Cartridge Filter Color

DaciaT

Jun 17, 2019
Breaux Bridge, LA
Current readings: OTO TC approx. 6, PH 7.4-7.5, TA 320, CYA 40

Every summer, I fill my seasonal pool with water from the water hose (municipal water). My PH and alkalinity are always high out of the tap. My experience has been that the first few days my backwash water/filter color is dark orange, and then after adding the muriatic acid there are a couple days (maybe less) of blue-green backwash water/filter color. After that color disappears, the backwash water or filter color is either colorless or just yellow/brown from dirt and bugs. It is after the blue-green backwash phase that my pool water is really sparkling. The process takes about 5 days for me.

But not this year. I'm on day 5, and I'm still hosing dark orange water out of this tiny cartridge filter. I've adjusted my PH down. My water is clear, but not sparkling. It's kind of dingy.

Could be because the pump is small, so taking longer to filter out the iron. The iron could be making the water look dingy.

Could be because it needs to be shocked. My TC could actually be too much CC, due to all the water bugs that invade when I fill up a new pool. Like...a LOT of water bugs. Think plague proportions. I initially had an off-the-chart bright yellow reading after a start-up 1# of shock followed by Bioguard Silk Tabs floating in the pool for 2-3 days and zero CYA. Then I found your website on Day 3 and removed the floating tabs, returned all my unopened chemicals, bought CYA, bleach and a test kit. (Side note: I use Bioguard BackUp 2 as an algaecide because bugs can't live in it. All the bugs died within 24 hours. I realize TFP does not advocate the use of an algaecide, however...plague of water bugs. BackUp works.)

On Day 4 my TC was still off the chart yellow even though all my CYA wasn't even all dissolved yet and I had not added any chlorine in 24 hours. I thought it was odd, under bright hot sunny skies. I wondered how much of that was FC vs. CC. I found some threads on your webpage and decided that since I was smelling chlorine in the air I should shock with the bleach that I had bought. Then an hour later my TC was dark orange. At sundown the TC was off the chart bright yellow again, still a slight chlorine odor in the air, I decided to shock with 2 quarts of bleach again last night. I had confirmed my CYA was 40 in the meantime.

Today, Day 5, my TC was about 6 all day and even at sundown. I decided not to add any more bleach and just see what happens. There is not a bleach odor in the air...but if I put my face over the water and inhale I can smell it slightly.

The water looks better but it doesn't look like it normally looks by Day 5. Here are my questions.

What is the significance of the dark orange filter followed by the blue/green filter?

Would you trust that the OTO TC reading of 6ish is FC tonight, given the appearance of the water, the appearance of the dirty orange filter, and the test results over days 3-5?

If I'm unwilling to pay $$ for a bigger test kit, should I take a sample to my pool store and see if they get a FC reading?

I just don't like how the water looks, the filter looks, and don't know if I can trust a simple OTO reading during start-up. I've been a pool store Bioguard user for a decade...I trust them...I feel like I'm assuming and guessing.

Welcome to TFP!! Glad you found us!

At the very least, get a separate FAS-DPD kit so that you know how much free chlorine and combined chlorine you actually have. An OTO kit is just going to tell you there's chlorine there, not how much. A stand-alone FAS-DPD kit runs about $20 on Amazon.

We generally don't trust pool store tests. You're going to do the most accurate testing, because you have a vested interest in the quality of your water. No one loves your pool like you do.

Sounds to me like you have iron and copper in your water, precipitating out. You may need a metal sequestrant. You can get metals readings at the pool store.

I'm sure bigger guns than I will be a long soon to give you some ideas. We'll get you straightened out!

Welcome to TFP!! Glad you found us!

At the very least, get a separate FAS-DPD kit so that you know how much free chlorine and combined chlorine you actually have. An OTO kit is just going to tell you there's chlorine there, not how much. A stand-alone FAS-DPD kit runs about $20 on Amazon.

We generally don't trust pool store tests. You're going to do the most accurate testing, because you have a vested interest in the quality of your water. No one loves your pool like you do.

Sounds to me like you have iron and copper in your water, precipitating out. You may need a metal sequestrant. You can get metals readings at the pool store.

I'm sure bigger guns than I will be a long soon to give you some ideas. We'll get you straightened out!
Thank you Lorri! I can invest $20 bucks in a FAS-DPD kit. It'll be worth the peace of mind. I'm too OCD to assume my TC reading is FC. (I can't find this in a store, so I can have it today?)

This morning my TC is at 5, and my PH is 7.5. I haven't added chlorine since the 2 quarts I added night before last. The water is clear, I can easily see the bottom, but the clarity isn't good.

My TA is high at 320, and it looks like my PH is starting to drift up.

Has anyone ever seen the blue/green filter? What does that mean? It isn't algae. It happens the day after the dark orange is cleared up, and when I'm in the muriatic stage of balancing things. Is it a chemical reaction? I've seen it with paper cartridges, and also when I switched to sand. Lasted a couple days.

Buy a small test kit over strips, i learned the hard way strips are good for saying chlorine yes or no but not much else. If you have a pool store have them check for iron.
Your TA is up there. If thats correct maybe the folks here can advise how to get it down and not mess up everything else

Reactions: DaciaT
Buy a small test kit over strips, i learned the hard way strips are good for saying chlorine yes or no but not much else. If you have a pool store have them check for iron.
Your TA is up there. If thats correct maybe the folks here can advise how to get it down and not mess up everything else
From what I've seen, high TA just means that pH will drift up quickly and you'll add acid to neutralize the pH (which will also take down some of the TA). Repeat over time and eventually TA will come down.

Merged threads - TFP Mod

Reading 7am: TC: 5 PH: 7.5 TA: 320 CYA: 40
Water is clear but clarity could be better. My filter is dark orange, I'm hosing it 2-3x a day (I'm on Day 6). This morning I have some settling on the bottom that when stirred puffs up and looks the same color as my filter, so I'm deducting that is probably the iron that is affecting the water clarity, and not contaminants. (Anyone agree?)

Last addition of bleach: Jun 19, 8pm, 2 quarts to shock.
Reading on Jun 20 7am: TC dark/bright orange
Reading on Jun 20 midday: TC approx. 6 (the highest measure on my OTO test is 5, the bright yellow was probably one level higher)
Reading on Jun 20 8pm: TC 5-6
Reading this morning: TC 5, pool odorless, water clear and almost sparkling except for what I'm assuming is iron

I'm waiting on a FAS-DPD test. In the meantime I only know my TC. Should I add bleach? Or trust the OTO test that my chlorine is okay?

Is it normal to not need to add bleach every day?

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once you pass all the criteria for a successful SLAM, then you will be only adding chlorine every day. During the SLAM it should be several times per day.

Once you pass all the criteria for a successful SLAM, then you will be only adding chlorine every day. During the SLAM it should be several times per day.
Without a FAS-DPD test, it is hard to determine if I've passed the criteria for a successful SLAM. Yesterday my pool sat in full sun, water is nearly bathtub warm, and TC dropped from "dark orange" at sunrise to "6" by midday, then held steady overnight, reading a "5" this morning. Without adding any chlorine. Do I need to do anything?

FYI: On the day before, I started with a TC of 6, there was chlorine odor in the air, I decided to shock the pool. Using the calculator, I assumed a FC of 0, and added the recommended amount of bleach to bring it to 16. I did that in the morning. I checked the TC all day. Most of the day it stayed orange. By sundown, it dropped to bright yellow again, I shocked it again with the recommended amount of bleach. My TC was still bright orange the next morning. Would you assume my SLAM was successful?

With your volume pool - you can either dump the water and start over, following the TFP Seasonal pools article, or get a FAS-DPD test kit.

What is the significance of the dark orange filter followed by the blue/green filter?

I am wondering whether or not there is copper in the soil and water supply around Breaux Bridge -- at least enough copper to make a noticeable difference in pool water.

The federal EPA has had a two-decade long agreement with the Louisiana Dept of Health & Hospitals to sample and monitor the amount of lead and copper in municipal drinking water throughout the state. Even with that initiative, there have been numerous cases in Louisiana of local water supply infrastructure suffering from deterioration and neglect sufficient to allow background lead and copper to leach into drinking water and for ppm to rise to unsafe levels. Widespread historical use of copper tubing for plumbing in Louisiana can also be a contributing factor.

When muriatic acid and copper combine:

Compounds Formed with Muriatic Acid
When copper is allowed to react with muriatic acid over time it will form a blue-green colored copper chloride ...

• Wow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.