xpert66

Apr 11, 2021
Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Can anyone recommend the proper size cartridge filter. I've read it should be sized properly with your pump otherwise it will not filter correctly. I have a Hayward variable speed 2.7HP pump. The pool is 15x30 above ground (approximately 12,000 gallons) and will be about 30 feet away from the pool. Thanks in advance!

X,

Total Bull Feathers!!! The bigger the filter the better. I suggest that you get the biggest filter you can afford.

The larger the filter the less back pressure and the slower you can run the pump.. The bigger the filter the less you have to clean it..

I have a 17K pool and a CCP-520 filter.. Works great. I could go all year without cleaning it, but normally clean it twice a year.. Keep in mind we do not close our pools down here. You could go all season and just clean it when you close for the winter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Rich807
X,

Total Bull Feathers!!! The bigger the filter the better. I suggest that you get the biggest filter you can afford.

The larger the filter the less back pressure and the slower you can run the pump.. The bigger the filter the less you have to clean it..

I have a 17K pool and a CCP-520 filter.. Works great. I could go all year without cleaning it, but normally clean it twice a year.. Keep in mind we do not close our pools down here. You could go all season and just clean it when you close for the winter.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim! I'll get the biggest I can. I've read higher HP pumps would push water through the filter too fast and not clean the water properly. So what size (square feet) filter would be appropriate?

Since you have a variable-speed pump, you should take advantage of its capabilities and run on a lower speed for a long time. Saves energy, saves filter cleanings, keeps water cleaner. As each pool is different and requires its own set-up it would be hard to make a solid recommendation, but there are a couple of long-time members, like mknauss and Jimrahbe who can give some advice based on their pools. You'll find them in discussions on VSP's.
If you can't do this, hire a professional. Its worth it in the long run.

Reactions: xpert66
Hey Xpert !!! The flow/sizing charts don’t take into account your environment. While it’s easy for filter XYZ to maintain ABC gallons, one oak tree nearby can dump 5 buckets of pollen snots into the pool overloading a smaller filter in days. Farm dust, leaves, pollen, etc all need to be factored in as they will clog up the filter far faster than its intended use for the water alone.

If you live on a golf course like grass field, I wouldn’t worry about it. If you have any trees within a couple hundred feet, I’d go as large as they make for any style filter. I was heavily treed at my last house and took down many near the pool. It didn’t matter. I would routinely watch leaves from the front yard or the neighbors yard float sideways on the breeze. When they got to the pool area which was wind protected by the house, they would drop like bricks.

In your area a Pentair clean and clear 320 or any 300 sq ft will work perfect for you.. I have had mine 8 years, no issues.. I clean it once a year and have 2 sets of filters.. When I close I pop out the old filters put the old clean filters in and start it up in the spring :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.