Central Coast California Pool Build Thread

jetski559

Aug 20, 2020
California
Well guys, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all the old posts, I've been doing a ton of research on what we might want for our backyard pool on the Central Coast of California.

I've had 3 companies come out and here is the rough details and pricing:
  • 15x32 Rectangle Pool
  • Basic concrete coping, maybe colored
  • Automatic cover by Coverpools (roughly 13.5k)
  • Gas Heater
  • All starter equipment either by Jandy or Hayward, including VS pump, cartridge filter, automation, pool sweep
  • Finish, TBD read below...
My top two companies came out right around 91-92k for the above. Quote A had quartz built in, Quote B it was a 5k extra.

Here were the optional things we probably will want:
  • Quote A had SWG for 4800, Quote B was 1900 (don't love this difference...) (Note Quote A the PB is super against SWG)
  • Quote A had 24in raised bond beam wall w/ 3 sheer descents for 8800, Quote B had 32 in raised wall with 3 sheer descents for 8800
  • Concrete decking at around $9 per square foot
  • Quote B is offering ecofinish for for around $9600
  • Quote A and B are both offering slide for kids for around $3500
I just got a little bit sad when I read another thread on here with a quote from the Central Valley and the base pool price was 33k (link here) . My base price is around $55-65k from what they originally told me.

Maybe I'm just forced to pay the premium for living on the Central Coast (San Luis Obispo Area). The guys in the valley get things cheaper. Or maybe I hire a contractor from the valley that is 3 hours away and they commute to build my pool?

Definitely feeling overwhelmed, as the price is climbing high, and Quote B is getting up to nearly 120k with ecofinish!! Maybe I just pull the plug and don't get a pool....Both PB are putting pressure on me saying they are basically full due to too many people booking pools due to COVID19 and are wanting me to make a decision soon.

I'm scared of plaster because the startup and re-plaster process in 10-15 years at a cost of 10-15 grand. I'm scared of ecofinish because its 'new' and has to be installed correct and its pricey!! Quote B doesn't even like quartz. We don't want pebbletec because its too rough for us... (our opinion). So I'm kind of torn on the finish...

Anyways, looking for comments / suggestions / encouragment / direction, etc haha

Thanks for listening!

gingrbredman

Jun 10, 2020
Chicagoland
That is a lot of decisions to process, but one thing to think about from your post..
Quote A had SWG for 4800, Quote B was 1900 (don't love this difference...) (Note Quote A the PB is super against SWG)
Sounds to me like PB A is giving you a "I'll give em a price so high they won't go with this option" price.
$4,800 seems ridiculous for SW.

One other thing to consider in your discussions regarding the slide and the auto cover. In my area, $3,500 is about the going rate for a slide. We went a bit higher, but in that ballpark. Not sure about Coverpools, but I know Coverstar has a feature (an add on) that can kill the power to the cover if the slide has water moving through it. A safety feature that will not allow the auto cover to close if water is moving so as not to allow the slide to pour water on the cover if closed accidently. I have the Pentair Intellicenter, and Coverstar, and a slide, so getting all of these things to "talk" to each other through the automation will allow us to turn the slide water on through the system, and the cover will not close if the slide is on. Once the slide is off, the cover can close. Again, this is Pentair and Coverstar, but something to talk about with the builders as you narrow down your choices.

The quoting process can seem overwhelming at first, but once you get your information, there will be more discussions to happen between you and the potential builders, and you will slowly begin to narrow your decision down.

One thing that helped me a lot was the build threads here. A lot of people had a lot of the same decisions as you and their successes, and possible failures, can help you get to the right builder.

Price is going to be more dependent on all the quotes you get back. It will be very hard to compare your quotes to others on this site, just based on all the unique factors, location among them.

Good luck!

jetski559

Aug 20, 2020
California
That is a lot of decisions to process, but one thing to think about from your post..

Sounds to me like PB A is giving you a "I'll give em a price so high they won't go with this option" price.
$4,800 seems ridiculous for SW.

One other thing to consider in your discussions regarding the slide and the auto cover. In my area, $3,500 is about the going rate for a slide. We went a bit higher, but in that ballpark. Not sure about Coverpools, but I know Coverstar has a feature (an add on) that can kill the power to the cover if the slide has water moving through it. A safety feature that will not allow the auto cover to close if water is moving so as not to allow the slide to pour water on the cover if closed accidently. I have the Pentair Intellicenter, and Coverstar, and a slide, so getting all of these things to "talk" to each other through the automation will allow us to turn the slide water on through the system, and the cover will not close if the slide is on. Once the slide is off, the cover can close. Again, this is Pentair and Coverstar, but something to talk about with the builders as you narrow down your choices.
Good point, a friend left their spa on one night overflowing onto the cover, they learned (new pool for them)
The quoting process can seem overwhelming at first, but once you get your information, there will be more discussions to happen between you and the potential builders, and you will slowly begin to narrow your decision down.
The builders are so busy I don't think they 'want' discussions. They will move onto the next guy who just wants a pool and will pay the money. However, I'm sure once I sign a contract and put some money down, they will obviously start talking to me more.
One thing that helped me a lot was the build threads here. A lot of people had a lot of the same decisions as you and their successes, and possible failures, can help you get to the right builder.
Yes, was doing this last night and found lots of similar discussions! And found out another CA pool company doing ingrounds for 33k LOL
Price is going to be more dependent on all the quotes you get back. It will be very hard to compare your quotes to others on this site, just based on all the unique factors, location among them.

Good luck!
Yeah, I guess for this area they were fairly similar. And during COVID times. Maybe pools will be cheaper in 5 years after COVID tones down, but sadly I guess we don't want to wait that long haha

It's fun living in one of the most expensive place in the US, but not fun on the pocketbook.

TampaKathy

Gold Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Tampa, FL
You're spending a lot of money...ask all the questions you want...if they stop answering you then at least you have a lot more knowledge for when you move onto the next guy. I'm getting the same, "we're booking up" pressure in FL...and I'm like, I'll have a decision when I have a decision.

Njmurvin

Nov 8, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
I'm scared of plaster because the startup and re-plaster process in 10-15 years at a cost of 10-15 grand.

Anyways, looking for comments / suggestions / encouragment / direction, etc haha

Thanks for listening!
My pool is over 32 years old still with the original plaster. Only in the last couple of years has it started showing signs of needing replastering. I am hoping I can wait it out until the PBs are not so busy (and pricey).

jetski559

Aug 20, 2020
California
Funny story, I called another PB located around 3 hours away in Fresno (just seeing what they would quote..) and asked about aquabright ecofinish. He said "I've been building pools since 1972 and I've never heard of that..." Either this guy is super old school and not excited to try new finishes, or ecofinish really isn't making strides like some of the marketing material claims...