Can't Screw Collars to CircuPool Bypass Cell

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
Has anybody had problems with the CircuPool union collars not fitting the bypass cell? They thread onto the real cell just fine, but they will not thread on the bypass cell more than a half turn before they bind. I thought maybe it was just dirty and cranked it with my hand a little and it took putting it in the hot water to get it off. The threads are clean and free of burrs or visible defects. The thread pitch is not obviously different, but neither collar will thread whatsoever.

They came from discountsaltpool.com along with the RJ60+ unit. The nearest I can tell is that the crests on the bypass cell's threads are a little "fatter" than the crests on the CircuPool cell's threads. I could see how they might bind if the roots on the collar's threads are narrower. Maybe the thread angles are a little different. Hard to say.

Last edited:
Hey SBC - sorry about your luck with the RJ...

To answer your question from your first post: Also purchased the by-pass cell from DSP when I order my unit last year. Use mine when I winterize. Fit no issue, and I ran with it for about a week at the start of this season.

The threads on my rings are the same as the threads on a Charlotte pipe threaded 2" adapter. These were the fittings on either end of the by-pass pipe I received.

The bypass I received did not have any fittings on the end.
That gave me the idea to test whether the bypass will thread into the cleaning stand I also purchased. It's a little tight, but it does thread. On closer examination I suspect the issue is that the threads on the bypass are slightly misaligned where they joined two halves to make the ends. If this is the cause, that's a slim margin on the tolerances between the CircuPool collars and the bypass.

I'm not sure how to thread a half circle of pipe or why it would make sense to thread it before welding the two halves together, though. But there they are, clearly two welded halves not quite aligned.

2020-07-20 08_27_52.jpg

Either way, calling DSP now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UPS just delivered the replacement bypass cell. It will not thread either. It's the same story: a half turn and it binds. It feels exactly like it's cross-threaded, except it's not.

I'm wondering if CircuPool has changed the threads slightly. I've given some serious consideration to an id-10-t error, but if the issue was me I wouldn't think I'd be able to thread the cell so easily like butter smooth. I also would expect not being able to thread the bypass on the cleaning stand with zero effort, but that's not a problem either. I have tried upside down and sideways a half-dozen times and I guarantee that these union collars will not thread onto these bypass cells.

Now I'm more worried about what I'm going to do if the cell is out of service than I am about getting settled up with DSP. Maybe I have to order a bypass cell directly from CircuPool?

EDIT - I just noticed the big difference in the threads, and I can't believe I didn't notice it until now. An image is worth a thousand words.

2020-07-23 20_08_27-Clipboard.jpg

There are large flat bottoms in the valleys of the thread grooves on the real cell, but not on the bypass cell. Instead the bypass cell's threads have the flat area at the peaks, where you would expect them on a mating thread's profile (like the collar's).

2020-07-23 20_24_21-Clipboard.jpg

Last edited:
Contacted CIrcuPool directly and they also shipped a bypass cell at no charge (kudos to CircuPool). Unfortunately, just like the other two, it does not fit the collars. I am now looking at replacing the collars, which is unfortunately going to involve more plumbing work than I'd like since there isn't enough pipe left to cut them out and repair with couplings. I'm going to have to repipe everything from the heater to the diverter valve.

I am going to ship back the three bypass cells and request that they ship new collars already screwed down tight onto a bypass cell. If I still have problems I know I'm the one with the problem.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Interesting. I was the oddball who bought a "Universal40" -- old school unit.. and I bought and did all of the plumbing with the dummy in place before putting in the cell. The dummy cell for that unit looks like it was hand made out of hardware store parts but fits just like the real thing. Interesting that this is happening. I wonder if it's a classic case of metric vs imperial "close enough" not being.

If they are super close you could probably re-thread the dummy cell with a die of the correct size....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.