Chem Questions

Herbaldew

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2018
Milton DE
Hi all,

I had a 4k gallon ring-top Intex for the past two years. Year one went well (apparently by sheer luck) - last year started out bad. I didn't really trust the test results and advice given at the pool store, so bought a HTH 4 way test kit and studied up on pool chemistry on the internet and finally got it in good shape using borax, baking soda, bleach, CYA and muriatic acid. I still have that test kit, but bought Taylor DPD testing powder and reagent, a SpeedStir, a SampleSizer and a digital Ph meter for ease and accuracy. I ended the summer with a clean pool and the confidence to purchase the setup in my sig. It was installed near the end of April.

The installer did nothing as far as setting up the water, I did that myself. It has remained crystal clear. I do have a couple questions.....

I really had not paid any attention to Borate or CH . My Borate is 7 and my CH is 24 .

I read that Borate is optional and really don't think I am interested in what it does so I can just forget about it, correct or not?

With a vinyl lined pool and being happy with the feel of my water, I can forget about CH as well, correct or not?

Thanks for any input!

Welcome to the forum!
Great job on applying some knowledge on water chemistry. You do not need to be concerned with Borates (unless you add them) or CH (unless it gets above 400ppm). How did you get test results for those?
You might consider reviewing Test Kits Compared. We really recommend you get a FAS-DPD test kit for more accurate FC/CC testing.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thanks for the welcome!

My post should say "HTH 6 way" not "HTH 4 way" - it includes hardness testing. That said, it registers not present for hardness.

I do use FAS-DPD for FC/CC testing - even have the SpeedStir and SampleSizer. I test FC daily but did other tests as well yesterday. I got a reading of 90 on my CYA much to my surprise as I had tested it before adding the last batch of CYA. I must have really screwed that test up as I added exactly enough to supposedly bring it up to 50. I read directions here on testing CYA and came up with 75 the second time around. My journey for today had me going right by the pool store so I took a sample in to see what they came up with. They said the CYA was 67, so I will live with that as I think it will gradually lower as I pump rain water out (I use bleach exclusively for sanitizer). The pool store is also where the borate and CH figures came from. They wanted to sell me enough supplies to add 38# of Poolife Calcium Plus and 23# of Endure to my pool. Sorry pool store, this post indicates no sale :)

Trust your own testing.
Put the test kits you have in your signature.
And quit going to pool stores for testing your water chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.