Changing ladder to accommodate new deck

Lacey

Jul 2, 2016
Lincoln, Nebraska
We just installed a deck around half of our above ground pool. The deck tucks under the top railing. Is there a way to alter our current steps / ladder to now work on the deck without buying a new setup or parts? The steps go inside the pool with a platform going over the top railing and removable ladder on the outside. Before we had a deck the only thing holding the steps in place was weights. On the outside of the pool, there are 2 support bars that sit on the ground. My husband is thinking we just cut those down and have them sit on top of the deck. Perhaps screw them down, if needed, but we’d rather not put holes in the new deck if not necessary. I have attached a picture of the steps we have. Any thoughts on why this wouldn’t work? Has anyone altered their steps to accommodate a deck? Pictures would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6879.jpeg
    IMG_6879.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 3
The "correct" way to do that is to get the parts the covert those from a over the rail to a deck mount.

Here is an example

You will have to find one that fits your particular stairs. Calling the Pool Wharehouse is a good start, they can be very helpful in hunting down the right parts.

Or you may have to build a small step up to the top rail, take the legs off, and attach the ladder to that step.

This is what I did with mine, because I did not want to screw them into the deck, since I remove them in the winter. They just clip into those notches

188814-7ffec3598c5bd9bf6192288ca6355307.jpg

Last edited:
Looks possible according to this review in which they detail how they did it

Review on Amazon: Excellent Value and Much Sturdier than Expected Check out this Amazon review of Main Access Smart Step System for 48 to 54 Inch Above Ground Pools, Heavy Duty Four Step Ladder A-Frame - Taupe

IMG_9662.png

The product page says you can use it with or without a deck - I assume they mean the steps only without the handrail and top part if using with a deck as the ladder & steps are two different parts & the top step is where they attach. The manual doesn’t elaborate on deck installation method

IMG_9659.jpeg
IMG_9660.jpegIMG_9661.jpeg

Reactions: Lacey and Newdude