Jul 12, 2021
Longview, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Is anyone familiar with the certification courses for pool cleaneing
Businesses? In Texas you are required to be certified but I’m just not sure what organization is actually accepted

Is anyone familiar with the certification courses for pool cleaneing
Businesses? In Texas you are required to be certified but I’m just not sure what organization is actually accepted
I think the smartest course of action is to contact the folks below, they will help you. Most licensing testing is done through the state in Texas.

The laws of texas have changed over the last 10 years with respect to pools and pool maintenance.

The official CPO training course used to be administered by the APSP but they merged with NSPF to for the PHTA … sorry, lots of “four letter words” …

Anyway, the official info is here -

You usually have to buy the latest CPO manual and then take the course. After that you can take their test and you get your CPO certification. There may be annual maintenance costs and continuing education you have to do to maintain the certification. Best to check with them first.

Reactions: Mdragger88
It isn't clear what the OP is asking.

If he wants to start a pool cleaning service to clean pools (brush/skim), there is no licensing beyond texas business establishment requirements for the state.
If he additionally wants to maintain chemistry in PRIVATE pools, there are (seemingly) no additional requirements.
If he additionally wants to maintain pool equipment that is powered, he needs to obtain a Residential Appliance Installer License (RAIL). That is done through the state website I provided. The RAIL will allow you to:
  • Install, uninstall, or replace pool-related electrical devices including underwater lights, ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI), pumps, motors, heaters, automation systems, and related equipment on the “load-side” of the control-center while maintaining National Electrical Code compliance. However, if the system requires a new or upgraded “line-circuit,” only a licensed electrical contractor with a designated master electrician may offer to perform that work.
  • Install or add pool-related electrical devices to an existing pool that do not require an increase in amperage or access to a main breaker panel. For example, a RAIL holder may install salt systems, a time clock or similar automation equipment, a variable speed motor, or ultraviolet or ozone equipment.
  • Install, uninstall, or replace pool-related electrical devices that use direct or alternating current.
If he wants to maintain commercial pools, the state of Texas requires that all commercial pools and aquatic facilities have a CPO certified operator onsite or a CPO certified pool service technician who oversees the management of the facility to ensure that all codes, regulations, and safety protocols are being monitored and adhered to.

All of the following sites require CPO compliance
  • Hotels and Motels
  • Schools and Universities
  • City Pools
  • Rec Centers
  • HOAs and Community Pools
  • Any Facility With A Swimming Pool Onsite That Isn't In A Person's Backyard

Last edited:
It isn't clear what the OP is asking.

If he wants to start a pool cleaning service to clean pools (brush/skim), there is no licensing beyond texas business establishment requirements for the state.
If he additionally wants to maintain chemistry in PRIVATE pools,
Thanks for the detailed response. My question was coming from the aspect of brush, skim, maintain chemicals in private pools. I couldn’t find a straight answer that I was confident in anywhere online. It seemed the maintaining chemicals part required the certification. But it sounds like that’s only for commercial pools.
So, in theory all you need is a masters degree in TFT methods and you would feel confident

It seemed the maintaining chemicals part required the certification
I couldn't find this type of information...can you share where you found the "seeming to require certification" information.

The harder part is that you will be competing with pool maintenance companies that have the RAIL that can also service powered equipment, and have equipment sales (full service pool companies).

As always, you should not trust us for legal advice. Please reach out to the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation to confirm.

It blows my mind when I know people paying $260/mo for “pool service” which basically only means weekly brushing and chemical maintenance. I often think people who don’t maintain their own pool don’t realize how little that person is doing for that big price. A properly maintained pool, with SWG, is low cost. I literally had a woman telling me “I know the salt and chlorine are expensive so the price is worth it”
Meanwhile her pool has slimy walls and algae

Reactions: Newdude
Just be careful and think it through. The TFP Method of pool care doesn’t really work as a pool service business model. It might work as a boutique business model where you service a very select few high end pools and charge outrageous prices to the “rich and famous” but as a stand-alone regular pool service … it will fail. Regular pool services need VOLUME to operate profitably. You need lots and lots of customers and you need to spend as little time as possible at each pool and you can’t waste time and money testing every single pool. The TFP method doesn’t work like that. It’s quite the opposite. There have been others that have tried to run a pool business using TFP and it just doesn’t work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Around here the service charge is “monthly” and it’s usually around $300/month. But that only gets you, on average, 2 visits per month (1 per month in the “winter” and 3 per month in the hot season). That’s usually just a quick scrub, equipment check, chlorine/pH check (throw some pucks and soda ash into the pool) and then run off to the next job. Sadly, people around here think that is pool care.

My neighbor pays that and she just complained that her kids (both teenagers) didn’t use the pool once this last season. So she’s paying $3,600 per year to maintain a giant pond in her backyard that the ducks occasionally use. Sad.

I couldn't find this type of information...can you share where you found the "seeming to require certification" information.
Not on here. I was doing various Google searches on requirements and couldn’t get a straight answer on if being certified was or was not required and a lot of the info I saw would say Texas is a state that requires it but then other pages would say it’s only for commercial pools. It was confusing. I appreciate the information. I’ll start with Texas Dept of Lic

Around here the service charge is “monthly” and it’s usually around $300/month. But that only gets you, on average, 2 visits per month (1 per month in the “winter” and 3 per month in the hot season). That’s usually just a quick scrub, equipment check, chlorine/pH check (throw some pucks and soda ash into the pool) and then run off to the next job. Sadly, people around here think that is pool care.

My neighbor pays that and she just complained that her kids (both teenagers) didn’t use the pool once this last season. So she’s paying $3,600 per year to maintain a giant pond in her backyard that the ducks occasionally use. Sad.
These stories are the exact thing that have me thinking there’s a side job opportunity here. I can name 5 people near me that overpay for brushing, skimming, and chemical maintenance

I think it’s just people who don’t know or they couldn’t be bothered with the work, no matter how little.
I think it's more nuanced than that, it's also how people value their time. If you have a well paid job and are a busy person then paying someone else for that service has value. Same principle with house cleaning and yard work etc. As long as the service and rates are acceptable then everyone is satisfied.

These stories are the exact thing that have me thinking there’s a side job opportunity here. I can name 5 people near me that overpay for brushing, skimming, and chemical maintenance

But the problem will be that they DON’T believe they are overpaying. In fact, you may find that their customer loyalty outweighs logic and facts. When people pay for something, there’s a psychological effect called “choice-supportive bias” (also called post-purchase rationalization). They believe that they are buying the very best possible service or product and that they have made a “good choice”. You telling them that they are getting “ripped off” doesn’t entice them to switch, in fact, it does the exact opposite - they are confronted with the possibility of having made a mistake and they will engage in rationalizations to not feel “stupid”. They will even go so far as to question your abilities & knowledge as a way of pushing back and they will even go so far as to ascribe bad motives towards your outreach - “your a former disgruntled employee looking to get even” or “your the real charlatan here trying to pull a fast one on them” etc, etc.

This is why TFP is never a sellable proposition - you can’t overcome people’s inherent biases with words. Like an alcoholic, they have to hit rock-bottom before they will accept change.

Go ahead and start a side job if you want. But just do it knowing that you’re going to be operating at a loss for a while. Pool service is a lot more work than people think and all it will take is one irate customer calling you nonstop to fix what is, in reality, a minor issue to make you reconsider the whole gig.

Reactions: Newdude
But the problem will be that they DON’T believe they are overpaying. In fact, you may find that their customer loyalty outweighs logic and facts. When people pay for something, there’s a psychological effect called “choice-supportive bias” (also called post-purchase rationalization). They believe that they are buying the very best possible service or product and that they have made a “good choice”. You telling them that they are getting “ripped off” doesn’t entice them to switch, in fact, it does the exact opposite - they are confronted with the possibility of having made a mistake and they will engage in rationalizations to not feel “stupid”. They will even go so far as to question your abilities & knowledge as a way of pushing back and they will even go so far as to ascribe bad motives towards your outreach - “your a former disgruntled employee looking to get even” or “your the real charlatan here trying to pull a fast one on them” etc, etc.

This is why TFP is never a sellable proposition - you can’t overcome people’s inherent biases with words. Like an alcoholic, they have to hit rock-bottom before they will accept change.

Go ahead and start a side job if you want. But just do it knowing that you’re going to be operating at a loss for a while. Pool service is a lot more work than people think and all it will take is one irate customer calling you nonstop to fix what is, in reality, a minor issue to make you reconsider the whole gig.
I completely agree with you. This idea is one of 20 that roll through my head daily. But you did just describe the friend who got me thinking this. She pays $260/mo. I was at her house for a party over the summer and her pool was as slimy as I’ve ever felt a pool finish be. The Polaris was stained to the point you’d think it came from the factory a greenish brown. But, she uses the pool builder who built her pool (and mine) for her cleaning service and they have the big name behind them in town and she feels confident in them because they are the builder etc. meanwhile it’s a 19 yr old kid working His summer job that comes to do the cleaning. And she honesty thought that she was getting value for that price because the chemicals (salt & chlorine) are expensive. It just blows my mind

CPOs are only for commercial pools in TX. The property has to have someone one staff that has passed a CPO class but often do not. The person servicing the pool does not need to be certified. Just the person over seeing that service like the owner of the company. The CPO course is a weekend course with an open book test at the end about $250. To get a RAIL you just need to buy the book and study, then take the test. It's an open book test, I think it's a 2 or 3hr testing time. You can not take the RAIL test or CPO test without the book. There is no certifications for servicing residential pools. Join your local Ipssa chapter $70. The benefits are great.

Reactions: 6XSBChamps
I’m pretty sure that you need a PhD in Pool Service Technology from a 4 year accredited university as well as a license to do pool service.

Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what my pool service guy said to justify the prices that I pay him for service.

In fact, he sent me a copy of his official license when I asked for it.

1670121903436.png

Different jurisdictions have different rules and regulations for service providers based on exactly what you do and the size of projects.

You might be required to have a trade license or certification as well as a contractor’s license, business license, tax certificate, insurance, bond etc.

You have to know the rules and regulations of your jurisdiction based on the scale and scope of work you want to do.

D-35 - Pool and Spa Maintenance Contractor.

California Code of Regulations. Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

A pool and spa maintenance contractor installs, replaces or repairs pool motors, pumps, filters, gas heaters and any above ground piping in connection with pools; includes electrical switches, breakers, pool lights, diving boards, existing solar systems that heat pools, pool and spa acid baths and applies vinyl liners to existing surfaces.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.