Check Salt & Inspect Cell Lights Flashing- Control Panel or Cell ??

mpk1970

May 14, 2013
For a couple months, my salt reading on the CP has been significantly lower than the reading at the pool store.
Example, last week reading at Store was 3500ppm, on Hayward Blue Essence shows 2600

The 2600 reading causes the check salt and Inspect Cell Lights to flash
Its still generating chlorine but I guess at lower rate

I've had the unit 3 years

Last week, I ran the system off for about 18 hrs, then auto for 24 hrs, The levels did come up to 2800 which gave me a couple days of error free lights (check salt & inspect cell)

Now, the last couple days, the salt on CP is back down to 2600ppm, and the lights are flashing.

I took salt cell to local pool store, ran a test, everything checked out OK? I wonder if it was the control panel?....but when I do all the tests to measure the salt levels
(Off>Auto>press diag button 5 times>system starts measure ppm>Auto>SuperChlorinate) it works fine, no issues??

Is this salt cell or CP?

Did the new cell fix the problem?

Having the same issue with my Saniclear system. Low salt reading on the CP, system is 3 yrs old, cell cleaned last season. Pool water tested at at store reads 3400 PPM while CP reads 2700 PPM with Check Salt and Diagnostic lights flashing.

Re: Check Salt & Inspect Cell Lights Flashing- Control Panel or Cell ??

Did the new cell fix the problem?

Having the same issue with my Saniclear system. Low salt reading on the CP, system is 3 yrs old, cell cleaned last season. Pool water tested at at store reads 3400 PPM while CP reads 2700 PPM with Check Salt and Diagnostic lights flashing.

I get my new cell today.

Ill let you know asap.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you recently changed to a variable speed pump?

Ive always had a variable...

Does this cause some disturbance?

Yeah, do a proper salinity test. I ended up overshooting my salt because my SWG rang low salt, but I find it takes quite some time for the SWG to register even close to the true salinity level. Are you still filtering for multiple hours per day?

Great news!!!,

Got my new salt cell today from
https://4saltpools.com/collections/hayward-aqua-rite-replacement-cells/products/platinum-edition-replacement-salt-cell-for-hayward-t-cell-15-40-000-gallons-5-year-warranty

I had Hayward T5 but upgraded to T15 40k galloon cell

Installed it, did the test of

Off> auto> wait for click on panel (like 5-10 seconds)> pushed diag button 5 times> waited for salt levels to stabilize, started at 5100ppm settled at 4000ppm> auto> super chlorinate> auto

Everything working with salt level at 4000 ppm

Put this bigger cell at 40%

No check salt or inspect cell lights

Also, the salt a little high at 4000 pm vs pool store at 3500ppm
But ill see if it levels out.

So the problem was a dying salt cell not the control board.
The pool store also checked the cell running their own tests and everything showed it was working.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Check Salt & Inspect Cell Lights Flashing- Control Panel or Cell ??

A neighbor got the same one. 5 year warranty and $269, how do you go wrong?

I hope you got a Taylor K-1766 also.

Well kind of a catch when I see the terms

If it fails Years 1 they give you 100%

Year 2 they cover 70% of cost

Year 3 50%
Year 4&5 - 30%

- - - Updated - - -

Did you change the cell size in the box?

If not, the salinity won't be accurate.

What model is the power box?

If it's aquatrol, you can't change the cell size.

Yes I changed on the Control Panel

UPDATE:

I purchased a cell on 6/6/18--- It failed this week just noticed today 12/19/19
Essentially, 18 mos with no issues.

However, this past weekend I had all new electrical box put into the interior of the house-- ironically its about the same timing. All power was turned off for about 8 hours
Somehow, this must have caused the issue. Not sure how.

Anyhow, I filed a claim. According to the warranty, I should only have to pay 30% of the cost of a new one.

Please let us know if company honors it's warranty and at the pro-ration they advertised. And if you have to jump thru any hoops.....unlikely the new electrical box had any bearing on the salt cell failing...it was probably just a coincidence.

1. I Contacted the company (email & phone)--- 2 days no response

2. I ordered a new one from company to speed up the process---I hope they will then refund me 70% of the $269.00 cost for new one since warranty after 1 year states you only have to pay 30% of the cost for NEW

3. See pics of the burned Salt cell plug & control panel outlet -- going to see if I can have the CP outlet replaced rather than get an entire new CP

4. Wonder what caused this "burn" out ??cellWire.jpg

Attachments

• controlPanel.jpg
    controlPanel.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Ok well I decided to go with a brand new SWG = I bought the CircuPool Edge 40 unit, $819 on sale

I went this route because repairing a 7 year old Hayward Blue Essence Control Panel would be $200+ (if that even fixes the problem) + the new salt Cell $269 so I'm basically at $500
Rather than go thru all that I just purchased a new unit for $300 more

I see you ordered your original cell from 4saltpools.com . Unfortunately, based upon experience you will likely never receive a phone call back from them and if you do, I'll bet with the Platinum Edition cell (which is really a CompuPool cell) they will tell you to pursue the warranty with CompuPool in Australia. Buying another cell from them is worthless IMO and it looks like you came to your senses by just ordering a new system.

Again, keep us abreast of your warranty claim and what hoops you have to jump thru.

Reactions: mpk1970

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.