experts to review your choices.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.